Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 PM
ChaChing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Chingman, I think you probably need a bit more space for indoor flying - I have an unobstructed floor area of about 10 x 10 feet. It did take me a bit of practice and tweaking to get the heli controllable in such a confined space. Trimming the thing properly is 90% of the battle. You should also try using the responsive setting on the controller, it is nearly imposible to control on novice setting in a small space. The novice setting doesn't respond to the emergency stop command very quickly either - it is horrible to see you heli ripping itself apart while you have no choice except to watch.

It flys well outside, but there must be very little wind, using the nose cone helps, but reduces effective flight time. I think you are correct in concluding it is more of an indoor toy.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
ChaChing

Peter, I made my tail wing from polystyrene foam salvaged from the packaging of some electric scales. I carved it from a 1.5x2x3cm block, using a wet blade, and then completly laminated it with clear adhesive tape. The tape makes it much stronger and allows the wing to be glued firmly with (non-foam safe cyanoacrylate glue) superglue, to the tail. I still haven't fitted one of my other designs because the first one I made, using the method desribed above, is still holding firm!

I believe Ferndale cut his from a Dempron plate but I'm not sure what he used to secure them.

Ferndale, As far as batteries are concerned I will propably be ordering from Fullriver or IBT
Fullriver model 652026H10C which is a 200mah/90mOhms battery 4.9g (20x26x6.5mm)
IBT model 482030 which is 230mah and only 4.8g (20x30x5mm)

The stock battery is Fullriver 452026H10C 130mah/95mOhms 3.6g (20x26x4.5mm)

I have cycled my battery over 200 times, Fullriver rate it with a minmum of 300 cycles and an average of 500 - I assume the maximum would be about 600. This means that I won't be changing my battery for a few weeks at least. I will start enquiring into prices soon, but I would not expect to pay more than $6 each for the Fullriver 200mah battery, the stock battery sells for less than $5. I saw that the official spares site in europe was selling a replacement battery pack for euro15.90 (for two batteries), thats about $20 i think - you can buy the same batteries from indoorflyer.com for 2x$5, half the price!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:54 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Chaching, this is good info. Not suprisingly that is the same battery that is in the AA. Which means I want several. I got a new gyrotor today, ordered it a couple of monthes ago. This is the new shipment. It sounds like it is generating more rpm. It also seems to fly better. I may just be wishing but that is how seems after first try. I would think this is new toy is better toy thought process, but I also got a Picoo z in the same box. The picoo z is flat out better than either of my picco z's. Any thoughts? Tim
Old 10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
fxman007

Ok, I'm starting to think this has to be the worst $70.00 I have spent. I had been waiting to get a Picco and my LHS said he would be getting some soon and a new one that is a little bigger. I walked in Friday and low and behold there is a stack of Piccos and a stack of Gyrotors. On his suggestion I got the Gyrotor. Well I got the first one home and it was of course squirrelly. About 2 flights into it it wouldn't stop rotating to the right uncontrollably. My little brother has been waiting about 2 months to find a Picco so off to the store we went. I took the Gyrotor back thinking it has to Be something wrong with it. My LHS is pretty much dedicated to helis'. The owner didn't seem too happy about the exchange. However, he did it . Besides my little brother decided to buy a Gyrotor (another $70.00). I wouldn't have gone with 2 more but I read through this thread and figure I had just got a bad one. Well I got this one home and less then 24 hours later the same thing. It's just flinging to the right. Has anyone had this experience? If so is there any solution. To avoid bad feelings with my LHS I really don't want to have to take it back. My tail rotor is spinning but it doesn't seem to be enough to hold it self at full right stick and full trim.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Gyroplamsa

I had the same thing and found a hair in the tail rotor. I got it out with a needle and the spinning stopped. I also put some oile in the tail rotor and believe firmly that it is now flying better than before. I also took my first gyrotor back but found out, that the heli needs a couple of charges to fully power up.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM
fxman007

My little brother's flew great right out of the box. I took the tail off to get some hair out also. It will screw right off. However there are no threads it seems to screw/slide into some sort of foam product. I have charged it about 10 times. 3 of which I let it totally discharge. I'm still having the same problem. Are there replacement parts available? Not not has anyone used parts from another company.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
SnitGTS

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a micro helicopter to fly indoors on those windy days when I can't fly any of my AA's or other planes outside. After reading a lot of messages on the forums, I can't figure out if the Picoo Z or the Gyrotor is the better helicopter. Which do you guys suggest?
Thanks!
Snit
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
fxman007

I say the Picco, I'm having problems with my 2nd Gyrotor. Although I did get it to fly after much tinkering. From what I have seen the Picco is indestructible, whereas the Gyrotor is bigger therefore more torque on the parts on crashes. Spare parts don't seem available. Just seems like it will break easier. I'm sure some of the guys that have had theirs longer might disagree. I'm not sure if this is true with the Picco but the Gyrotor does not immediately throttle down when you do. So it will fly for a few seconds after you try to stop. Just my .001 cents
Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 PM
SnitGTS

Thanks for your honest answer, I appreciate it!

Snit
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Raiderjet

I have had the Gyrotor about a month and have not flown it much. After sitting on the self for two weeks I charged it up to fly and it would not start at all. Nothing. No sound or movement. I changed TX battery, still no motor movement, nothing. I am planning the return, but is there anything I can do before I return it? I note there are few people discussing the Gyrotor, could it be low sales?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
OhmDr

First thing you need to do is make sure that your transmitter is on the right channel. These units have 3 channels on the TX, but the heli is configured to one of them.

Second thing you need to check is that the light on the heli comes on when your turn it on. If it doesn't, the heli doesn't have juice.

You also need to make sure that the power lights on the transmitter light up when you press the power control... Left.

Hope this helps. I just got mine this weekend and it works really nice. I'm able to fly an entire charge (8-10 minutes) without crashing or really hard landings. So far I'm using the normal setting, which isn't as responsive, but I figure I need the practice. I'm flying in the garage, so the flight ceiling is pretty low.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Raiderjet

My light did not come on, good point. TX lights are all good. My Gyrotor is obviously dead. I do not know why. The switch was off. I wonder if there was a closed connection somewhere, perhaps a bad switch. Look out out there! Channel was correct and checked on the others. Bad Gyrotor.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:02 PM
OhmDr

I would agree that it sounds like a defective copter. - I thought of one other thing to check....
When you plug in your heli to the charger, do you have a red and green light on? Does the green charge light go out after a while?
If yes, then the gyrotor should be fully charged up.
If not, then the heli isn't getting a charge. - Check and make sure the charge wire is connected properly. It should only plug in one way.

You might also could try powering on the heli while the charging cabe is plugged in to see if the blue light on the heli comes on.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 PM
OhmDr

OK Guys... You are ALL in trouble now.
I was out shopping last Sunday for a new float/valve for the toilet, and ended up coming home with a Gyrotor. (Don't ask) - I couldn't leave it behind since they were asking $19.99 for it. - I didn't come home with the toilet repair parts.
I'm getting 8-9 minute flight times and 10 minutes total battery out of the Gyrotor.
Here is a video clip I uploaded to youtube of the Gyrotor. - Stop playing it at the 8:30 mark or you will get to listen to the air compressor kick in and run for the last minute and a half. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra6Wgog7kVc

Anyway, I've been flying it in the garage for the past week, and have been able to do "OK" with it, but the trim has to be almost all the way to the left. - I've even gotten comfortable enough to fly it while my '49 Dodge is sitting in the second stall... I tried flying outside, but can't trim it enough for that, and I can't find the nose cone that is supposed to be included in the box. If anyone knows where to look in the box, I'll check again.

Last night I went out and bought a PiccoZ. Also a great little heli. The boards for that unit are full of mods. Does anyone have any great mods for the Gyrotor? I did experiment with some extra paper below the tail, like the PiccoZ has, but that made the heli pretty difficult to control.

I'll take a picture of the two helis next to each other soon and post. There is a BIG difference in size.

Ohm Dr
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

ohmdr, I have yet to begin tweaking my gyrotors. As long as daylight is available I fly my aero ace mods. Soon the clock will turn and it will be dark outside, early. I can fly my lighted aces, or turn to picoos and gyrotors. As an airframe the gyrotor has only 2 grams of body weight, see an earlier page- I gave the exact weight. Wings or a different body come to mind
Old 10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
fxman007

Well ask and you shall receive. My Gyrotor was doing it's flying after I throttle down thing and it broke the top blade by the weight. Which sucks because I had actually got it to fly. Any ideas as to getting a replacement? I used to do special fx makeup so I am going to try to do some molding to see if I can at least find a way to mold a new plastic piece.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The rain has come, and darkness is early. I flew the picoos tonight, if the weather continues, gyrotors tomorrow. Tim
Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM
fl0PPsy

I just picked up a Gyrotor yesterday and I'm finding the same nose pulls right issue that someone else has already mentioned. Did anyone manage to fix this?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:02 AM
fl0PPsy

I managed to fix the turning right problem. I took apart the rear rotor and found a hair wrapped around the shaft. After removing the hair and applying a little bit of 3in1 oil the Gyrotor flies very well.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 PM
cal_gecko

where can I buy one of these?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

try hobbytron, I have 3, I don't have the indoor space to fly them however. Tim
Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
onesky

this toy was a christmas present that my gf made to me; a vey nice toy but it needs some mods i think.
ok, this is my first attempt to give a more controllable flight to my Gyro
[link=http://www.imagebee.org/viewer.php?id=3616CIMG3113.JPG][/link]
[link=http://www.imagebee.org/viewer.php?id=7009CIMG3112.JPG][/link]
[link=http://www.imagebee.org/viewer.php?id=1727CIMG3111.JPG][/link]

i didnt have much battery to perform a full test but now it's much better
And last, i let the heli to take off from my hand, i havent much space and that way i avoid many crash.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 AM
poprocks01

I got a Picco for Christmas, flew the hell out of it and broke it on the 3rd day. Most definately pilot error. That little guy took quite a bit of abuse before finally giving up the ghost. So, I replaced it today with a Gyrotor. I think I prefer the Gyrotor ... a bit more stable. One problem I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered: towards the end of the battery's charge, the tail rotor will suddenly go into overdrive sending the heli spinning to the right. Flyable, but right-hand circle after right-hand circle. After a recharge, it's back to normal.

Anyone had this or similar problem?

AG
Old 12-31-2006, 06:12 AM
ALAN GREEN

Hi Guys, one of the blades on the tail rotor broke off as it hit the sofa !
Does anybody know if spare tail blades are available and from where ?
Seems expensive to scape it after only five flights.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 AM
sama

Hey, just wondering why my Gyrotor turns right better then left? its done that right out of the box. And also why is it called a gyrotor?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.