Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Sama, it is the big brother of the picco z, same general flight characteristics. Tim
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
nsr250

Hi all,

I got my gyrotor the other day. Charged it up and played a couple of rounds before it crashed while the rotors were still running. Now, the rear rotor doesn't move at all. I can't tell if one of those wires going to the rear rotor is broken but it seems unlikely. I wonder if the rear motor is burned somehow during the crash? I can move the rotor with my finger smoothly when no throttle is applied but it seems have some force holding it still while the front rotor is spinning?

Any suggestions on what to do here? Some of you guys mentioned that you took apart the rear motor and got tangled hair out? Can someone tell me how you did that?
Thanks a lot.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM
TriggerInsanity

I had the same problem with my Gyrotor. I used WD40 and a tiny needle to remove the clump of hair.
My Gyrotor flies perfectly. I found the key to flying it, you have to turn off the helicopter and remote control, then set the trim setting on the control to about center(This way when you adjust it during flight you don't run out of trim radius.)Turn the control on first(critical)then the helicopter second. Fly the helicopter low until you get the trim set right, make very slight adjustments, oversteer sends it out of control every time if you do it fast. One thing you have to understand is that it takes more thrust and more battery to turn left, that's why when you circle left it usually plummets. When you turn right the rear motor uses less power, therefore the main blades get more power, that's why it goes up. You'll probably experience the heli spinning right later in flight uncontrollably because the battery is too weak to spin the rear tail rotor fast enough to turn left.

[:@]
Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM
TriggerInsanity

Also, the only way to go forward it to hurl the heli to the right(with the right side of the heli facing in the direction you want to go.)then gently turn left when you have made progress in the right direction. You have to aim in the direction you want to go with the right side of the helicopter.(It's pretty strange but it is the only way to get anywhere without a battery weakening weight on the nose of the copter.)
Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
TriggerInsanity

It appears to me that the Gyrotor was designed to fly up and down and in circles, so it's pretty easy to do those things.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 AM
alfredtph

hi guys,

i'm new to RC and got myself a gyrotor recently. Unfortunately, due to my inexperience on helis, I broke the vertical support on the tail coz it crash landed. Anyway i can put in a replacement? i've alse started experiencing the following:

1. sometimes the heli keeps flying after i reduced my throttle to zero - sometimes even after i off my transmitter!
2. sometimes when i take-off, the heli spins uncontrollably for a few seconds be stabilizing. This is after i've done my trimming. only happens once a while.

would appreciate anyone who could enlighten mE!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Sleeze

Hi!
I just got my Gyrotor yesterday. I bought two, one for my friend and one for me.
My heli flies great for a little while but then starts to drop slowly and wont gain more altitude. It acts this way for several minutes but is no fun to fly since it's just descending.
The other heli is different. It has more power for a longer time, and it doesn't slowly loose altitude until the battery is dry like the first one, instead it has almost full power all the way. When the battery is dry the heli stops and falls to the ground.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? It doesn't have any excessive play in the main rotor either.

Also, when opening the heli, do you just cut it open? Any tips?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Is your controller in the novice position? Also, sometimes the battery needs to be charged and discharged several times. Tim
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Sleeze

The controller is set to responsive. I have flown it alot today and yesterday meaning it's been recharged alot of times but it doesnt seem to help. I like the other one better because it has about 3-4 minutes more effective airtime than mine!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Germanarro

The tail rotor of my hile dosen,t work any more after a crash. Some one knows how to fix it?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:17 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Germa, please check your other thread. Tim
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
jeffsinclair

hi guys, just joined the site and just got my gyrotor yesterday. like a few people i've had a fw problems trimming and such like, so i've just added small fins to the tail boom and lubed up the bearing washers with olive oil. it should be just about charged now, so i'm off to see if i can scare the wits out of the cat. talk in a bit if it works.[>:]
Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 AM
airbornhippie

I purchased my gyrotor yesterday, from out of the box it flew in right circles. I resolved this by twisting the tail to a 30 deg angle.

I am a little dissapointed with the little flight time it has ( about 2 minutes until descend ), I have charged it about 8 times now and have

used chain oil to lube all washers. The oil seemed to free up the main rotor as it turns allot smoother and easier by hand.

I do not know how to slow charge the batteries, but I think doing so will increase the flight time, how do I slow charge?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have no clue. If the charger is charging greater than 7.4v you could be onto something. My lipo charger is set for standard cc/cv but I have yet to build a charge rig for the gyrotor. I don't spend enough time with them. I gave one to a friend and he got his trimmed out and was flying all over the place, so I know that they fly well with a touch of work. Tim
Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 PM
akridine

I got this helicopter today and im very impressed with it, its the first rc aircraft ive played with and its so easy to fly indoors with enough room.

when the weather calms down ill be giving it a try outdoors, it should be great fun
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Phantom 1

Aerodynamically speaking, all helicopters lean one way or the other (depending on which way the main rotors turn) while hovering.

To help make sure the heli lifts off straight, manufacturers build them off center that way to help novices. Not to worry. My Honeybee King 2 always hangs to the right a few degrees at hover. See my videos on YoutTube of my HB CCPM. It also hangs sideways. Good luck with your machines.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toyePreIe0c[/link]

Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Bluefire3081

thats a really good point u made about the gyrotor especially the plumetting one. but there is one thing i need some clarifications about. u said that the heli takes more power to turn left but technically speaking, it shouldnt as to turn left the tail rotor has to spin slower or not spin at all hence supporting the torque of the main rotor and helping the heli turn left. and now that the tail rotor spinning slower, the battery consumption should go down...isnt it? thanks for a prompt response.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Phantom 1

ETRM helicopters use more power to turn left than right, with clockwise rotating blades. That is because the motor slows or shuts down and only the torque from the helicopter's body turns it. Again, it must be a clockwise rotating main blades to make it harder to turn left. If it was CCW, it would be harder to turn right. They are all the same. There is only so much torque available when the motor is off. Those tail rotor motors don't reverse, just slow down and turn off. Belt driven tail rotors are more precise, but still need more wind one way than the other. Battery level is negligibly increased, as you fly in forward flight and the motor does not to run so fast, as the tail weather vanes behind the heli, but not enough to matter in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Bluefire3081

Dear Chaching, my gyrotor was flying well but just a few days ago i broke the small stick which sticks out in the tail below the tail rotor. since then as soon as i try to fly the heli it start to spin counterclockwise fast. the trimming helps but not much. the heli is not stable as it used to be. can u suggest some tips. is this problem there because of the missing stick or something else has gone wrong? please help thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Bluefire3081

Dear Phantom, my gyrotor was flying well but just a few days ago i broke the small stick which sticks out in the tail below the tail rotor. since then as soon as i try to fly the heli it start to spin counterclockwise fast. the trimming helps but not much. the heli is not stable as it used to be. can u suggest some tips. is this problem there because of the missing stick or something else has gone wrong? please help thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Bluefire3081

Dear ferndale..my gyrotor is just a few months old. a few days back i broke the little stick which used to stick out in the tail below the tail rotor...though the heli still kept flying well. a few days ago it started to spin clockwise very violently and the trims also would help very little. can u suggest any mods to keep it stable? thanks a lot in advance!!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Julien Haddad

i have the same prob as bluefire can some1 help ? but the one in the tale isnt broke.. and the heli didnt fly from the first time i tried to.
help plz!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Julien Haddad

and thanks !
Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have tried to make these heli's fly and have been unxuccessful Sorry all,

Fern