Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Helix Helicopter

Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
finster1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Helix Helicopter

Most all stores have atleast a 30 day warranty on everything you buy...I always keep the receipt and packaging incase of problems I can take it back for an exchange within the 30 days...If you still have the receipt call malmart and see if they will still exchange it without the packaging...chances are still good at bigger stores like malmart , toys-r-us , target...ect...they dont like giving money back but exchanges are very ez to do...

Ive had mine drop outta air few times too and found it was bad areas for reception in my basement maybe due to florescent lights , metal poles , furnace...ect...cuz I never have them problems in my front room where there isnt so many metal objects around...
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
finster1

Took one of mine apart to see whats inside...

[link=http://www.2kool4u.com/2k_1006/airhogreflex.shtml]Pics Here [/link]
Old 02-17-2007, 03:50 AM
iwuud2

Can extra rotors be purchased for the helix copter? If so, where.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 02:00 AM
finster1

I was reading in another rc forum that you can get spare rotors thru spinmasters website but I have never found any parts as of yet...maybe you can try customer care here [link=http://www.spinmaster.com/spinHq/customerCare/customerCareContactUs.jsp]Spinmaster[/link]
I have 3 sets of blades (12) for mine that I havent used yet...Guess im lucky I havent broke any yet...
Old 02-18-2007, 03:10 AM
iwuud2

My helix came with 1 set, 2 upper and 2 lower. I've broken 2 of the lower blades in the first few hours of flight...lol So one more lower rotor breakage and my helix is sidelined..
I did look thru the spinmaster site, but also did not find replacement parts for the helix. I did a "contact us" on thier site so we will see what thay have to say.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 AM
finster1

Found on rc groups forum about replacement blades: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550730&page=8]Link[/link]

BPD...For more blades call spinmaster at 1-800-622-8339. The cost is $4.95/pair, NOT a complete set of 4 blades, only 2 blades. You must indicate whether you want upper or lower blade set for the reflex. Also shipping was $3.95.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:15 AM
iwuud2

Thank you Finster!! Will give them a call and get some lower blades coming for the next wall bang..LOL
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

What about the little side-pods in between the blades? I just broke one of those this morning.............any ideas?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 AM
finster1

I think your talking about the stabilizers...I bet them are harder to come by than the blades...LOL...It looks you would need the whole assembly to fix it...If you cant get it from spinmaster you might have to fix it yourself...If it broke near the middle Id try something like a small piece of a coffee straw...push both ends of stabilizer into it with a drop of super glue...or glue it and use heat shrink tube over it to strengthen the joint (careful not to get it to hot)...If it broke off near the assembly id use dab of epoxy...everything is fixable...just a matter of how much time and effort you put into it...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Bad Tooth

Yeah, the stabilizer broke off. It broke near the hub assembly. Thanks for the ideas, I was planning to try to glue it back together but hadn't got around to it yet. I'll give it a try......hope it works!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
J_Man

I picked up one last week. I couldn't get it to stop spinning witht he blade. No matter how much I got it to a point where it was a slow spin left or right, but I couldn't get the "sweet spot" to make ti stay straight. It was all over the place too trying to lift it off. There was no way to get it to lift off the way I've seen other describe it.

Needless to say I'm taking it back this week. I gave it the full weekend to try different things and work off of advice given on the various boards. I'll just wait and get something else later.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Bad Tooth

Oh, give it another chance. It does take a bit of patience to get it just right, and even then I have found that there is no such thing as "just right." Mine still spins in certain areas. ie) climbing or descending.[>:] It is definitely not a precision machine, but fun for cold winter days. Maybe you got a lemon?

Trevor
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
iwuud2

I just got my reflex a few days ago, I added a pushpin to the rear tail boom, this helped out so much. I can hover pretty easily with it now. Of course I've broken 2 of the lower rotors, so now I have to give reflex a call and get a few extras coming..
Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 AM
finster1

After about 20-30 flights mine bit the bullet yesterday...the gears were grinding and it was shaking bad...all it did was spin in circles and make grinding noise...thats probly the reason they do death spins because the gears jump a few teeth maybe due to a crash or wear and it throws off the rotor alinment so they dont spin opposite each other...after paying $60 for the ones i have i see them on sale at toys r us for $44 now...figures! It was fun for awhile but im going back to building planes...

Happy Flying!!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 AM
iwuud2

Finster, I just sent you an email about the blades you have for sale.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Steve-o-

I'm fairly new to the R/C scene, recently someone gave me (yes GAVE me!) a Blade CX2 with minor damage (innershaft w/ hub) cost me 8 bucks and now I need to make a few body repairs to get it balanced but not bad for free. I have broken a few blades already indoor so last night I picked up the Air Hogs Reflex. For those wondering I got mine at Toys'R'us for $44.95. They had two on the shelf and after seeing what others have paid I'm tempted to run and get the second one tonight!

I have crashed this thing a few times but got the hang after 10 mins or so. I LOVE this little heli since its got great power for its size and it's just tricky learning to get good turns since you don't have the controls that you do with the higher end models. The digital control is a little tough to get used to but considering it is small, and built to take hard hit (yeah I had it take a 15 ft drop in the living room and took off again like it never happened. Try that with a Blade CX! So if your looking for indoor fun without the worry of destroying your $200 heli this is perfect. Small, tough, collasible blades with good power!... I recommend one and try your closes Toys'R'Us. (Their website currently says it doesn't sell them online FYI.)

PS. The screws in the controller mod that this guy shows on youtube are GREAT. They definitely give you a better feel over all. If anyone has any other great mods for this micro please let me know! Check out this video!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bCrQfPcabP4

STEVEO
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
iwuud2

I'm having problems with my Reflex, here's the problem.
After a fresh charge, I go to power up the reflex, I get a second or 2 of power, then the copter goes dead. The red LED next to the on-off switch is now off. Sometimes a quick "on-off" of the power switch will cure the problem. But it appears to be happening more and more as the days go by. Tonight it took me 6 or 7 on-offs to get a short flight, and at one point the copter did the ol' death drop....
Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
leo_g

Bringing this thread back, c'mon guys... any ideas?? Here's what I did:

On the transmitter:
- Removed throttle spring (fly one handed!)
- Removed metal restrictor rod in the direction stick (no limits, full 360 rotation)
- Added longer antenna (only complaint on these things is the poor reception)

On the bird:
- Removed foam body (less weight and bulky)
- Added Custom fabricated canopy
- Added longer antenna wire (much better reception!)
- Added tail boom (more stable, better center of gravity)
- Removed plastic fan shrouds (much more thrust, and less weight)
- Added a little oil to the bearings (noticeable diffence in left/right stability)

HUGE DIFFERENCE IN EVERY CATEGORY!! It's faster, more stable, better turns, lighter and charges last longer.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
mocars2

Good to see you this might come back. How about some more pics of your Reflex - Isee the antenna but I don't see the tail boom?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:16 PM
peeweecranson

Does the Reflex and the Helix use the same blades. peewee
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
iwuud2

Yes they do. If anyone is looking for extra blades, I have 6 sets of upper blades and 6 sets of lower blades. Email me at
iwuud2atsbcglobal.net. Put Reflex blade in the subject line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85775.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	714761  
Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
MrGoodwreck

ORIGINAL: leo_g

Bringing this thread back, c'mon guys... any ideas?? Here's what I did:

On the transmitter:
- Removed throttle spring (fly one handed!)
- Removed metal restrictor rod in the direction stick (no limits, full 360 rotation)
- Added longer antenna (only complaint on these things is the poor reception)

On the bird:
- Removed foam body (less weight and bulky)
- Added Custom fabricated canopy
- Added longer antenna wire (much better reception!)
- Added tail boom (more stable, better center of gravity)
- Removed plastic fan shrouds (much more thrust, and less weight)
- Added a little oil to the bearings (noticeable diffence in left/right stability)

HUGE DIFFERENCE IN EVERY CATEGORY!! It's faster, more stable, better turns, lighter and charges last longer.

Very cool!...

I have been tempted to do just that, Im also going to take apart my Havoc and rebuilt it onto some Balsa/Bass sticks.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM
pacmanemi

This helicopter is ok if you have never flown a real r/c helicopter but I find it very useless for any real helicopter action way to finicky about control never can keep a constant forward motion. I'm taking mine back.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
bryongaskin

My stabilizer broke near the main shaft. Two different types of super glue would not work; they wouldn't even solidify. So, I picked up JB Weld KWICK, which sets in about 4 minutes. I used a toothpick to combine the two mixtures and to apply the bond to the stabilizer. Also, I needed to add some JB Weld to the opposing stabilizer to balance out the additional weight created by the bonding material. 5 minutes later we were up and running.
Regards,
Bryon

Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

hey leo, another thing you could do to drop some more weight is remove the cross braces that are on the skids. i removed them from mine and the skids are still very durable, and it looks a little more realistic without them, also if you dont mind the ruff appearance take the yellow motor covers off the thrusters, that will also drop some extra weight. looks pretty good but it could look better, ever though about getting some different colored sharpies and giving your canopy some color? it would make it stand out better with adding any significant weight to your bird. also if you have a spare set lying around use a set of the motors from an aero ace in it, i did and it seems to have a little more thrust, and using a set of props from an aero ace will make that bird really get moving, you gotta trim the aero ace props down a little bit because they will hit the rotor blades during step angle changes in flight. theres alot more that can be taken off the bird to drop weight, i went nuts on reducing weight on mine. such as if you look at the motor from the front, you will see a small metalic plastic spacer that sits on the front side of the motor. removing this doesnt effect the spacing on the motor and also drops some weight. good luck with it, chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.