Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 AM
m3pgi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

thanks for the input! I def. need to get one and try this out. It looks very controlable!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:48 AM
geofan49

What about this one?

[link=http://www.rcisland.com/nanochopter3000-c.html]NanoChopter3000 (or is it Nano Chopter 3000? NanoChopter 3000?)[/link]

Anybody seen this? How is it? Is it OK for a beginner, 12 year old?

Searched Google. Can't find any product reviews...
Old 11-23-2006, 06:53 PM
holyschmoley

That one is only 2 channel and doesn't look any better than the pico z, so save your money and get the pico. Either that or the Helix, which I'm using now. It's fun, too, for the price.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:04 PM
stockdaddy

ORIGINAL: geofan49

What about this one?

[link=http://www.rcisland.com/nanochopter3000-c.html]NanoChopter3000 (or is it Nano Chopter 3000? NanoChopter 3000?)[/link]

Anybody seen this? How is it? Is it OK for a beginner, 12 year old?

Searched Google. Can't find any product reviews...
When u scroll down on that page the box says "Picoo Z" Looks like some sort of fake rebrand attempt (marketing scam)

Picoo Z states they are good for 8yr old and up. Even a 5 yr old could fly it and i heard some 3 year olds have flown this before.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:07 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

that particular heli is just a clone of the picco, no differance other than quality of materials and build (probably sub par), that and its an illegal clone, as stockdaddy noted.

i think if a 5 year old can fly an AA, a 5 year old could fly a picoo. they're stable enough for hands off flying (assuming the throttle spring had been removed). it might be tricky for a youngster to actually fly around, but they could probably keep it in the air just fine.

nick
Old 11-24-2006, 03:40 AM
geofan49

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Micro, and all others, Silverlit renamed the picco z the picoo z. If you got to the silverlit page it is now only refered to as the picoo z. Apparently there is a heli company called piccolo and the names were to close. The nano uses picoo pic's mostly, but one shows a wire airframe with an actuator on the tail boom, with a hamster in front of what that actuator controls. I do think the plane is probably a rip-off, just due to stolen pic's.

Tim
Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
holyschmoley

So now I've flown the mosquito, pico z, and helix. The mosquito is the worst for the money. The pico is great for the money. I like the Helix the best, though, because you've got that 3rd channel. After some practice I can control it pretty well, fly it forward, in circles and can keep it in the air until the battery wears out. Some Costcos have them for less than $50, so if I were to recommend any of these cheap heli toys to anybody, it would be the Helix at this point.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 AM
m3pgi

Not sure if its just from using it several times now, but I definitely can control this Heli all across the room now... the first couple flights all it seemed to do is cirlce on its own momentum, I can now get it to move pretty much anywhere I want it to go!! I'm really liking this Heli and have not tried any others. This is my first Heli. Ive only used one other Flying RC toy ( wattage park flyer)...

I added a sticker to the front of my Helix just for the heck of it and I think thats what's helping me control it now. It does want to go forward on its own a bit, but now I can control it by turning it left/right and the Reverse seems to get it to hover in place!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
lamogio73

To tell you the truth, I would go with the bladerunner 2. I have the picooz also. I had pinned a button pin under the front nose of the bladerunner and it goes a lot faster then normal. I can land it on almost anything now. You can find bigger batteries, (which is what I did) I now I get 15 minutes straight flight time. Its a big difference. I have the Hx-242 Dragonfly also from HxToys. And I must say thats a smooth heli. It makes very little noise and its very stable. I got it only for 37 euros on ebay. But I'm going to look into the mini hybrid now. It looks nice. But overall if I were you, I'd get a bladerunner for xmas. Peace.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
bpraditkul

Anyone know about the Beast mini? URL is here:

[link=http://www.hobbytron.com/RCElectricHelicopterSkyKingBeastMiniRemoteControl. html]Beast Mini RC Electric RTR Helicopter[/link]

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 PM
nedMX

looks like a mini dragonfly ripoff
Old 11-29-2006, 03:26 PM
holyschmoley

You might try your local hobby shop, too, to see what they have. I was just at mine and saw a nice model I haven't seen anywhere else for $65. But you never know how any of these things will fly w/out trying them, and some places won't take them back if you don't like them. I like the Helix for a inexpensive disposable toy. I say disposable because eventually that Lipo will burn out and that's it.

I also own the Blade CP, but it's taken me a long time just to learn how to hover it - along with several parts. I wanted something I can fly now and also wanted something to help me learn the basic controls of r/c helicopters but still have fun. I finally splurged today and picked up the Blade CX for $190. They just came out with a new one that has some better electrics and what not over the old model. It's the same price as the old model but comes in red. At least all the parts are replaceable on that one. If you want something really nice that will actually do what you 'tell' it to w/ no constant drifts/etc., that's probably the best way to go. It's pricey compared to these toys but a heck of lot nicer.

I gotta quit buying this crap!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:07 AM
bpraditkul

Hey guys! Just found out that Buy.com has $20 off of the Helix heli when you use Google checkout. So that's $59.99 (original price) + $4.75 (tax) + $5.58 (shipping) = $70.32, with $20 off, the price comes to $50.32. Thought it's a good deal!!

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
JamesSM
My Feedback: (2)

If you look picture of the pico z at the bottom of the page at http://www.hobbytron.com/RCHelicopte...81&PID=1969739

it is identical to the picture of the micro x found at
http://thesavewave.zoovy.com/product...FRJ-SQodCRW0_w

It appears that these are the same product with different brand names.

At 'thesavewave', 3 of the little micro x copters sells for $99.95
Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
micro_builder

the hobbytron picco i believe is a genuine product, the one at thesavewave.com is an illegal clone of the picco. 100 dollars for 3 fake piccoZs, when i could go buy 3 real piccos at 30 dollars and spend less than a 100 bucks (i bet they charge an arm and a leg for shipping).

nick
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
geofan49

Helix = "Air Hogs R/C Helix Helicopter"?

How does it compare with the "Air Hogs Storm Launcher"?

I realize these are two different things...

For a 12 year old, which one would be more fun, and last longer?

The "Air Hogs Storm Launcher" is more expensive, and claims to work on land, water, or air...

Is it durable?

I did a search here for "Air Hogs Storm Launcher" but got no hits.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
m3pgi

there are definitely a bunch of other threads for the storm launcher as well. Try just searching "storm launcher"

I would recommend the Helicopter. Its more durable and can be used indoors everyday, where the Storm Launcher takes some practice and can be broken somewhat easy. You have to be aware of your surroundings and practice flying it. I think its more fun then the helicopter, but it doesnt last very long per charge( about 10minutes-15 minutes) and takes about 2.5 hrs to full charge. where the Helicopter last about 13 minutes and takes about an hour and 15 minutes to charge.

I have both and like both equally, I just dont take the SL out as much. It's nice for a calm day in an open field. on the road its fun, but if you plan on flying it don't land it on the edge of a curb...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:26 AM
JamesSM
My Feedback: (2)

Micro Builder -
How can you tell that the hobbytron 'copter is genuine and the SaveWave an illegal clone? The pictures of the controller and helicopter, and the specifications are identical. It looks to me like SaveWave might have just bought the same product out of the same factory and rebranded it.

Of course, the actual product might not match the pictures or the whole thing might be a fraud. If it's genuine, the $100 price for 3 includes shipping.

Where do you pick up the pico z for $30?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM
fastmax

Toys R Us has them for 29.00 and Radio Shack has them for 39.00. I think I even heard that Walmart is now selling them for 29.00
Old 12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
micro_builder

JamesSM,
a piccoZ heli, with a differant name, is usually a clone. i believe silverlit using PiccoZ/PicooZ and airhogs soon to be using the name Havoc Heli, are the only two "official" names. although with that said, some clones even use the piccoz name - there's usually subtle differances that can be found, but they're hard to see when looking at a web page. there's a thread going on over on RCG in the micro RTF forum about the clones, they're starting to pop up everywhere, stealing pretty much the entire design of the heli, but using a differant name. most of the time the clones show up on not-so-well-known web pages, bought by a company that doesnt even know its a clone in the first place. a lot of the time they'll jack up the price to 100+ dollars, then put it "on sale" for 50 to make it look like a good deal. its a real bummer too, cause all the money that silverlit spends on lawyer fees fighting the cloning companies, could've gone towards the next generation of Picco heli.

Toys R Us i believe is still selling the picco at 30 bucks. the packaging is a little differant (verticle box, as apposed to radio shacks horizontal box), and i think the TRU version has only one spare tail prop, the RS version has 2.

nick
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 PM
holyschmoley

So here's gotta be a 1st on a heli crash.

My 16 mo.-old daughter likes to watch the Helix fly around. She also likes to fetch it when it crashes. I decided to hold it and let her play with the controller, and it kinda scared her when she hit the throttle. After several more attempts, she was used to it and seemed to like it, so I decided to let go of it in the family room next to the kitchen the next time she throttled it up. The thing goes flying into the kitchen and plops into a huge pot of uncovered stew I just made. Luckily the stew was thick, so it didn't go to deep. I pulled it out and looked at it while my wife was laughing. Then my daughter hit the throttle again, flinging little bits of stew all over my shirt, face and hair. I got the stew cleaned off the outside the little copter and ran it a bit to fling any lingering pieces off. It seems to run okay. Hopefully the inerds and motors didn't get too wet. I'll let it dry until tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 AM
m3pgi

haha
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
jaejw1

i just bought these 2 here.. how good are they.. iom still waiting on the shipment..

http://www.raidentech.com/sy2rarecorch.html

http://www.raidentech.com/wosmmimirare.html
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM
m3pgi

how much was shipping? INterested in the 1st one you bought. put up a review once you try it out. Ive only tried the Helix and I really like it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.