Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

Old 11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
holyschmoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

What's the best cheap indoor helicopter? I've been reading posts on the Air hogs Helix, the Picco z, and Bladerunner2. It seems you can get them all for roughly $50 or less. Anyone tried them all? Which one do you guys thing is the best?

bladerunner2 is on amazon for $50
pico z on amazon for $49
air hogs helix at toys r us I think for $50 (maybe $60)as well. I was just there yesterday and they had them, so there's probably $10 to save in shipping on this one.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
monstermaker13

Default RE: What's the best $50-70 micro helicopter

the Picco z,
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Chris 1

yeah, I would go with the Picoo Z, the ez to mod, and really fun to fly.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
holyschmoley

Thanks for the rec. I found the bladerunner 2 cuz on some other picoz thread, someone was saying it was tons better than the picoz. So far, though, 2 of you say the picoz is better. I'll see what others say and then put one on my Christmas list. You gotta get toys for x-mas to make it fun.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

it depends on what you want, really. the picco is super durable, has a more conventional design with its single main rotor and tail prop, 7-10+ minute flight times, lots of modding possibilities. you can get them for 30 dollars still at TRU and some Radio Shacks as well. the picco can be set to move forward at a pretty reasonable pace, though controlling it at higher speeds becomes more tricky. some are a pain to trim in though, constant wobbles, vibrations, and uncontrolled spinning. but, they're also incredibly stable, i've smacked mine with my hands while it was in mid flight, just for the fun of it, and it just kinda flew away and then corrected itself. there no US vendors that sell parts, but its certainly worth 30 bucks, thats for sure.

the BladeRunner type helis are completely differant. first thing just about everyone says is that they're too slow. the BRs definetely have a speed limit - too fast and the upper and lower rotors hit eachother and the heli falls. the BRs can be made to move forward relatively fast (a slow walking pace), overall controll is more precise - i can get my BRs and MM into very tight places and still have complete control, i can land them anywhere at anytime as well. there are parts for these in the US, which is good because the motors can and will wear out. i got an almost 15 minute flight time with my mini BR on its first charge, the motors were barely warm (the larger BRs motors get pretty hot if you fly continiously, which shortens their life span considerably). the BRs are also pretty stable, but it takes a lot less to get it out of controll and have it crash - they take a much softer thumb on the stick to keep it in check during flight, but its worth it. they sell the mini BR at RadioShack for 50 bucks, but at wallmart they sell a larger version for the same price.

the MicroMosquito is basically a tiny version of the BRs, it can be even more tricky to handle as the control is very sensitive. my MM flys faster than the other BRs though, but again, speed causes problems with this type of heli. there have been a number of little issues with the MM unfortunately, but nothing a person with a few skills cant fix. i wish they'd drop the price though.

the helix is a beast, it can be very fast (scary fast if you're flying inside). a lot of folks have had lipo issues with them, mine included, and there's no spares anywhere for them. it was a fun heli while it lasted though, if they were selling for 40 dollars, i'd probalby buy a 2nd one. some peoples didnt have much controll, but mine, and a lot others, were very controllable, it just took some practice.

the helix and the MM are the only 3 channel helis, the mini BR, the larger BR thats sold at Wal Mart, and the picco are only 2 channel. having that 3rd channel can be quite handy, but the picco can scoot forward just fine without it, and the BRs dont seem to need it either. they're all pretty fun helis, each has a completely differant personality and flying characteristics, and each one has its own set of problems. for the price and fun factor though, the Picco still wins. if they dropped the price on any of the other helis out there, the picco might not win out.

nick
Old 11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
holyschmoley

Thanks. That's a lot of good info. I was looking for someone who had tried all of them. I have a BladeCP, which is much more advanced, and it's just taking me a long time to really be able to fly it, so I wanted a toy just to fly around inside the house. One day, I hope to be able to do so with the Blade, but I think that time is quite a was off. Of of these cheap micro helis will be a fun little toy to get for X-mas. If I can find a pico for $30, I might just buy one for someone else just for the heck of it too.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
holyschmoley

Picked up the pico z at radio shack today. It's alright. I see what ppl mean by needing to add a little weight to the front to fly forward. The guy told me one radio shack has the mosquito. It's $60 or $70 vs. $40, but I think I'll give it a try. The pico z will make a good x-mas present if I keep the mosquito. I'd just like that 3rd channel.

I'll read up on the mods for the pico z, though, and see what else ppl do with them.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Primus

I bought a Bladerunner 2 from RS for $50 a few months back, and I've been a bit disappointed with it. Looks cook, but hardly goes anywhere and is a pain to trim. (I have to keep mine trimmed all the way to the right, and even then it has a tendency to spin to the right, bending the blades hasn't worked at all.) The top and bottom rotors seem to inevitably clip each other, causing it to tumble out of the sky.

I just bought a Piico Z yesterday for $30 at TRU, and I love it. It takes only seconds to trim, and while it's a tad tricky to get used to, you can definitely make it go where you want. It's incredibly durable--there's so little mass, it can't fall too hard. I'm having a ball with it.

The Picco Z is the superior heli IMHO. It's cheaper, faster, easier to fly, and much more stable than the Bladerunner 2. I'm reluctant to spend $70 for the Mosquito, but I'm tempted...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 AM
holyschmoley

Well I was at radio shack the other day, and they had 1 pico z in stock, so I bought it. It's okay, except per other people's comments on other threads, you'd have to weigh down the nose a bit to get some forward movement. Since it was kind of boring without that, I packaged it up and will hold it for a x-mas present for someone. So then I picked up the mosquito the following day. I don't like it much either. It's too hard to get moving forward. When it's trimmed out okay, as soon as you start to move forward, it gets out of trim again. It starts to wobble in the air a bit, and is really tough to stabilize again. So I'm either going to sell that on ebay since I messed up the packaging a little or return it.

I'm thinking of just splurging and getting a better quality copter like the Blade CX. It would probably help me to learn to fly the Blade CP I have, anyway.

And as for the suggestions, I think all in all you guys are right on in saying for the price, the Pico z is the best. It could be a fun little toy. I just want something more.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
micro_builder

there's another 3 channel micro heli out there, only a few have gotten their hands on it so far, but it looks quite promising. the reviews have been pretty good too. looks like a cross between a SpinBlade and a BladeRunner, should have best of both worlds (which would make for a really good heli).

http://store.grandhobby.com/yemihy3rarec.html

nick
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
holyschmoley

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

there's another 3 channel micro heli out there, only a few have gotten their hands on it so far, but it looks quite promising. the reviews have been pretty good too. looks like a cross between a SpinBlade and a BladeRunner, should have best of both worlds (which would make for a really good heli).

http://store.grandhobby.com/yemihy3rarec.html

nick

I wish they sold that at some local store so I could try it out and return it if I don't like it. There's a guy selling them on ebay (search for mini hybird) for $19.95 but with $15 shipping. $35 total (probably no tax) is the best deal out there - especially for a 3 channel mini copter. I'm thinking about it, but not sure. The guy still has 3 of them for sale as of right now.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM
holyschmoley

I see others have bought that min hybrid from that guy, so I just emailed the last one asking for sort of a review. If it's good, I'll get one. I'll post back what I find out.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
holyschmoley

The guys responded back about the hybird and says it flies fine with some practice. That doesn't tell me much. He said he also likes the wildwheels and would sell me new one for $40 delivered. Anyone try these:
http://search.ebay.com/wild-wheels-h...tsearchZSearch
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
micro_builder

the wild wheels is a BladeRunner clone (an illegal one, at that). my buddy had bought one, despite my best efforts to try to get him not to, and his never even was able to lift off the ground. construction was sub par, materials used were crummy, lipo never lasted longer than a few minutes. the real BladeRunner helis have their problems too, but at least you know you bought a genuine product, rather than a ripoff.

nick
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Primus

Just an observation on the Yellow Mini Hybrid--in those pics of it "flying", you can see the strings holding it up. It may be a decent product, but I wouldn't trust it if they've got to string it up to get it in the air for pics.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:45 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I bought a clone of the 3 ch BR as well, it bites. For the mini hybrid, well I have that controller, it "flies" the 3 channel clone I have. I think the real options are the gyrotor or the picoo z. I guess the question becomes, what kind of perfomance are you looking for at this price point? Tim
Old 11-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Seek and Destroy

It looks to me like they just photoshopped that picture into it. Because the blades are in the same position in both pics. I would pick the picco-z. Both of the MM's I had were junk.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 PM
micro_builder

some video of my Hybrid. got it a couple days ago, mine didnt do so well during shipping - broken landing gear, tail boom broken off main body. sounds like just about everyone is having problems with theirs breaking in the box. but, after a number of flights i can say its worth the money, its stable, can be very precise in movement, and can go forward and back and a pretty darn good speed.

9" rotor span, N20 size motors, 300-350mah range lipo, 3 channel control, 40 bucks or so if you find them on ebay.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596963

nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45862.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	560445  
Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
pilot dood

Hey !!
I just bought a pico Z today at radio shack for $39.00, I brought it to work with me to mess around with it, takes only a min or two to trim and weight the nose for forward flight, this thing is a Frigin blast, I have 12 hrs here per night and most of it is down "bored" time, I luv me lil pico !!!!! ****
Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
m3pgi

that looks fun! have you tried all the other Heli's mentioned in the orig. post? I just got the Helix from costco for around $45. Its really fun, but its the first Heli Ive ever used. Your Hybrid looks like its a lot easier to control...

Whats the diff btwn 2ch and 3ch? Forward/backwards/ versus Fwd/Bkwd/left/right???

The Helix has controls to go frwd/backward and left and right, but the L/R buttons really just spin the heli on its axis then you can kinda go frwd. Backwards is a little weak.

And it does get out of control pretty quickly(very fast). It seems to fly on its own random momentum. I am looking for one in the $50 or less price range that may have a little more control.

THe Helix is very durable and the break-away type wings/propellors are nice!

Can the Picco Z control very well? ANy have a video?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
m3pgi

when you guys weight the front end of the Picco Does it always go forward now? Or can you still hover it in place?? Also, are the dragon Flys any good?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
holyschmoley

A 2ch heli goes up/down and spins left and right like the Pico. That's why you need to add weight to the front to get it to go forward. A 3ch heli will also go forward and backward like the Helix.

It sounds like from all the posts that the helix and pico are the best bet for under $50. Toys r us has had several off the pico z's in stock the last time I checked - as well as Radio Shacks. I haven't tried the Helix yet. The pico was okay - good for the money. If I see the Helix at Costco, I'll defnitely pick one up - especially at that price. I'd like to compare it to the Pico. Some say the helix is better and some say the pico - from other posts on this and other boards I've found.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 AM
m3pgi

Ive never flown the Picco (the helix is my first RC heli) but it looks like its heavier then the picco and it kind of sways with its own momentum. While the picco from videos Ive seen(youtube.com) looks to float effortlessly. The helix gets a little swirly and starts swaying in circles even while you are pressing the forward or backwords button.

ARe there different frequencies for the Picco? Can you fly two of them at a time? Also, Im guessing it will not fly very well outside with any type of wind....?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 PM
holyschmoley

Which Costco in San Diego did you see the Helix's at? There were none in Mission Valley.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:59 AM
stockdaddy

ORIGINAL: m3pgi

ARe there different frequencies for the Picco? Can you fly two of them at a time? Also, Im guessing it will not fly very well outside with any type of wind....?
There are 3 IR frequencies for the Picoo Z (A, B, C). You can fly 3 of them at a time. You can blow on a Picoo and it will move 3 feet if that gives u any idea how sensitive to wind it is. Has be calm to fly though u can fly at night since it has a flashing LED.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, just do it and i'm sure you won't regret it. I'm use to flying hardcore 3d planes and this is my first helicopter and I get a real kick out of it. You can crash it all day and won't harm it. Really safe also as it doesn't hurt if you touch the main rotor while it's flying.

The only thing you need to know about this helicopter is it needs a mod for faster forward flight. I use the paper hammerhead mod which is basically like putting a triangle piece of paper under the nose which cause the nose to tip down as rotor wash hits it creating forward flight. After this you can go up, down, forward, do figures 8's, spin around and have fun. When you get good, you should be able to take off from the living room coffee table, then make your way to kitchen and land on the kitchen table, then to the bedroom to land on the bed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.