Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Havoc Heli

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 AM
hundredreas0ns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Havoc Heli

hi,this is my first day on the site,so good to meet you all.i recently ordered the havoc heli,which i am now impatiently waiting to recieve lol,but while out shopping tonight at target i saw the air hogs havoc stinger,which is also a helicopter but i guess its made to look like a bug lol.i dont know if its new or old or what but i havent been able to find any infomation about it on the internet or on the air hogs website,but anyway this thing is great fun,1 of the funny and cool things about it is the front cockpit area is made to look like big red insect eyes which flash on and off red when in use,its pretty awsome.so as you can imaging i have been flying it since i got home about 10 at night,and now its nearly 5 in the morning lol.took me a while to get used to it and trimming it before the flight,but i seem to have got the hang of it,and now i cant wait to recieve my havoc heli lol.but just for the people who are not sure wether this would be a good buy or not,i certainly encourage you to go out and purchase 1.alot of fun for the price,and its a cool little gadget.well happy flying everyone,catch ya soon.

steve.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 PM
chris1379

Ni-Mh batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.2V. The Air Hogs planes and helis won't charge correctly when the batteries get below 1.3V. Ni-Mh cells actually charge to around 1.4V but they won't hold that very long. You'll find yourself needing to charge the TX batteries every time you want to fly so Alkilines are a better choice. Advance Auto Parts has a 24 pack of AA's for $4.88.

Chris
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
alvinm

Are you sure that stinger is made by Havoc?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:01 AM
hundredreas0ns

well the box says air hogs havoc stinger,i have attached a picture,hope it works.but it dosent matter now lol,becaus the first day i had it my cat destroyed it.and that was the last 1 at target so i guess i will have to wait utill my havoc heli arrives now lol.

steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19704.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	838276  
Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Neurotex

I just saw this at Target also. It is the Havok with a bug body.
Even the main rotors blades had a dragon fly wing design. If
I had some extra cash I would've picked one up.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 PM
hundredreas0ns

yeah it was a pretty cool little toy,until the cat destroyed it lol.i will probably get another 1 if im out and see it.
but to keep me going until my havoc heli arives i just bought a syma fairy.its pretty neat.does anyone know any mods for it.it flies pretty nice but when i try and turn left it seems to try and go backwards and lose altitude,apart from that if flies pretty smooth.

steve.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
camscott

I purchased my Havoc Heli a few months ago from Wal-Mart. I have the blue version. It took a while to get used to, but here are a few things that I have learned about the chopper:

1. Never poke anything into the nose
2. The best way that I have found to get the chopper to fly forward is to use hot glue. My hot glue gun has a high and low setting, and if you set it on low, it will be less likely to melt the foam. I am not concerned about this, however, because I don't wish to return the chopper. I bought it to experiment with.
3. Once I counterweighted the chopper with hot glue on the nose, I fine-tuned it by scraping away glue or adding layers of model paint until the desired amount of forward motion was achieved.
4. I immediately wrangled up some replacement tail rotors as they seem to break more often.
5. I replaced the tail boom's paper stabilizer with cardstock. Others have used balsa.
6. Trimming must usually be done each time the chopper is turned on. Individual clicks are required as holding the button down has no effect.
7. If the chopper spins erratically, the two most likely causes are: A. Insufficient trim L or R or B. Tail rotor gummed up with material (hair, carpet fibers, dust bunnies, etc.)
8. Battery life is 6-9 minutes depending on flight patterns, number of crashes, etc.
9. Life of battery over time for me was about 3-4 months, probably 50 charges. Battery will no longer hold a charge and I am looking for a replacement.
10. With proper trim and weight balance, I can nearly hover, fly VERY predictably, and land on things like ceiling fans.
11. Most fun trick is to "Boomerang" the chopper. Grab it by the nose, give it full throttle, then throw it firmly but gently at a downward sloping angle with an upward follow-through. The chopper will fly out about 6-9 feet, then loop around and fly right back to my hand (with quite a bit of practice).

I will be replacing my battery soon, but I love these things.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Joelmonkey

I love my havoc heli so much so that I flew the pee out of it. I would like to know if anyone has had the same problem as I am having with mine. The poroblem is when I fully charge it And let it go it only seems to be giving half power to the motors. And as I let it drain it spontaneously gives full power. If anyone knows how to correct or override the chip controls let me know ASAP! Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
camscott

UPDATE:

I replaced the battery this afternoon. I added about 1 inch of wire for the positive lead (it was a bit short). I also removed the cardstock and (with an idea I found here) replaced the fin with thin plastic from a blister pack. The plastic is more flexible, light, and easily replaced. Test flights soon, but I am optimistic.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
fusebmx13

i got the havoc stinger thing also. i had a regular havoc but i flew it so much and it got ruined but this thing is way more stable and i didnt even trim it yet
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
charliemk77

My 11 year old brother decided that he wanted to try out my havoc heli and crashed it dozens of times and broke off the back propellor type thing. I replaced it but it now sinks to the ground rapidly even at a full charge. Does anyone know of any way i can try and fix my havoc heli or know wats wrong?[&o]
Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
bschanz

hello all havoc fans.. I just picked one of these up and must admit, it is the most fun from an indoor toy i think i have ever had... I was BIG into r/c cars years back, moved to fla and sold all my stuff prior to the move. I have been to several air shows and the real r/c helis are fascinating. I can finally fly my own. I do have a couple questions though. I got the havoc heli from airhogs, who, from what I have read, are selling the picooZ under that name in the states. I have read thru most of this forum and saw a term, CCM spin or something like that. what does that mean? I have been successful in trimming mine after a minute or two so it flys straight and true. After a few sketchy flights, I can get it to most places in the house without weight assist too. actually.. that is my only question as of yet. I am sure if i was not sluffing off at work, i could find the definition, but...

anyhow. thanks in advance and i am looking forward to being a part of this forum

Ben
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
camscott

Make sure the tail rotor is on properly. If you are unsure, remove it and put it on the other way then try again. Otherwise, your battery may be giving out.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ifly, is this what your looking for?

Tim
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Aircraftfreak15

there loads of fun me and my dad got them for X-mas. we dident get the laser battel set so we did thhe net best thing cras into echother the thing a vurtuly imposidel to destroy. one thi me and my dad hit head on and his went upside down into the ground and myne did a back flip and contenued to fly looked asome. lol
Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 AM
ed_diaz

Im returning a defected air hogs havoc i just purchased yesterday from zellers(canada) .. upon charging it up fully and going for my first flight in my large kitchen, the damn thing was spinning HAYWIRE! counter clockwise.. i repeatedly pressed the R trim and nothing would work. i checked the tail rotor, checked for dirty stuff, i even changed the tail rotor with a spare that came in the box. still no change. the only way i was able to keep this thing from spinning counter clockwise was to hold the Right Stick all the way to the Right the entire time. i think i have what alot of people posted on here, the trimming CCW problem.

i even try bending and deforming the tail rotor numerous times..and still nothing. one thing i did read in this very informative thread, was something about vibration. .. i did notice that mine had alot of vibration at lower rpm's.

anyway its going back to the store and im going to try picking up another one from another store(walmart).. im crossing my fingers cause i really want one, the time i was able to fly it and keep it straight was alot of fun. i have a air hogs storm launcher too. its great.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
ed_diaz

Just got the exchange unit from zellers.. its a blue one this time, looks nicer then the brown one i had. hopfully this one works out. i ended up calling spin masters too, they are very helpful as i had a issue with a lipo battery for my storm launcher and they are sending me a new lipo battery for it. i asked them quesitons about the havocs and they did confirm that earlier models had tail rotor problems and that sometimes it was a problem with the remote controller itself (the trimming would fail). they also gave me pointers and tips to make the battery last longer .. they told me that if the new one still has the problem that theres a 90day warranty with them.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
EvilE

what are the battery tips?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM
velojet

ORIGINAL: ed_diaz

... they also gave me pointers and tips to make the battery last longer
Yes, share, please!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
ed_diaz

well good news, my exchange model works perfectly!! out of the box it had a slight spin towards the right, right then and there i knew the tail motor was strong enough.. afew clicks to the L trim and it was straight!. awesome thing to fly indoors on a snowy/windy/rainy day. after about 4mins of flight time i notice the controls and what not started to change ever so slightly, total flight time until the unit shut off was 8 full mins.. impressive. i practiced hovering and it worked out pretty well, i need to add one of those small aluminum stickers that come with the unit to the nose to add some weigtht to the nose so it can fly alittle better.

the battery tips consisted of (from his words):

-Full charging is about 15mins and to NOT let it over charge, he said they are easily overcharged which damages/reduces the life span of the lipo, so as soon as you see the green charge light go off, unplug it. (the manual says 20-30mins to charge but thats incorrect)
-before recharging again(after battery dies), its critical to make sure you let the heli lipo battery cool down for about 10-15mins after your done flying.
-he said i should be able to get about 200 recharges on this lipo battery (but that its not replaceable)
-he said not to try and fly it when the battery is low(when it auto shuts off, leave it off), you know how you can turn it off and back on again and fly for alittle more, thats not advisable and can ruin the battery/reduce the life span.
-and last by not least, .. not to fly it in very cold orvery hot(direct sun light like the beach) temperatures.. but then again who would fly it outdoors i thought to myself HAHAHA.

it was rather interesting.. he said he knows people that have had a havoc for 2yrs so far on the same lipo battery..
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Garrett1234567

does anyone know of any plane mods for the havoc, i found one on piccoztoolbox.no-ip.com but it has no instruction. Any ideas would be helpful
Old 12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
disco123

Two CCW / left spin solutions (at least for me!)

1. Return the units and exchange them, hoping to receive units without this common problem!
2. Clip a haip bobby pin to the right side landing gear of heli. It will lay parallel to the right landing skid.

This will cause the heli to lean slightly to the right and solve the left spin problem. Because the bobby pin has grooves on it, you can clip it / move it forward and aft to increase or decrease desired forward flight speed. I like this solution because you barely notice the booby pin on the skid.

[link=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Bobby_pin.jpg]Bobby pin picture[/link]
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
tyler14rbk

any one know of the best mod for stability... i cant keep mine to stay straight...when i turn left after i complete the turn it wants to turn right on its own. anyone have any ideas?

tyler
Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
flipfury

These helis are great, only thing is the rotors are very breakable mostly the tail rotor which you get three spare. enough to last a few days to a week and your out of spare rotors. the main rotor tears at the inner edge which causes very jerky flight. As far as problems If your plane turns on full trim, replace the tail rotor more than likely its torn and will break upon inspection. Pop a new one on and your good to go. All in all great heli should come with more spare parts and the price you pay for spare parts you can almost buy another heli.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Losalpes

Hi, I'm new to these little Havocs and just broke my brand new one (after 2-3 mins @#$%^). Anyway, the part I broke is one of the two stabilizer bars on the main rotor. Does anyone know if there are places to get replacements for just that part? Seems so easy to swap out, hate to buy a full rotor.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.