Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Questions on mini IFO

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Kyle2Baseball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on mini IFO

I was wondering does the mini IFO do all the things they say it does(like hovering). IF u have 1 or flown 1 can u tell me what the best set up is for it. Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 03:41 AM
MKH

Look at wildrc.com for info on IFOs.
MKH
Old 02-15-2003, 01:44 AM
Kyle2Baseball

I all ready know that im going to put in 2 hs 55's. It says that u should use a reciever .3 oz or less would a .4 oz work ok. What battery is a good battery that is light and has long run times?
Old 02-15-2003, 03:22 AM
MKH

The Mini flies best when its very light. The MkIII is much more tolerant of weight gains. For the Mini, Pico servos are light, and the best deal pricewise. Hs-55's will work, but you'll add some weight with them. Are you using IPS power? If so, the recommended lithium polymer pack is a good choice. You can also use 560 Kokams, ET700's, or another similar choice. For the rx., the Pico is the most popular choice for weight reasons. 0.4 ounces is OK, but again, you're gaining weight. With the heavier rx. and servos, and IPS/lipoly powered Mini could still come in under 5.5 ounces, which is a little porky, but still very manageable.
Marcus
Old 02-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Kyle2Baseball

YA im planning to get some lighter rods and lighter ripstop then the kit comes with. I will be using the drive a moter from gws. I have a few lithuim batteries ( exploding ones ) that have a a board in them that dosent let them pull over 2 amps so it wont explode thier and the charger shuts off when they are done so mine are expode proof. But will 2 amps be enough? And the picos are fourty dollers and the hs 55s are 20 each. My wallet isnt that big. So two hs 55s will have to work. I will check the weight diff. from the pico and the 55's.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Kyle2Baseball

I am going to get the pico's in a flight pack.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Kyle2Baseball

Does anyone know if any of the mini recievers from gws are duel conversion. If they arnt can u tell me if u know of one that is .3 oz or less that has duel conversion?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:32 AM
MKH

The FMA M5 rx is 0.3 ounces, if you need dual conversion. Its pretty pricey, about $69 without crystal, but should be a nice unit. I use the GWS Picos, and so far no problems. BTW, Pico servos are 21-24 bucks most places, so don't pay anyone 40 bucks for them! Also, be careful about changing carbon rod sizes. The sizes that come with the kit are the lightest you can really get away with.
Marcus
Old 03-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Luke 3D

The mini Ifo does all that people say it can do and more.
Rolling circles can be done in a badmington court sized area. The thing won't snap roll but it does completely effortless hands off harriers. It is very stable in the hover but it needs more power than the GWS gear that comes with it.
The Mini IfO is probably my favorite model at the moment(when i get my funtana i expect it will take over)
The mini ifo can also do very tight loops and knife edge spins. I have even been able (only twice!) to catch mine in my teeth which just shows how slow and controllable they are.
Their weak point is that they are unstable and so have to be flown 100% of the time. Although i have succeeded in doing four point roll rolling circles with one they are not very good at pattern style stuff.
Go for the falhauber 1624 coreless motor with 10 cell 50mah pack.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:51 AM
davidj

I love both of my mini's. My first was 3.75 oz. with a 8 cell Nicd. It now is 4.2oz with the ripstop covering and a 9 cell 150 NmHi battery. It still flys great with the extra weight and I can get about 7 min flights. My other is a Semi Mini. It is 1" longer and 2" wider and weighed in at 4.5 oz. I'm thinking of building another with rudder control. A third HS50 servo using pull/pull control on the rudder should add only a little weight. I am going to lengthen it and widen it by about 2+ inches each. With the lipoly battery's I hope to get it in under 6oz.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Kyle2Baseball

Hey luke how do u do knife edge spins without a rudder?
Old 03-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Luke 3D

Fairly high up, at full power , bank the wings 90 degrees to the right or a little more and then apply full down and a little right aileron. You need lots of throw and you need to muck around with the controls a little bit to get the knife edge spin really tight.The Mini Ifo should slowly descend side ways whilst spinning round like crazy. For your recovery, it looks very cool if you just keep appliing the elevator and just add a bit of left aileron. In this way you have an inverted pull out that is very fast, so you can continue the spin to about three or four feet and pull (or should i say push?) out at the last instant. the strange thing is that you do not need rudder for this manuver with the Min Ifo. I have not tried doing it with it at left bank so it may just be the torque of the prop that keeps the nose up. Another manuver that i have made up that nearly always gets the audience on their feet is a vertically descending death spiral from height, pulling out at the last moment, literally inches from the ground.The great thing about the Ifo is that it is very robust so you can try these knid of manuvers without worrying about any damage.
IF you keep the plane as light as possible, it should do these manuvers better than mine!
Enjoy!
Luke