Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Ferndale Folly #1 Home Made Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Ferndale Folly #1 Home Made Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferndale Folly #1 Home Made Plane

Hi all, some of you know me from the aeroace thread. I did a lot of aero stuff on the aces, and decided to try to build a my own plane. Some of this is going to be from memory, but the project is not finished, and is on going. Unlike Andrew I did not think to post from start to finish. This is what I have to build this plane, a 2s250mah lipo, a blue arrow esc, a blue arrow 6 ch rx, and 2 blue arrow micro servos. These came from a failed cox p-51. Then I had a pair of motors from a hobbico Voodoo. These seem to be 1.5-6v motors. Add to the mix some balsa and some posterboard foam, and a general frustration that there are few inexpensive 3 channel airplanes. I'll post pic's as of this last weekend, then move forward. I did clean up the tail some today.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I may not use them, but they could easily change my mind Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96804.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	689162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54724.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	689163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62614.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	689164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57089.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	689165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64935.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	689166  
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ferndale Folly #1 Home Made Plane

OK, I removed the rudder control surface last night and rebuilt the tail. I had a piece of control wire bent into a wide staple shape on the rear of the elevator at first, but to make that work I had to cut the rudder more than I liked. That is what is visible on the earlier pics. Last night I removed the wire and set a new peice of wire, same shape at the rear of the elevator. To do this I got the wire centered and poked each end into the foam, then I removed the wire, applied foam safe medium ca to the wire and reseated it. I then taped a steel ruler all the way across to maintain a level surface. Next up is mocking up the servos and control horns. I'm told that this is the most crucial part of the build. The plan is to embed the servos in the wing and have the servo arpoke through the wing. My theory is that with the servo on its side, presenting a lower profile, will allow me to avoid a big fuse pod. I think I will close up the electronics with a bit of balsa screwed to the center stick, but I doubt I'll get there tonight. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78304.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	689643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72907.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	689644