Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Plantraco Carbon Butterfly questions

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Plantraco Carbon Butterfly questions

Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
tcmitch2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plantraco Carbon Butterfly questions

Ok guys, I need some help. Who has experience with the Carbon Butterfly??? I want to purchase one, but wanted to know if anyone has one to give me a sort of "review" I also have read about in other forums about an extra UPS charge for clearing customs as this is shipped from Canada. I live in the US. I have been to the Plantraco website and saw all of the videos. It looks like a nice indoor flyer with all the gear and the metal case looks nice too! Please respond and let me know. I have some experience with larger planes and outdoor flying, but am looking for an indoor flyer... something I can fly in my living room.

Thank you in advance,

Todd
Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: Plantraco Carbon Butterfly questions

Todd, There is a 2 channel lrf set to come out in late august that costs about $30. It is the Palm z. Look it up and if you are interested, I'll post where it is going to be released. US in store is going to be at tru under the rc fastlane brand. I believe the online store is going to be worldtrading123.com or something similar. The butterfly is way to much for both my budget and my house. To avoid customs fees check out hobby-lobby etc, one of those companies carries the plane and your buying in the States.

Tim
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 AM
tcmitch2

Tim, thank you for your information. I see you post and reply frequently in this forum. I found some info on the Palm Z on a website called Gizmodo.com. Where will it be released at? Or where can I get or order one? The only thing about Palm z that I don't really like is the infrared control. I had the Havoc Heli some time ago and they were infrared. Control was ok though...

Todd
Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM
andrewtexas123

The only bad thing about the inferred is flying outside. The suns Uv rays interferes with the signal and you loose a lot of range. To be honest they are mad for indoor flying and not out..

Its weather you want to spend $240 or $30..

Andrew
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Todd. Lots of info at[link=http://www.flyingtoys.co.uk]flyingtoys.com[/link] but it is supposed to be released in the US in late august-early september. The instore is a toys r us exclusive, I don't know if they are going to sell online as well. The plane will be marketed under the RC Fastlane brand, I don't know what they are going to call it. I'm told that worldtrading123.com has the internet rights and it will be marketed under the Silverlit brand and Palm Z name. I hope that helps,

Tim
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 PM
tcmitch2

Tim and Andrew thanks for your replies. Yea the Havoc Heli was infrared and I remember trying to fly it outside during the sunlight and I did get interference and lost some range. I know right??? 300 or 30 bux. I do like the look of the carbon butterfly and the case and all that comes with it.....

Todd
Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Tommyr

You can definately fly it in your living room. Just be warned, the skin is easily rip-able. Saran wrap is stronger than that stuff they use. I have one but eventually I'll try Saran wrap for skin. I know it's heavier but I'll trade that for strength personally.

Tom
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
tcmitch2

Tom, I finally broke down and bought the Carbon Butterfly last week. So far I'm happy with it. It is a very fragile plane, but so far I've had quite a few crashes in the house and the thing hasn't broken apart yet. Today, the elevator rear end got loose from the fuse, but I glued it back in place... wasn't too bad. And that mylar covering.... yes pretty fragile. Saran wrap probably will work.

Todd
Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM
andrewtexas123

Sounds like your haveing a good time with it, i hope you dont breck it any time soon..

Andrew
Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Tommyr

I just had mine outside a few minutes ago. Drained out the battery. It's real calm right now. My living room isn't quite big enough for it (12x18) so I wait for calm evenings or mornings. 2 things about them and the regular Butterfly ( I have both ) make me nervous, the skins and the rudder hinge/act. These are fragile items. I think the paper and balsa on the butterfly make me FAR less nervous as far as damage is concerned. I may order the classroom Zero, it looks much tougher. I do love the Transmitter.

Tom
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
0xqsme

From the What it's Worth Department: This is my post from another site, might be somewhat helpful?

I splurged and bought this tiny plane on sale from plantraco @ $179.00. The CB is fragile as the super thin mylar easily becomes detached from its frame. The VStab (vertical stabilizer) is supported by balsa wood, mine was unreinforced and broke apart very easily. I discovered on Plantraco's web site that they use carbon fiber to reinforce the balsa wood, but there was none of that. Then, by email, Jason of Plantraco informed me that they now use a fiber of a more neutral color, but there was none of that either. Then Jason offered to rebuild the VStab for me.

Having never flown the plane it is now back at Plantraco's place in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, an expensive shipping situation. Conclusion: This plane is very fragile, also as I suspect, defective.

Note: I also own the Parkzone Vapor and Night-Vapor, Similar construction but more than twice as big and 4x the weight of the CB, (still only about 15 Gm) On the newer Vapor, the wing material attachment is reinforced by tiny strips of clear tape. Plantraco should follow their lead. Since the Vapor is labeled "Ultra micro", the CB can be labeled "nano", The CB does not have a horizontal elevator and is only 2 channel while the Vapor does have a Hor. elev. and is 3 channel, and that is the big difference!

Stay tuned!