Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Inter Active Toy Concepts "Firefly" vs. "Mosquito"

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Inter Active Toy Concepts "Firefly" vs. "Mosquito"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:47 AM
peplinsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inter Active Toy Concepts "Firefly" vs. "Mosquito"

Hey all, I own a firefly made by these guys and love it! ( see firefly post ) http://www.interactivetoy.com/BladeR...Series_pg.html
but now that I went to inter active toy concepts web site, I see they have a
tiny micro similiar to the firefly, called a mosquito, but has a tail motor on it.

Anyone have one of these or even better, anyone have both who wants to post comaprisons in control etc?

thanks in advance

Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 AM
peplinsk

Default RE: Inter Active Toy Concepts "Firefly" vs. "Mosquito"

found a video of the mosquito, has fwd and reverse motion.

I'm gonna head down to radio shack and get one tommorow

http://www.interactivetoy.com/micro_...o_video_US.htm
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
EvilE

How much are they??
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 AM
peplinsk

Its 69.99 US

(pasted post from the firefly thread)

It is made by the same manufacturer (Inter Active Toy Concepts) and has a tail motor installed on the tip of the
tail and has the ability to fly forward and reverse.

The Mosquito has the same helipad/base charger and same battery requirements. It was NOT shipped w a
partial charge, I tried to fly it "right outta the box" and the props would not even move.

After charging it I decided to do a hand launch in the living room and evn after moving the left stick up and down
to arm the radio, it would not power up. I examined it for any hints as to what was going on and could see no visual defects.
I tried resetting the power on the radio and heli and then the blades would spin very slowly on full throttle. I said out loud
"well looks like I'm going back to Radio Shack" and as I uttered these words the heli suddenly leaped into the air and slammed
into the ceiling. As I had had it on full throttle and the blades had bareley been turning I was not expecting it to suddenly
start functioning correctly. SO... I picked it up and examined it for damage. I didnt see any damage so...hand launch attempt 2.

It flies just like the firefly except when you use the forward and reverse function there is a noticeable drop in power and
you have to increase thrust on the main blades slightly to compensate, this also seems to make the forward and reverse
motion a little quicker. Forward was really nice but reverse was not quite as responsive.

I have not had enough time to play with the Mosquito as I had to go to work before I could really fly through the whole battery.
I am also wondering if I should take it back to radio shack and exchange it for a new one just cause it acted all wierd outta
the box at first, but Im kinda lazy and hate goin to any mall. ...anyway Ill try to post a link to the video of it.

http://www.interactivetoy.com/micro_...o_video_US.htm

lol sorry bout the duplication, Ill post more when I have more stick time to really compare it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14813.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	737446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60742.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	737447  
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
peplinsk

argh! I tried to fly it today and it acted all wierd again. Tail motor was working but main blades would not turn. Took it back to Radio
Shack and would have exchanged it but I had gotten the last one the day before so they had to give me a refund. (bummer)

Any way for the brief time that it worked correctly it was awesome. I'm gona use radio shacks website to have one shipped to a
Radio shack in my zip code.

more later on this

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
EvilE

What about this??:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget
Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
EvilE

I wonder why TRU sells the Firefly and not the Mosquito??
Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

evile,
the cost is 15 but the shipping is 20? i hate when e-bay morons do that!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM
EvilE

ORIGINAL: iflyrc1012

evile,
the cost is 15 but the shipping is 20? i hate when e-bay morons do that!
I totally agree, but $35 is still much cheaper then Radioshack's $70 plus tax....
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 PM
EvilE

Well, I got my mosquito and have flown it the past couple days--it hoovers nicely, and turns right and left nice, it is easy to fly, but I find it doesn't go forward well at all. I dunno if it's because of the tail rotor, or what, but it knda just floats around not really going forward or reverse well at all. Last night I was flying it, and Went to high too fast, and it hit the ceiling hard---I then overcorrected it too quickly, and it came crashing down onto the corner of out coffee table! It messed up the top rotor, so it doesn't sit balanced anymore, it tilts to one side. I think I must have slightly bent the outer rotor ring or something. It's a real bummer--it wobbles badly now, and since I can't exactly figure out what's wrong, I can't fix it! I ordered a new top rotor off of Ebay today, so hopefully that will be the answer. I may try using a Havoc tail rotor on this heli and see if it goes forward and reverse better, after I get her up and flying again!!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Rdy12

Well, I just jumped on to the merry-go-round. My Mosquito will be arriving in a couple days... Updates will come at that time... I couldn't resist it. Mine was $10 with $23 shipping[&:] What dummy has the shipping be more than 2 times the item's price?????[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=drowning.gif] (That smiley is funny....)
Old 12-08-2007, 11:34 AM
EvilE

well I have both, and I MUCH prefer my Firefly!! So easy to fly, and very easy to control, I love it! It's my favorite micro heli I think.....
Old 12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
greggK

Just got the Mosquito as a gift. Fun product but I cant get it to fly well forward or backward? Any ideas or mods? Has anyone sanded/filed the rotor blades leading n trailing edges to "clean up the plastic? Do you think adding a little nose weight might help it fly forward?
Also, now that i got the bug (no pun intended) can anyone recommend a more realistic and i no expensive electric helo?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 AM
victorlukito

I have the Mosquito. It's on sale at Radio Shack for $49. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it cuz it's too fragile. This is my 4th one. I returned the other 3:

#1 - The 1st day it flew well, and after a couple min getting used to the controls, I thought this was the best toy ever. The 2nd day, it flew OK. On the 3rd day, it won't stop spinning to the left no matter how much I trim the controls.
#2 - The rear tail rotor would not stop spinning which causes the chopper to move forward and wobble. This is definitely defective.
#3 - The chopper flew well the 1st day. The 2nd day it keeps rotating left, but for awhile was manageable with the trim as long as I have it flushed right. On the 3rd day, one of the motors blew and the top rotor stopped spinning.
#4 - I'm testing this one now, and it's not as stable as #1 on the 1st day, but it's currently flying. It wobbles too.

In conclusion, the mosquito is just too fragile and poorly manufactured. It might be safe to say that it's not engineered very well too since it's really dependent on 2 motors to work in synchronization to keep the chopper f/spinning. The trim on the controller is a nice feature, but I'm constantly setting the trim.