Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Help Deciding on Livingroom Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Help Deciding on Livingroom Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Mavrik1621

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Deciding on Livingroom Flyer

I just recently purchased the Havoc Heli and I love it! I'm looking for a cheep office/livingroom micro-plane now and am looking for suggestions. There's sooooo many to choose from that I'm a little overwhelmed, especially being a newb to the subject. The ones I'm looking at now are the:

-Air Hogs - Aero Ace - Biplane
-Air Hogs - Room Raider
-Air Hogs - Aerosoar
-Silverlit - Palm Z
-[link=http://www.raidentech.com/sumiflsmrcpl.html]Uh...this one. LoL[/link]

Some of the above I couldn't even figure out the size based on the advertising, so I couldn't figure out if they were really meant for indoor. I'd be looking for something that's comparable to the the Havoc Heli as a plane. Any other suggestions aside from this list are more than welcome.
Here's what I think I want out of it (based on reading stuff on the net):

-Livingroom/bedroom flyer (not gym size or anything)
-Variable speed (not just a button for on / off motor)
-Decent battery life
-Crash resistant
-Does not have to be easy to fly necessarily
-Under 50 bucks

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Electrolight

Default RE: Help Deciding on Livingroom Flyer

You won't find a plane that can fly in your living room. Most planes (to have fun) need a rather large area. I would still however recomend the Aero Ace. But not the bi-plane. Either the Jet or the Newest single wing.

But don't buy the room raider. From what I understand It only flys straight.

The Aero ace matches all of the following
-Variable speed (not just a button for on / off motor)
-Decent battery life ..... 20 min +
-Crash resistant ...... Extremely
-Does not have to be easy to fly necessarily ...... But is easy to fly
-Under 50 bucks ..... Only 29.99 at TRU or Wal-mart

But what ever you do...
Good luck

Electrolight
Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I would suggest getting the Flit from Phase 3, when it comes out. It appears to be small enough to fly in a large living room, like a 20x20ft. space.

The Micro Flyer plane that you have listed as: Uh...this one. LoL has a rather slow airspeed, but it does like to pitch to the left because of the motor. It also requires a large livingroom space.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 PM
tokteacher
My Feedback: (1)

There are two that I think would fit the bill. The first is the PalmZ by Silverlit, which seems now to be in the US. Unlike the Aerosoarer, it has a lipo and will fly for more than 5 minutes per charge, and is much more durable. It does take some tinkering to get it to fly properly. I limited the rudder throw to the right and cut away a bit of the horizontal stab to extend the left hand throw. It also cannot take the blast of air con, which will throw it right off course. On the other hand, I have crashed mine hundreds of times, and a little foam safe glue or tape will fix it. It takes real practice to fly it in a normal living room, but it is a slow flyer and seems to be available for under 40 US.

For 50 US from QVC you can get the Megatech Avion, which is a great plane. Full proportional rudder and throttle, and more resistant to buffeting by the air con. On the other hand, it is quite fast and requires a good deal of throttle control. Higher speed means more potential damage in crashes. In an average size living room you will probably be limited to circles. In my classroom I can easily fly figure 8's with both, although only when the air con is off in the case of PalmZ. (sorry, I don't know how to do links to vendor's sites)

Of course if money is no object, Plantraco's Butterfly or Carbon Butterfly (in the 200-300 range, complete) is the ultimate in slow flying and precise control. That said, you would need to practice in a larger area first, and get ready to learn how to repair tiny pieces of balsa and tissue. I look forward to seeing the RipMax Flit when it comes out, as it is highly portable, but haven't seen it for sale yet

The AA's are great for outdoors, but turn radius is too wide indoors. These three I can fly in my livingroom. Hope this helps.

Dale in Singapore
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Mavrik1621

Thanks everyone! As the ones that Dale, (tokteacher) was suggesting was more of what I was looking for, I have decided to go with the Palm-Z. Although the Avion looked better to me, the price was right for the Palm-Z. I have seen those Plantraco ones and truly nothing looks better, but 2-3 bills was certainly out of my price range. LoL. Funny thing is, I wanted this for indoor flying, but after hearing everyone talk about how cool the Air Hogs Aero Aces are, I'm going to stop by Target today after work and pick up one of those for outdoor flying. Was thinking about the Jet. Anyone else think another might be better?

Thanks!!

Ryan
Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Electrolight

Yes I think the jet is better than the biplane. But the best of all three aero aces is the Single wing aero ace. (usually white and green)

Either way have fun with your AA (aero ace)
Electrolight
Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 AM
13BT

the Flit and Carbon Butterfly look similar in construction. But big price difference. Is this true?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: 13BT

the Flit and Carbon Butterfly look similar in construction. But big price difference. Is this true?
Similar but the flit is twice as heavy as the butterfly, and although I can't find the wingspan for the flit I would imagine it is bigger then the butterfly, another thing is the flit has IR control so may be more prone to glitching and can't be used outdoors or under bright lights.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
13BT

ORIGINAL: gt5500

ORIGINAL: 13BT

Similar but the flit is twice as heavy as the butterfly, and although I can't find the wingspan for the flit I would imagine it is bigger then the butterfly, another thing is the flit has IR control so may be more prone to glitching and can't be used outdoors or under bright lights.
I can live with that. These are indoor flyers anyway. And the carbon butterfly is way overpriced.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
rdf430

I just bought a megatec AVION bi plane with proportional throttle and a linear actuator for the rudder I only flew it for ten minutes or so but it will fly in my rec room 11' X 16' and i could do Figure 8's and change directions with some hope and luck, only crappy thing is it has I R link. It was $77.00 at my local Hobby store here in canada
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 AM
xlcrlee

Don't forget High-Alpha "Room Raider" (modern full-size fighters can perform the same way)

Joe.Flyer got HIS to work (see video below) like mine by simply following the UNmod thread info. It will also fly straight, do ovals, buttonhooks and is best used for INDOOR COMBAT with 2 on diff. frequencies ... and, since it uses a 1-ch one-hand controller, you could conceiveably fly both yourself (the late Jim Walker, inventor and developer of now-outmoded U-control, frequently made demos flying 3 of his planes simultaneously, with one controlled via a handle on a special helmet he wore!). The updated "Dragon Fighter ll" version can also turn in two directions, if you wish.

Livingroom (ANY room?) flight >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3qMZ4ZEuDY
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM
MR1978
My Feedback: (-1)

i fly the palmz in my living room fine, only problem is the cats.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:51 AM
ZeekWatson

I have a PalmZ and an Aerosoar. PalmZ is 100 times better. Aerosoar takes way too much tweaking to get flying and goes out of tune very easily. It also only flies for 60s before you need to recharge. Aerosoar is also much more fragile than PalmZ.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Ched

I saw the Air hogs "nano hawk" at target . That is the same as the palm z.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
MR1978
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Ched

I saw the Air hogs "nano hawk" at target . That is the same as the palm z.

yeah,