Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Carbon Butterfly

Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
103/17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Butterfly

Hello,

I have a few questions for anyone who has time on a carbon butterfly. I was given one for Christmas by my wife, yes she is wonderful. I seem to be having some battery connection issues and I am unsure what is causing it. The battery contacts are magnetic on the Carbon Butterfly. If you land hard the battery pops off but I am having an issue with it loosing connection in mid flight. I have noticed that the prop seems to be semi solidly fixed to the gear / hub. If you land and the carbon prop hits the ground ( most of the time) the prop seems to cock itself and cause the wheels to vibrate about 1/4 inch for and aft on their axles at anything over half throttle. I have tried to center it and adjust it by the amount of wheel vibration that I see. It has worked pretty well but the battery connection seems to be very prone to loosing contact. I have never damaged the Butterfly and it has never hit an object other than a padded sofa. Has anyone has similar experiences? Oh yes, It is awsome to fly in your living room. I do wish it had an elevator but its still very cool to fly.

103/17
Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Carbon Butterfly

Ask this question over on RCGroups.com in the micro section. There are a few Plantraco experts there.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
103/17

I entered an e-mail to Plantraco on Christmas day. They must be closed as I have yet to get an e-mail from them confirming my issue. I sent another to their sales dept today. Hopefully my Carbon Butterfly will fly a complete flight soon without quitting................[]

103/17
Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 AM
MR1978
My Feedback: (-1)

is the battery clean? some times after coming undone it picks up magnetic debris and that can have major effects,

Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM
103/17

Well......... cleaning helps but doesnt fix the issue. I talked with Plantraco who advised toothpicks cut off and then used as a cleaning tool for the contacts. I can tell you that I have had longer flights since cleaning every time before every flight ( seems excessive) but I have never in about 75+ attempts at flight had a full flight that was not interupted by the battery connection failing. I clean the receiver, battery and charging terminals. I really wish there was a different set up for the battery connection............ What has your experience been? I dont know anyone else who has one.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
103/17

Problems were solved with a new battery that was supplied by Jason at Plantraco. Very nice fellow to deal with. It is an amazing little aircraft and now that I actually get to fly it I have a blast with it. I must admit the Bahoma battery seems to cause a lot of pain for no reason[:@]. I understand the weight issue but I have heard from too many people with problems. Mine took about 6 weeks to solve and I had tried everything to make the old battery work. Mine was cleaned so many times it could have been used in an Operating Room! I am now 100% satisfied but not without a bit of a bad taste. For 300 bucks I should have had a plug and play set up, not a series of upset calls and e-mails. It is a wonderful airplane once it operates correctly.[8D]

103/17