Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

AirHogs Nano Hawk (Silverlit Palm-Z)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

AirHogs Nano Hawk (Silverlit Palm-Z)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:17 PM
darticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AirHogs Nano Hawk (Silverlit Palm-Z)

What charger are you using? Do you still have to bypass the battery in the plane to use it , right? You can't just plug into it , right? I have a Triton jr. Thanks Ron
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,
i got the charger here: http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/single-...10ma-217-p.asp
he's over seas, but i've bought from him on several occasions and he has pretty fast shipping time,
good prices too. you could try here too, they're another good company to do business with:
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/products.cfm?catID=10001

Ron,
i'm not sure if you can just plug your own charger to charge the lipo, i never tried, i just added the
micro connects for quick lipo swapping. i know the AAs have a charging diode on the RX that wont
allow you charge through the RX with your own charger, the nano hawk may be the same.

nick
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

it must be a hit or miss situation with these, i got one last night and im not having any issues with flying mine at all. it does fly nose up, but im pretty sure they made it to fly this way for a reason. the reason is for a slower air speed. adding nose weight is going to make it fly faster, and with it moving faster your going to need more room to fly it. i like how it fly nice and slow. i fly mine in my girlfriends 11X15' living room with ease. it does tend to death spiral to the right but nothing a little left rudder bent into the tail hasnt corrected. chris
Old 02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
danhrc

Since this is the mod thread, My brother and I are experimenting with the guts of this little bird. I swapped out the motor on this with a Picoo motor for direct drive and tossed it onto a tbf avenger airframe made out of depron and foam plate wings (made to have polyhedral design like the corsair for flight characteristics). It flew really well in flight tests, and performed admirably in a small gym. I'm still working the kinks out, but I think that this platform is spectacular for modifications. Believe me, I have an unmodded bird and i love flying it, so it was really hard to dissect this one! I'll try to post some pics once I get it trimmed properly.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 PM
darticus

From the pics it answers my question. I thought maybe the Nano used a capacitor as a storage cell but its a battery. I think mine has had it. Only flies 5 mins than 5 mins of low to ground flight. It also seems to want to turn right very sharp and left wide. Anyone can suggest anything!
Hey Tim
Is it worth putting a battery in? Anyone have any batteries. Thanks Ron
Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Patsy2shoes

Hi Darticus
I changed the battery in my very OLD and much flown Pakm-Z .It is a good job to do under a magnifier glass ,rather small.
The old plane has renewed energy and flys great .It is worth a try.
I got the batteries from a company in England .THat may sound like a pain in the neck but it proved to be very easy and even the shipping time was good.
If you have any problem locating a battery just give a holler and I will look through my stuff and see if I can find the company in England.
Let us know how you made out.
Charlie
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
darticus

My Nano is still flying but only 5 mins fly time. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a sale and get another. If you get any more batteries let me know. Thanks Ron
Old 02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
wyowilliam

I bought the Nano Hawk from Air Hogs the other day and was a bit disapointed - it seemed to have the infamous right-hand-spiral-of-death, took forever to turn left, and flew too nose-up to have much lift.
I started out by adding a small piece of plastic from a pen (nice matching color - see pic. LOL) but though it climbed nicely, it wasn't as quickly manueverable.
Then I read these posts and with little modification it flys great! Here's some photos to help: 1) The modified nose weight (gives extra stability but somewhat slower movements and I can't help but think it effects flight time) 2) The angle of the "rudder" on the vertical stabilizer 3) the gentle curve of the rear "elevator" on the horizontal stabilizer.
Note: if you use full throttle you will get a wave-like pitch as it tries to stall-out - just easy, gentle acceleration and you'll be up to the ceiling in no time! (If there is still too much pitch, reduce the angle of the "elevators" and/or add the nose weight.)
Now it's easily one of my favorite "toys" and is a blast to fly now!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79905.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	891690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85162.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	891691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42075.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	891692  
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
darticus

Nano is a great flying plane but the Avion is fantastic. I bought the Avion at a show for 29.00 flies really smooth. Night and day!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
walkingcarpet900

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got one of the nano hawks at my local target for 29 bucks and 2 bucks for some 4 aa's

flies great!
i like how they have the rudder and trims and also
how they include spares
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
scooby-RCU

the tail fin stopped moving on my nano and got to looking and the wire that runs down the body to the fin has not completly been broken but frayed. i'm guessing this is the cause of the tail fin not working. is their anyway i can fix this?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM
wyowilliam

I had the same thing happen recently. After reading some similar forums and checking under a microscope I realized that the "wire" is, in fact, TWO wires that activate the actuator. They are covered in a protective enamel as well, so to repair them is difficult to say the least. I was able to do this by soldering the two wires under the scope. Holding a tiny blob of solder with a 25 watt iron to the wires seems to burn off the enamel pretty well, and then scraping the wires with an exacto knife to make a clean surface for the solder to cling to worked for me. (Of course I had them reversed the first time and had to re-do it, then broke a bit of the wire and had to shorten the booms to have enough wire to work with, and also managed to melt a bit of the rudder, but it does work.) See the pics.

Then the wire to the motor broke. That's tomorrows post. (Honestly, it might be easier to just by a new one.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43488.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	908226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58117.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	908227  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Ryderda

I love my PalmZ. But my rudder has died just like scooby-RCU's. I can fly in circles, but that's it, as I have no directional control. Neither the rudder control nor the R/L trim control are working. Any suggestions about how I could diagnose what's wrong?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Patsy2shoes

Hi Guys
If you have to repair a broken wire from the reiever to the actuator it is probably what we call magnet wire .I have had a lot of experience in the manufacturing sector and have used it extensively.
Chances are that the wire is what we called a poly nylon coated copper wire .If you have to make a repair just twist the wires together and hold a soldering iron under the joint .
Raise the soldering iron to touch the joint and pour solder over it until it MELTS the coating off the wire .The copper wire under the nylon coating is exceptionally clean when molten solder it is applied so it should solder excellantly.
Do not scrape the coating as it will cut and weaken the wire.
Any questions just ask.
Charlie
Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Ryderda

There's no obvious indication that my rear actuator wire is damaged. Is there some way I can test it? Strikes me that it should put out a magnetic field if it's working, which I could test with a compass -- but I'd need to know the response on a working one first...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 PM
PrkFlyrRic

Nick,
Just sent you a PM.

Ric
Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 AM
ill13

I picked one of these up from Marshall's [part of the TJMaxx/Homegoods trifecta in the north east] for ~$15. It seems that the rudder only functions when the throttle is at 50% or more. Is this normal or should the rudder move at all times. My Avion works at all throttle positions [0-100%], I was hoping to have two little planes to fly around the house simultaneously...but it's hard to control the bugger when it only turns at speed...

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
wyowilliam

I can't remember for sure, but I know that the rudder only works if the motor is getting power. It doesn't seem like it should have to be at full, though. I haven't flown mine in a long time, as vibration of the motor broke the leads at the back of it - I'd recommend making sure the motor mount is secure to the frame.
Good luck!