Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

parkzone vapor ?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Ched

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: parkzone vapor ?

ORIGINAL: wings 540

Well, i finally got mine last week, ordered it from americanrcoutlet.com only $122 with shipping! im SOOO glad i bought this plane, i cant stop flying it. although i do have one problem, the elivator servo jitters constantly, and it gets stuck at full deflection sometimes[&o]. does anyone know why this happens?
Try spraying electrical contact cleaner into the servo. Make sue the electrical spray is safe for plastic parts. I have not tried it but others have said it fixed their jittery servos.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 AM
rocket_jim

I bought a Vapor the day after they showed up at my LHS. I simply love it!

Except it unexpectedly died mid-air this am. Fortunately the auto-lander worked just fine!

Now I wish I had paid attention to the lights flashing sequence on power-up to know what's normal. The Rx flashes rapidly about 6 times on power-up, then it just goes out.

I'm taking it over to my LHS when they open today at 10 to watch theirs very carefully on startup and hopefully figure out what's wrong with mine.

I'm in Vapor Withdrawl already!

Jim

Addendum: Rick at my LHS did some troubleshooting, determined that my transmitter would operate a new Vapor just fine, and swapped my dead Vapor for a good one. I'm back flying and Happy!

The LED flashes at turn-on and then goes solid on.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I got mine yesterday. Tried some initial flights in the house, but my rooms are too small to fly it much, especially for the initial flights. Broke the rudder. Was bummed out about not being able to fly inside the house, and having to wait for a new rudder. A couple hours later I decided to just make a smaller rudder out of the remaining CF wire, some packing tape, and some CA+Kicker. That seemed to do the trick (although I'll probably still order a new rudder). I took it outside around 7:30pm with little to no wind and had a blast with it!

Anyone know if the plastic covering has some sort of heat activated adhesive on the back, or is it just glued on? Seems like it's just glued.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
706jim

I'm not sure how the covering is attached, but try a Uhu glue stick; the stuff used to stick paper together in the yellow tube/stick. It works well for holding tissue to balsa wood and may be all you need for simple repairs.I tried flying mine for the first time in my garage and found it a bit fast for the space. It may be ok after I get an hour or so flight time on it outside.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:28 PM
wproct

As stated by most previous posters, I really love the one that I got several days ago. Like to fly it in the back yard when no wind permits. The battery that came with mine was defective and would not work. Fortunately I bought a couple of spares, and they worked. I called the Horizon Tech Support and they said to just return the bad battery and they would replace it. Can't beat that. Fanstastic little plane!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA glue works fine. I put a piece of scotch tape almost at the edge of the loose covering and used that as a pull strap to hold the covering in place while the CA dried. I haven't tried "Kicker" but should work fine/speed up the process. You don't need to stretch the covering, so you onle need to pull it tight enough to touch the carbon fiber rod. FUN LITTLE PLANE. I started out flying it in my 120' by 80' shop at my car dealership... now that I have a feel for the Vapor and have played with the CG and throttle in every possible configuration, I fly it in my 8'x8' cluttered office, and outside when it's very calm.
Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
103/17

The Vapor rocks ! slow flight at 45 degree attitude and yes you can hover this plane once you get used to it at 90 degrees just hanging on the prop. It will loop like a bandit in about 2 feet. I throttle off dive a little and punch it and the wing flexes into a tight V and it loops very cleanly. You can loop in about 4 feet by just pulling back and throttling up. I have a carbon butterly as well and this will fly slower than the butterfly. This is a quantum leap in indoor flight agility. I can hover in front of my recliner while my cat paws at it, turning about 2 foot circles in front of me( I have no ailerons ) !!!! Once someone adds ailerons and keeps the same slow flight capabilities I wont have to leave the house anymore.

On a 1 to 10 scale of fun this thing gets an 11. Buy one, find one, steal one if you have to, but get hooked up. This Vapor is a blast !!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
rocket_jim

Anyone come up with good ways to reduce the Vapor weight?

I removed the battery tray, Velcro, and battery labels and saved 0.5 grams. That's a 3% weight savings.

Anyone come up with anything really clever yet to reduce the weight of this Flying Pig (Not!)?

Jim
Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
-pkh-

It's plenty light for me. Any weight reduction would be at a cost of convenience (like the batt holder removal) or strength. I fly it outside in the evening when there is little to no wind. In fact a little more weight may even be better for outdoor flying. I've had so much fun with the Vapor, I ordered an Ember, which is a little heavier, and probably a little better outdoor flyer.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Ched

ORIGINAL: rocket_jim

Anyone come up with good ways to reduce the Vapor weight?

I removed the battery tray, Velcro, and battery labels and saved 0.5 grams. That's a 3% weight savings.

Anyone come up with anything really clever yet to reduce the weight of this Flying Pig (Not!)?

Jim
I got mine to weigh less than 14 grams. Big difference. I just flew my freinds and it is a pig. It weighs 15 grams. His will not even fly vertical except when the battery is fresh. Mine shoots straight up even with a dead battery. The prop spinner weighs .3 grams, loose that. The battery tray was worthless to me. It slid too easy and didn't hold the battery good enough. I use a small piece of tape that last about 10 battery changes. I removed some of the graphics. It wipes off real easy with methanol. Not a big weight saving there. A carbon fiber prop will save you about .3 grams, a smaller battery would work too. I have used a piccoz battery to save a half gram. I'm waiting for the landing gear to break off. I bet that weighs a gram. I would like to make it removeable like the ember. Some people have cut off part of the wing spars, another .3 grams. I will do that too. The box my vapor came in stated it weighed 12 grams. None were built that light. They weigh about 14.8 grams average. Good luck lightening yours. It is defintely worth it.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
103/17

The best harriers are seen when letting the battery "hang". Dont clip it in place just connect it and leave it dangle. We call it a "Hanging Chad". Works great and as you pull back on the elevator the CG moves back farther as the battery swings rearward. 60 degree + harriers with no wing rock are seen all day long with the battery hanging. Once you get the throttle managment part down pat the sky is the limit. These little things rock.

103/17
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM
SPORT_FLYER

I really want one. I have flown one before and it is sweet. Itll even do a flat spin.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
mikec123

does anyone have the ember and the vapor and if so which one is more fun to fly ?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Printer Mike

I have both. If I could only have one, it would be the Vapor. The Ember is a boat load of fun, though.......
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM
wproct

I have both, and I actually prefer the ember. However, I try to fly mine outdoors as much as possible. I think that the vapor flies better at slow speeds which can be a positive for indoor flight in cramped space. They are both super little planes.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM
wattman

The Vapor is great , I am too slow to fly it in the house , but early in the AM , and late near sundown , NO WIND , I fly here , outside , and have an absolute great time with the Vapor .
Retirement and a Vapor go well together here at home .
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
103/17

I have both as well. The Vapor is WAY more agile than the Ember. The Ember wing is more heavily loaded and it flies as such. We indoor pylon race the Embers and they work well for this. The building we race in has a 9 foot ceiling and we hang crate paper for pylons. The vapor flies in my living room and I can fly in the door of our smallest 9x11 bedroom, do figure eights then leave through the open door again all in a 50 degree harrier. I can also harrier around all of the dining room table chairs and freak the cat out. Outside you can fly backward with just a hint of wind with the battery hanging to put the CG more to the back of the plane ( hanging Chad mode ). I have about worn mine out and have a new motor coming in on Friday. With 2 chargers and three batteries the fun never ends in my house with the Vapor. Both are good planes but I far prefer the Vapor..........

103/17
Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
-pkh-

I have both and prefer the Vapor so far. Slow flight characteristics and the agility of the Vapor makes it easier to fly in a small area. The Ember needs a little larger open area than the Vapor.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
103/17

PKH,

I would agree 100% with your observations.

103/17
Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 PM
emperor187

If you are using the TX that came with the CX2, how are you guys switching the throws for rudder and elevator?

Right now when I turn "left" I go right and vice versa.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
emperor187

Nevermind guys figured out my own error 30seconds after posting...I had switched the rudder dip switch and not the aileron dip switch.

If anyone else is having this problem, just switch your number 6 and 7 dip switches and viola. You can find your dip switches under the little panel on the bottom left of the front of your TX (LP5DSM).
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
MountainBoomer

I placed an order for a Vapor from americanrcoutlet 2 weeks ago. Hasn't shown up, my confirmation number shows nothing in their system on the web site, and nobody answers the phone. What's the deal?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
103/17

Dont know. I know that they are in demand. My local shop, the R/C Toybox has both the Ready to fly and the bind and fly version. 802-748-1030 ask for Diane or Paul. Great people to deal with.

103/17
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
-pkh-

I ordered my Ember from AmericanRCoutlet last week and I got it very quickly, about 2-3 days. I'm sure the Vapors are more in demand, so maybe they are out of stock.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM
MountainBoomer

Well, I placed my order on a Sunday, they took my money Monday, and now there seems to be no record of my order. I thought maybe it was on backorder, but a little communication (email OR phone) would be nice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.