Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Jetscream range < 50 feet

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM
lawrence_stuart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetscream range < 50 feet

Is it just me or is the range on the Jetscream less than 50 feet? It flys okay when close, but it doesn't respond to input when it breaks the 50 foot radius. I had to climb two trees to get the plane down because I couldn't kill the throttle or steer for that matter; though now that I think about it I should have left it in the tree.

I noticed the problem immediately on first flight and thought modding the receiver to channel 'C' from 'A' would do the trick - no suck luck.

Any ideas on resolving this issue or do I have a bad receiver?

Thanks...

Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

Default RE: Jetscream range < 50 feet

well this might sound a bit stupid but try putting different batteries in it. also make sure the tx antenna is screwed in tight. other than that if you have a steady hand then try opening the jetscream up and make sure the antenna wire didnt get cut in half somewhere along the length of the wire. i have the jetscream and my range is well above 200 feet. chris
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
lawrence_stuart

Hi Chris,

I had to move the antenna wire (temporarily) when I changed the receiver's channel and didn't notice any problems so it's now back in it's original location. Maybe it's the TX acting up? I'll try swapping batteries.

I gave away my Aero Ace Bipe, but I wish I hadn't because it flew great and had a 200-300 foot range. Maybe I could test my TX with that bipe to determine if my problem is RX or TX.

Thanks for the reply,
-Lawrence

ORIGINAL: crazychris46dividedby2

well this might sound a bit stupid but try putting different batteries in it. also make sure the tx antenna is screwed in tight. other than that if you have a steady hand then try opening the jetscream up and make sure the antenna wire didnt get cut in half somewhere along the length of the wire. i have the jetscream and my range is well above 200 feet. chris
Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

yes you could try that, the channel "A" aero ace will work with the jetscream tx. if you have the bipe still use your tx to test the range on the jetscream. if your range is better then you have a problem with your plane. i had the exact same issue with my rolling fury before and thought it was shot but bought a fresh set of batteries and the problem was solved. also are you using rechargeable batteries? if so that also might be your problem. i use duracell rechargeable batteries from time to time and they work well but they also have less power output compared to the disposabe batteries. (rechagables are 1.2 v compared to 1.5 v of the disposable). ill be online all day as im spending the day repairing my boat, sub, trucks, and planes so keep posting back with your progress, chris
Old 06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
widgeteer

BUMP
Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM
widgeteer

Hi L.S., try adding some wire to the rx antenna,and let it trail behind.
and the battery thing; yes, if you use re-chargables, you nee to add an extra battery to get the voltage you need. Get a batt. box from radio Shack or some place and wire it in.
I am constantly checking my batteries - ni-cad and lead acid - and segregate them into like-voltage groups. ( I keep'em in a marked zip-lock). I use ni-cads in my camera and found the ni-cads will discharge on their own.
and when I am not using a tx, I take out every other batt to keep the batteries from trickling down in the tx box. and NEVER leave a ni-cad in the tx.
This works for me.
Just my .02
Old 06-30-2008, 04:44 PM
lawrence_stuart

ORIGINAL: widgeteer

Hi L.S., try adding some wire to the rx antenna,and let it trail behind.
and the battery thing; yes, if you use re-chargables, you nee to add an extra battery to get the voltage you need. Get a batt. box from radio Shack or some place and wire it in.
I am constantly checking my batteries - ni-cad and lead acid - and segregate them into like-voltage groups. ( I keep'em in a marked zip-lock). I use ni-cads in my camera and found the ni-cads will discharge on their own.
and when I am not using a tx, I take out every other batt to keep the batteries from trickling down in the tx box. and NEVER leave a ni-cad in the tx.
This works for me.
Just my .02
The rx wire already extends 5" past the tail of the plane and appears longer than the wire in my old Aero Ace Bipe which had much better range.

I'm using new 1.5 alkalines in the rx, not 1.2v rechargeable nicads. I'm convinced that this thing has either a bad rx or tx but I'm not going to spend anymore time debugging the problem. I think I'll build my own micro/small planes with real radio equipment from now on.

Thanks for your input
-LS
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
widgeteer

You got the right idea - go mini-micro r/c- I just got a box of micro parts from ( don't want to be accused of trolling-_ plantraco stuff, and a module for a futaba tx I had lying ( laying ?) around gathering cob webs - just started to look at this stuff - I am tired of scing around with toys - loaded up the plastic - (so what. I might tip over before I have to pay off. LOL )
I want a real r/c airplane, you know? Ummmm - save your money and get into real micro - mini indoor/ yard flyers, is my thought.
KEEP in touch !!
regards;
the widge
Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Dave ESPI

For what it is, the jetscream is a damn fine toy.

Mine has over 20 flights on it, and no radio range issues at all.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Ched

I don't have one but I read that the 27 freqs had crummy range and the 49 freqs were good.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

i too have heard that 49 is better than the 27 mhz. i was yold it is because the 49 mhz is a longer wave length. i recently decided to return my jetscream and for the same price got the estes turbo thruster. its about 3 times larger than the jetscream and looks pretty nice. it uses a single ducted fan jet for thrust and a rudder for steering. ill post back later as soon as the weather clears up enough to test fly it. heres a link with a pic.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...YEbKGUMGYAxOQA