Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Parkzone Cessna 210 centurion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Cessna 210 centurion

The Upgrade motor/gearbox and prop from http://bsdmicrorc.com/
Works GREAT. It has twice the power of the stock motor and prop set-up. Doing continous loops is no problem anymore.
I ordered the GWJ 7mm GB w/SS Pager Red (motor/gearbox combo) But I asked for the Blue motor in the final notes because it is a faster motor and that is the way they do it.
and I ordered the 120 X 90 Carbon prop. It even looks cool. As you will see in the video it is alot faster and more powerfull. I was showing off flying inverted at WOT and it was loosing speed fast and before I knew it, it was too late and I smacked into my wifes car and broke the prop. I have 4 more on order. and another motor/gearbox/prop on order for my Citabria

The process involved is very easy. Just cut the tape/decals with a hobby knife. That is what holds the top half of the plane on. Then just lift it off and expose all the gear.
Cut the wires about 1/2" away from the motor. Carefully remove the old motor/gearbox from the plane with your hobby knife. This is a good time to strip the wires on both the new motor and the motor wires coming from the 4 in 1 in the plane. WHen mounting the new motor/gearbox I had to cut a small half circle out of the front of the plane where the prop shaft came through so the new motor/gearbox would fit. I used Elmers Glue to mount the new motor/gearbox in place and let it dry over night. The I Soldered the motor wires back together. Of course I performed a polarity check first sot he prop would turn the right way. Then when putting the top half back on I had to cut a small section out of the front of it in the same basic place as I did the bottom sot he gear would fit. It looks really cool. It reminds me of a Blower sticking out of the hood of an old hot rod car Then I used tape to seal the two halves back together.
My 8 year old son did his best running the video camera. Lets give him a break, this is his first time taking a video of a plane. He usually records my boats and trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHW0y5SA1A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81211.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1056334   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43132.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1056335   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28470.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1056336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20291.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1056337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55324.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1056338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98296.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1056339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln12199.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1056340  
Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
aviator24

Very Nice!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

very kool indeed!!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks,
I just can't wait to fly it again. I ordered 4 more props today and another kit to go in my Citibria
Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 AM
darticus

How about the new motor and the old original prop? Did you try that? Ron
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Wheelnut

I am pretty sure it would be slower. The new prop is much more agressive. It would also be hard to adapt the old prop. The shaft on the new gearbox only sticks out about 1/16". The old one threads on. I gues you could dremel the heck out of it to get it flat enough. But I am skeptical of the results and the possibility of frying the 4 in 1 scares me.
Gerald
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
darticus

10-4 over
Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 PM
RCdestroyer

Oh my GOD!!! My cessna just broke again ( 3rd time ) but this time it's the servo. I have no Idea whats wrong with it ill I know is right when you put the battery in it, it makes a really scary scraching noise that sounds like a little calculator printer and also the servos won't turn left or right. I figured I'm going to have to buy a whole new reciever thing which will set me back a good 50$ and I'm wondering if its worth it because it already broke 3 times in less than the 8 months I've had it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Wheelnut

Have you ever put some oil on the servo?
My elevator wasn't working right after about 4 flights, I read that it is suggested to oil the servo. So I took my Trinity bearing oil dropper add put one tiny drop on the mechanical part of the servo and it started working great again. I lubed both servos.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:30 AM
aviator24

Mine did the exact same thing! I sent it back, they sent me a brand new one! This is a common problem.
I did put some white grease on my new one and have not had anymore problems. Course I will now cuzz I said it[:@]

ORIGINAL: RCdestroyer

Oh my GOD!!! My cessna just broke again ( 3rd time ) but this time it's the servo. I have no Idea whats wrong with it ill I know is right when you put the battery in it, it makes a really scary scraching noise that sounds like a little calculator printer and also the servos won't turn left or right. I figured I'm going to have to buy a whole new reciever thing which will set me back a good 50$ and I'm wondering if its worth it because it already broke 3 times in less than the 8 months I've had it.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM
RCdestroyer

I mean the controller doesn't even have to be on for it to do this, its just right when I put the battery in it, it starts to turn really fast and won't stop.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Wheelnut

Is anyone else considering the mod I did?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
iflyrc1012

i think i'll leave my citibria alone for now. . but if the motor ever gives me a reason to change it, i'll keep your mod in mind.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM
RCdestroyer

I got my new Cesnna from horizion hobby yesterday and first thing I noticed was they have little plastic stand on the back to support the vertical flap (the rudder), and I also noticed either the back is heavier then the front or the servo can't make the horiziontal flap (The elevator) go down enough because when ever I fly it even with the horiziontal flap down as much as possible it flies very awkard like it has alot more weight in the back then the front. Any body else get a cessna lately and notice these things also.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Wheelnut

Are you saying there is a problem with the elevator? or the Rudder?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
RCdestroyer

I meant the horiziontal flap as the elevator.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Wheelnut

I totally don't get how your Cessna could be tail heavy and no one else's is. Try putting a little weight on the front and see how she flies.

PS. I don't recommend the hot glue to mount the upgrade motor. It hot glue was so hot it actually melted the foam. I would recommend the Elmer's Gel or something similar.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Wheelnut

Hey guys, Be careful with this mod. I have also done the exact same mod to my Citibria and I am having issues with both.
After flying for about 3 minutes, the throttle power will go out for a few seconds, long enough for me to have to land the plane with the rudder and elevator still working and then all of a sudden the throttle will start working again. I think the red motor is pulling too many amps. Maybe the blue motor would be a better choice. I am going to see if I can get a less aggressive prop to see if that helps. Maybe try the 110mah battery from my MCX to see how that works.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 AM
aviator24

Tough to get a wattmeter on one of these...
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 AM
hellyeh

We didn't have good luck with these tonight . [] Out of 5 of these flown tonight for the first time , 3 have servo issues . My Citabria was on the first flight , about 5 min. in , when the elevator servo stripped . Another guy's Cessna stripped the rudder servo about 2 min. in on the first flight , and my buddy's Citabria stripped the elevator servo on the fourth flight . The other Citabria flew about 12 flights with no problems , and another Cessna went about 4 times without issues as well . Gonna call Product Support tomorrow , and see what they'll do for us . Shouldn't have any issues , as it sems to happen to others as well , but will keep a running report on what they do for us up here in Canada .
Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Wheelnut

hellyeh,
You need to lightly lube the servos before flying these planes.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM
hellyeh

I read this entire thread , and others prior to flying , and followed that recomendation on the two Citabria's . I put one drop on each gear of the servo's , and one drop on each bushing of the gearbox . The Cessna was pulled from the box , and only the bushings on the motor were lubed , and it had the same problem on the first flight . I think we just got a poor batch of servo bricks . It looks like the plastic on the servo slide has stripped out . Both Citabria's lost the elevator , and the Cessna lost the rudder . Out of 5 planes flown for the first time , 3 had issues . Not a very good average . The planes were all purchased from the same store , so it's possible we just got a bad batch . I hope Horizon does the right thing , as we were really having a ball with the little buggers . Wait and see .
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
hellyeh

Talked to my buddy with the Cessna , Horizon is sending out a replacement board for him . Just got off the phone with Horizon , and they are sending me a new board as well . [8D] Offered a suggestion to help save them some shipping cost by sending all three to one address , but they wouldn't go for it . Still waiting on a call from other buddy with Citabria , to confirm that he is being taken care of too . When asked if they see alot of this problem with these boards , i was told that there have been a few , but it's not that common . 3 out of 5 for us is a pretty good failure rate , or maybe we are just unlucky ? Others MUST be having the same issues , yet don't say anything ! They will never come up with a proper fix , if people don't report in numbers . I asked him what would happen if the new board did the same thing , and i was told i would have to send the plane in on my dime , as RMA's are not issued for cross-border purchases . That's uncool ! We'll see how this all plays out , and i'll keep everyone informed .
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
iflyrc1012

guys,
i have a citaribria with about 60 flights on it. no problems at all. i have never lubed,oiled or greased it in any way shape or form. after about 15 or 20 flights i noticed a small INCREASE in flight times. . i guess due to battery break-in?? otherwise no problems at all!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
hellyeh

Talked to other buddy with the Citabria , and Horizon is going to send him a new brick as well . [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.