Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Who's Flying the PZ Vapor?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 PM
RKS1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Flying the PZ Vapor?

I just picked up a Vapor,and have to admit,I really like it. It even flys outside well in a slight breeze. We don't have much access to a indoor flying area here,but got the green light from our National Guard Armory to fly in there gym next week. It will be the first time I've ever had a chance to fly inside,in a area larger than 9ftX8ft. Should be fun. Ron
Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Who's Flying the PZ Vapor?

It will be lots of fun.
once a week I get the chance to fly in a gym.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
sixinarow

Well, my mom wanted Christmas ideas so I mentioned the Vapor. I have been good and holding back from buying it first! Looks like lots of fun. The LHS guys fly it in their building every time I am there.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:20 PM
ZX9CRAZY
My Feedback: (23)

I fly mine at work in our warehouse. I bet I have over 100 battery charges through it and not a single broken part. Excellent little plane
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
RKS1949

I've beat mine like a rented mule! I've only broken the landing gear,and the plane flys great. Now that I'm flying in a larger area,I think the plane will fly with less beatings! The Armory seems huge compared to my basement(and no objects to constantly dodge either.) My plane will try to "tuck under/dive" when using full power. Is this normal,or do I need to make some changes? It will fly inverted "short distances,loop both inside,and outside,and do flat inverted spins. Now I can hardly wait to go fly it inside. Ron
Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM
ZX9CRAZY

tuck under dive at full throttle? Thats not right. Slide your wing forward and your battery back maybe that will help
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 AM
sixinarow

So I bought one this morning, using a Christmas gift card for some of it. Love it so far. Did some loops and wingovers on the second flight. Have about six flights on her now. One problem. I broke the carbon fiber rod hinge for the horizontal stab. I removed it and used a .5 mm mechanical pencil lead and fits perfectly, only it's very weak!

I see there is a replacement stab online, but not sure if my LHS has them. I see the new part comes with the plastic piece that slides onto the carbon fiber fuse "stick". How do I removed it? It seems glued in or on pretty tight.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 AM
RKS1949

ORIGINAL: ZX9CRAZY

tuck under dive at full throttle? Thats not right. Slide your wing forward and your battery back maybe that will help
Thanks,I'll give that a try!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM
RockEnRoller6

I'm thinking of picking one up at my LHS. So far you all think it's worth $100.00? I work at an airport, so I really want something to fly in the hanger!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM
RKS1949

ORIGINAL: RockEnRoller6

I'm thinking of picking one up at my LHS. So far you all think it's worth $100.00? I work at an airport, so I really want something to fly in the hanger!!!
You won't be dissapointed! Ron
Old 12-27-2008, 09:43 PM
ZX9CRAZY

ORIGINAL: RockEnRoller6

Worth every penny!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
ZX9CRAZY

ORIGINAL: sixinarow

So I bought one this morning, using a Christmas gift card for some of it. Love it so far. Did some loops and wingovers on the second flight. Have about six flights on her now. One problem. I broke the carbon fiber rod hinge for the horizontal stab. I removed it and used a .5 mm mechanical pencil lead and fits perfectly, only it's very weak!

I see there is a replacement stab online, but not sure if my LHS has them. I see the new part comes with the plastic piece that slides onto the carbon fiber fuse "stick". How do I removed it? It seems glued in or on pretty tight.
I know accetone(finger nail polish remover) works great at disolving cyanoacrylate glue. Just use a little then let it sit and dissolve for a while. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 AM
sixinarow

Thanks. I should have figured acetone or alchohol would, just didn't think about it at the time!

Yes, it is worth $100 for sure. In fact I found it to be worth $200, since I bought two. Don't tell my girlfriend, I owe her money!

The first one broke the horizontal stab pivot link first thing, so I called for parts. No one carried any so I decided another plane would be cheaper than rebuilding in the long run. I also ordered a new horizontal and vertical stab online so I will have two complete planes by mid next week. Oh and since I have an mCX, six batteries and three chargers!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
sixinarow

So I've been flying it alot at work before public hours of the theater (iWerks Theater-same size as Imax).

It's a lot of fun, but I got tired of slow flight, throttle-off landings, and loops. So I started flying upside-down. It's tough with full throttle with such a dihedral, asymetric wing, but if flying up into a loop, full up elevator and half throttle will let it fly upside-down. Pretty cool
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I just got my lhs to get one in. Next week for me.

Tim
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Mark in Missouri

I wasn't, until now, a real enthusiastic indoor flyer. Always thought that small aircraft would be more difficult to fly than the larger (such as the Kadet Sr. w/ a glow engine) R/C models and besides I figured there'd be a lot more things to run into indoors versus outdoors. Our club has both an indoor place to fly (gymnasium) as well as an awesome outdoor field. Just recently I finally took the plunge and got an indoor model (PZ Vapor). After flying a friend's Vapor I got one w/ the thought of using it to help develop my flying skills during the winter months. Stick time is what I need and sims help but lack the realism I seek.
The slow-flying Vapor should work well for me and the advantages of indoor flying, particularly no weather, have become very attractive as the temperature drops. Electric indoor flying can be a lot of fun and I suspect I'll gravitate more and more towards it as I now see it as an excellent way to complement my other R/C activities.
RS1949 began this thread with asking who's flying the PZ Vapor. A longtime outdoor flyer is.

Blue Skies & calm winds,
Mark in Missouri
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
oldman
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys I've got a quick question from a neophite. Can I ust the same ,stock transmitter with the Vapor as I got with my mcx? Will it bind with both ? Do I have to re-bind each time I use it on the other aircraft?
Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I am pretty sure you can. And if they are both DSM2 technology as I suspect, then yes again. And no you would not need to rebind them. I have the DX5e and I fly both the MCX and other planes with it and I don't have to rebind.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying my Vapor in a living/dining room area, so it's hard turns and hanging on the prop. Prop hanging is a blast, and it will tail slide too. I've hit just about everything in the house and nothing has broken yet. This little thing is a blast to fly in confined spaces.

Yes, you can bind with the mcx transmitter, but it's in reverse sequence. You have to plug in the Vapor battery, and then turn on the TX with the left stick pushed down within 5 seconds to get the Vapor to bind. After that, everything works perfectly fine. It also flies with the mcx batteries hanging down if you don't put velcro on them. The mcx charger will charge the Vapor batteries.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have mine, and this plane is an absolute hoot. inside loops are nothing, outside loops are easy. Super tight turns, plenty of speed available. Rog in 18" or less. This is a heck of a plane for the cost.

Tim
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will ROG in less space if you launch off of a table. I've done it with about 6" of run.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys. For anyone running the Vapor, and wishing they had that extra channel or two, you can now have it.
The PZ Vapor RX is 5 channel will run a rudder servo and a 5th channel servo. All that is required is soldering the
servo wires to the right places. Solder the positive and negative servo wires to the lipo wires (main power), and
then the signal wire to the solder pad shown in the pic. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes if you're good with an iron,
and thats it. I havent tried the 5th channel, but I know the 4th channel rudder works.

more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985344

new rudder channel in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcfQgmt3ffQ
dont mind the giant servo, it was just the closest one on hand...a Toki .8g servo or Falcon would be ideal.

Thanks goes to dmitrygr for this awesome find.

Nick

edit: And now we have a soon to be airframe that is perfect for this mod!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985009

edit again: It seems there are two differant software versions for the Vapor RXs, ones with AutoBind, and ones
without AutoBind. May only be the non-AutoBind versions that will work for this mod. If anyone trys this mod,
please do post your results, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13601.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1113476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74416.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1113477  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Some video of the Vapor flying at my moms house in the new addition. The quality looks pretty decent
on my computer, but youtube seems to have reduced it a lot, looks better in the small window view
rather than full screen. Theres a nice loop at around 4:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagaEXRz5-A
The CG was set pretty far back so it was a bit squirrely, still had to force it into the loops though. Its
durability is still surprising me, it can take quite a beating.

Nick
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
SLUT

Flying that Vapor makes me wet..I just can't get enough of it....but my prop broke how do you fix it?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I kept waiting for the cat to make a grab for the plane[X(].

Here's a short vid of my vapor outside. I buggered the credits and titles. But at the end I was in a controlled, inverted, spiral.

http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...ideo%20one.wmv

Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.