Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Mini P-51D from Horizon/Parkzone

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Mini P-51D from Horizon/Parkzone

Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini P-51D from Horizon/Parkzone

The 240's from HC is what I use.. they work great!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Shortbuss

Thanks guys! Not sure about the MSR but the 4site looks cool. Do you need a better radio than the DX5e? It has been pretty cold here, that little lipo just doesnt like the cold eh...

Pete
Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Bowerz

Yes, a computer radio will be needed with this plane 1-1 full rates will make this plane stupidly hard to fly.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Real Gambler

ORIGINAL: Bowerz

Yes, a computer radio will be needed with this plane 1-1 full rates will make this plane stupidly hard to fly.
Dang, don't say it that way... Now, this is something Ihave to try!

BTW: I agree, you need expo. If memory is good, recommended expo in the 4-Site manual is pretty high too...

Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, this goes back to the Weighted UM-P51 thread, that is where the pics are. I flew the mod today.

"I assumed that this mod would have some effect, but from tonights quick test flight the result is amazing. I am in a trough between storms and the wind was nominal. This is a good time to crash an airplane. I pulled out the brushed SU-26, but then decided that my window would be short. So I grabbed the Mustang. And threw it into bad air.

The result usually is a kiting plane that diving is the only way down and that extreme deflection is necessary to move. What happened, was that with 100% rates and 25% expo, I had a hot plane in the air with the shears etc and was in need of a touch of trim, but could handle the air. I will do a couple more flights, but if the findings are confirmed the wing panels will be permanent. In simple terms, this mod was vastly more successful than expected.

Fern

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...#ixzz0mLyTlMar
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone else break off the vertical stab?
That thing is THIN!
I tried gluing it with ca, but it makes the area brittle, and then it breaks even easier. Is a replacement part avialable, or do I have to bust out some 1/16th balsa?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Dead stick, you can buy tail feathers or you can get a foam picnic plate and just cut another one. For glue I recommend UHU Por. Graves and Hobby-Lobby carry it. That is a particularly bad spot to break.

Yep it is a hoot

Fern
Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Aircraftfreak15

ive broke the stab numerus times and i do belive there is a replacement.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I finally got a chance to fly the Hyperion battery in the Mustang. Very fast.

Fern
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
orlbuzz

Aileron Linkage Adjustment

I have speed read through most of the P51D forums I can find and I can't find an answer to this.

I picked up one today. I had read the manual online before buying. There is a reference to moving the aileron linkage to another hole for more throw. My bird has a "looped" connection to the bellcrank and can't be popped off.

I called Horizon and my question seemed to catch him off guard. He had to go look at an airplane to see what I was talking about. He agreed that that link doesn't come apart.

Has anyone changed theirs with the other type of link, and is it really necessary? I am a novice flyer, so I probably don't need it. I am much better with my helis.

Has anyone else found this with recently purchased planes?

orlbuzz
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Saburo Sakai

Veteran Micro P-51 Managers,

Just picked up a little PZ fitty-one and noticed that the nose is canted over about 5-10 degrees to the right, and so smoothly it's gotta be intentionalwhat, is that to compensate for motor torque or did I get a freaky plane? Seems allright but haven't flown her enough to know better. Go look at your Fitty-Ones and see if they've got crooked noses, too ! What say you? Is Sakai paranoid flyer? 

Sank you very much[8D]

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 PM
trroadster

That's the way it's supposed to be. Best to use a spektrum TX and dial in some expo. Much easier to handle then.

have fun

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

Veteran Micro P-51 Managers,

Just picked up a little PZ fitty-one and noticed that the nose is canted over about 5-10 degrees to the right, and so smoothly it's gotta be intentionalwhat, is that to compensate for motor torque or did I get a freaky plane? Seems allright but haven't flown her enough to know better. Go look at your Fitty-Ones and see if they've got crooked noses, too ! What say you? Is Sakai paranoid flyer?

Sank you very much[8D]

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
trroadster

ORIGINAL: deadstick8409

Anyone else break off the vertical stab?
That thing is THIN!
I tried gluing it with ca, but it makes the area brittle, and then it breaks even easier. Is a replacement part avialable, or do I have to bust out some 1/16th balsa?
1/32 would be better or 1mm depron.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Saburo Sakai

This PZ 51 is pretty quick indeed.  And tough. After a little level flight at speed the trim was way off and my timing way off in adjusting, and she was suicide nose-first, hard into the street before I could say, "Nooooooo!!!". The Crash Rescue team just left and gave me a big STUPID ticket. Her spinner was cleaved perfectly in two by the prop's direct, driving impact with stone, and there was a little compression of her fuse aft of the prop.
     No problem! Motor fine and still balanced! Why? The foam nose cusioned the blow while it was being split! Five-minuted the spinner back on the prop, squeezed the fuse straight and she's flying again! Noticed that Prismacolor Pens in Olive drab and black match so I covered scrapes with it.
Good bird but need more sim time and more grass! Do you guys know of and recommend a slower, slightly  less awesome 51 that isn't so fast for concrete flying?
God bless our American Skies!
 Sakai[8D] Bonzai!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Saburo Sakai

After flying a new Ember 2 around I do miss the power of the PZ micro fitty-one. It punches right through the wind with authority, and THEN, turning her around,  the  cross-wind takes her where it wills! Can't have it all until I learn to have it all! 
Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: orlbuzz

Aileron Linkage Adjustment

I have speed read through most of the P51D forums I can find and I can't find an answer to this.

I picked up one today. I had read the manual online before buying. There is a reference to moving the aileron linkage to another hole for more throw. My bird has a ''looped'' connection to the bellcrank and can't be popped off.

I called Horizon and my question seemed to catch him off guard. He had to go look at an airplane to see what I was talking about. He agreed that that link doesn't come apart.

Has anyone changed theirs with the other type of link, and is it really necessary? I am a novice flyer, so I probably don't need it. I am much better with my helis.

Has anyone else found this with recently purchased planes?

orlbuzz
I have never checked my P-51, but my new T-28 needed this adjustment. At first I thought the connection with the bell crank was looped like you indicated. Upon closer examination, it is simply two wires that aren't connected. One is bent 90 degrees to go into the bell crank hole, the other acts as a "clip" to hold it in place. I'm guessing this is true on the P-51. Insert a thin blade between the wires and twist to see if it comes apart.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Saburo Sakai

Obuzz, until you're ready and want to make insanely quick snap rolls I cannot see a reason to increase throw. As afairly neophyte flyer but one who's now getting lots of hands-on time, I find it more critical to practice simple stability through normal flight direction changes while allowing for theinevitably varying wind speed and direction. I do wait until those days when winds are light, as this plane will roll wildly AWAY if the wind gets underneath that big, cambered wing. Keeping the outside wing tip down with a cross wind is needed finesse enough.

BUT if you need to get in there, I opened up my 51 today because one of those linkage wires went slack-o-lucy on me after a quick field adjustment I made. The rudder wire. At juncture bends on all threeservo control wires are little crimp sleeves of plastic or paper that can come loose, creating a physical, disconnected slack in the whole system. These sleeve crimps are WEAK. I superglued all the sleeves to the wires to secure them. Now the connections are tight with no free-play slack.
I would NOT WANT TO MESS with that tight little aileron bellcrank connection as I think I would bend it irreparably trying to loosen that long, oval-shaped loop connection to the bellcrank. It could be done, but.......
I learned how important it is to get some height, at least tweety feet, to allow for the inevitable input error that gets the opposite response I'm looking for. That still happens but a lot less afer little time. And, fly over SOFT terrain-grass or light bushy stuff only. The bird is surprisingly durable, but impacts to the wing or nose at speed compromise the foam, weakening it. Tape or "applying opposite bend"only do so much for so long.....

Fly and defy the enemy that is fear of cracking up that beloved bird!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
orlbuzz

Thanks, cjg and Saburo Sakai. ckg, I too discovered I needed to move the link on my recently purchased T-28 and I got it apart EXACTLY as you described. (I hadn't looked at this forum in a while because it was inactive ) I've found the P-51 rolls fairly quickly without moving the link, as long as I use a little down elevator in the inverted portion of the roll. The T-28 definitively needed to be moved to roll well.

orlbuzz
Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Saburo Sakai

This plane rules! Today I flew in aggressive Grackle-infested skies and the black birds didn't even think of attacking her!Did I just get lucky? I'm dialing out some expo....getting cocky, maybe. Hey, I just ordered the 150 mAh 12C batts. for this bird from H.H. Any combatibility issues I'm not aware of? I'm DC electrically-challenged but know I won't experience descrimination for this terrible disability.

P-51still rules the skies! Sakai-[8D]

NOTE: Horizon Hobby just emailed me and I got a green light on the 150s. Sweet!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
jtflys

Just put a parkflyer plastics cockpit kit in mine, it's a cool little kit. Need a mag glass to paint it..
jt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81265.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1553031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61978.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1553032  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Or a set of these I have a similar set and they are great.
Ok some wierd problem with pics AGAIN!![:@][:'(] Is this site EVER going to fix problems
So here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...303RYM88NSTKX3
Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Saburo Sakai

I do like that clear canopy! An evil mancould put a NASA space mouse in there and fly him around and scare the heck out of him! That would be wrong, of course. Mice are cool, and save many of our lives with their laboratory sacrifices.
Hey, dudes, what do you think of this site here:
http://rcfightersforfreedom.blogspot.com/

Read the mainphoto caption for a laugh. Then check out the second post for a laugh and maybe a cry, too.I am interested in your feedback.