Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

ERC MICRO P-51 MUSTANG

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ERC MICRO P-51 MUSTANG

yeah ive noticed that the ailerons move more when you jam the stick rather than slowly move the stick.

for weight reductions ive done the following things, some might seem insignificant but all of it adds up. i removed the landing gear and black landing gear mount pieces, on the control horns for the ailerons after i moved them to the closet holes i trimmed the excess plastic off the horns, and i removed the labels from the lipos. i have no idea what the total weight loss is, im guessing its somewhat significant. i wish i had a digital scale to weigh them on lol.

ive also started building a slightly lager version of the mustang. ill get some pics up of it once i have a little more done
Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
joizeex

i hope everyone had a good holiday weekend? i sure did! beer, food, repeat

so as it turned out, one of the spars popped out of the center retainer. CA'ed it back in. one day i'll take a pic to show you guys just how tattered this wing assembly is lol.

so what's a good place to get strong magnets of small size anyway?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

check out unitednuclear.com, havent ever bought from them but i know they did carry them along with a whole host of other interesting stuff
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 AM
diabolic-mind

radioshack has powerful rare earth magnets. im sure some small enough to be used on the plane would be easy to find.

i also had a unusual, what if on the motor assembly the motors drive gear and the prop gear were flipped. the powerr output would be massive. im sure it would probably burn up the motor though. but it was something i thought of randomly while considering the option of finding a different gear ratio. im trying to find a gear setup where the motor ger is larger and the prop gear is smaller. should have a huge power difference. my main goal with doing this is increased power output with less throttle input resulting in longer flight times.

im also going to be getting some larger mah lipos soon. im curious to see what type of flight times can be achieved using better lipos, gearing, etc.

my holiday was alright, i also had some food nd beers, followed by swimming, then snorkelling lol
Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Vertical3-D

changing the gearing the way you described will actually result in a power loss, the motor does not have the torque to run higher gearing, also the higher gearing will draw more amperage and decrease flight times and stress the ESC and batteries, I would probably try different props, GWS makes a whole assortment of small props you could try using
Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah a fiend of mine used GWS props on his suhkoi, he had to use heat shrink tubing to make the prop shaft diameter large enough to fit the prop. i might look into getting yet another prop but im still going to consider finding a different gear ratio for it along with better mah lipos. ive also considered removing all the decals to drop some more weight. which would help with flight times too im sure
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
joizeex

i've been also thinking... could placing some strong magnets around the motor add any power/rpm? btw, just be careful about putting too much of a current drain from different gears, because the ESC is built into the Rx board and the entire thing can burn out and become useless.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

yeah a fiend of mine used GWS props on his suhkoi, he had to use heat shrink tubing to make the prop shaft diameter large enough to fit the prop. i might look into getting yet another prop but im still going to consider finding a different gear ratio for it along with better mah lipos. ive also considered removing all the decals to drop some more weight. which would help with flight times too im sure
It would be better to use a prop saver.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
diabolic-mind

i went ahead and did it guys, i made the ailerons longer. it was alot easier than i thought it would be. had it done in under an hour. i just cut the one side then used that piece to get an even sized cut on the other side. i then used my exacto to bevel the edge of the aileron that i cut so that it would hit or rub on the wing when it moved. i then taped it flush against the edge of the existing aileron, and then used a piece of tape to hold it in place as a hinge. turned out pretty good i think. i also removed all the decals except for the instrument panel, but i did cut and remove the green piece off the instrument panel. i think it still looks good, and i stuck all the decals together in a ball and it had a decent amount of weight. i think im going to buy a digital scal just to see how much weight i did in fact remove all together. ill get a flight report up for you guys tommorrow. i have a feeling its going to roll awsome and probably turn like a bat out of hell lol. heres some pics, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34384.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1447221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35914.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1447222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80758.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1447223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17819.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1447224  
Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
diabolic-mind

well i flight tested it today but it was very windy unfortunately. but from what i can tell the ailerons i lengthend did make a difference. it did roll fairly easy. ill try again tommorrow if the wind isnt blasting and hopefully get a more accurate report. it did however seem like right turns were a bit slower than left. i will have to look into it more!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
joizeex

well good to hear that it went well. i noticed that when it's windy, it's always harder to roll right. my guess is motor torque?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
diabolic-mind

its possible its motor torque. in headwind the prop would be spinning faster which would make sence. but down wind it would be spinning normal so im not to sure on that. im gonna check the ailerons travel and make sure there moving evenly. today was the first time i flew it in heavy wind and it flew fairly well. it was jumping up and down alot in the wind but it stayed in the air really well. to my surpise it felt easier to fly in the heavy wind than the playmate. oh i thought of another mod for the mustang today too. its not something im going to do because i dont use the landing gear. but if anyone wanted a steerable tail wheel if you could mount one on it and have it pivot and have a servo horn on it, you could run another thin pushrod off of one of the holes on the aileron servo horns. it should be fairly easy to do do from what im thinking. the steering control would just be controlled with the aileron inputs. just a thought though
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 AM
diabolic-mind

any word on the possible use of that plug on the reciever yet? id love to hear that its for a optional 3rd servo. the possibilities would be endless. rudder, flaps, bomb release module.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
diabolic-mind

this thread got awfully quiet, did all the erc mustangs go down in a blaze of glory? lol
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Vertical3-D

mines still fine, just need to find time to tweak and fly it more, my 81" cub is so much fun to fly the mustang gets pushed to the side a lot when i have time to fly, also need to get my modded phase 3 F-16 back in action, 90mph jets are always fun...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
diabolic-mind

yeah ive eyeballed the phase 3 f-16 several times. do you have any pics of your f-16 i could drool over? i got my second mustang and it flies 100 times better than the original. im debating on retiring it and using its "guts" in something scratch built. the new mustang i got seems to have more roll than the first one. all i did to it was put the outdoor prop on it and super glue the prop shaft gear in place so it doesnt come loose on those pesky "hard landings". i will probably setup the ailerons for max throw on the ailerons servo hons though. but i think my original mustang got jealous of the new one because i swear to god it was flying incredibly horrible tonight. when i went to do a loop it would go into a roll as it was going inverted, i made absolutly sure i wasnt giving it aileron input too. plus the original lazy left turn came back, and it kept wanting too lose altitude. it was pretty odd becaause it hasnt been crash or mishandled at all. but the new one does loops super smoothly, does reverse loops just as easy and doesnt have that pesky lazy left turn.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Vertical3-D

I'll get you some pics of it tonight, though it'll be a bit later till i get home from work and stuff so maybe check back here tomorrow, It's a great plane, flys nicely on a 4s pack with a little screamers jet screamer motor in it and a 60amp ESC, it will damn near hover with that setup, flys what I would guess to be an honest 90mph though it's never been clocked
Old 06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
diabolic-mind

i did a worlds fastest rc plane search on youtube and found a plane that was clocked doing 399mph. the most impressive prt is that it was  glider without a motor. the need for speed is something that never really appealed to me. i like cruising along and doing a few stunts here and there.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
joizeex

yea, i've seen those glider vids before and it basically keeps going in a circle, up and down a slope. i also thought that it was tethered because a person wouldn't be able to control it that fast.

so i was looking at the PZ sukhoi26 prop and it's bigger, but possibly with less pitch on it. i'm debating if i should try it out, or if it'll burn out the motor/esc.

i'm so close on ordering the airframe for that PZ corsair, i just can't decide! i still have 3 helis that i just started to do some simple 3D on, so i kinda want to stick with it for a bit to get really comfortable in it. at the same time, i want to try something new.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Vertical3-D

heres the pics of the Phase3 F-16, it's a great flyer but I wouldn't suggest it for someone unfamiliar with EDF, it's a bit of a handful with the weight of the 4S pack in it and glides like a brick, but when the speeds up it can really rip, it has taileron controls, so basically elevon mixing on full flying stabilizers, works very very well, keeps it simple, two servos, two surfaces...very basic but very aerodynamic and smooth flying setup...I am very happy with the plane it takes a lot of abuse and keeps on going, it was destroyed and repaired once do to radio problems, after that I switched to the 2.4Ghz futaba I have pictured with it for some scale,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85285.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1450916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64117.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1450917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74055.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1450918  
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
joizeex

4S eh? are you running a 70mm fan and what kind of motor kV? i'm guessing 3000'ish? looks like a nice and simple setup. got any vids of the action?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Vertical3-D

sorry no videos, It's 4S 2000mah pack, 55mm fan, motor is 4500KV, rated at over 60,000RPM in the XF fan I have it installed in, works really well, I had hooked it up to my watts up meter but forget what it's drawing amp wise, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 amps...rated for 130-500watts so it's quite the little powerhouse...just thought of something, I have a tach for tuning my 4 stroke engines, I'll tach the mustang tomorrow with the outdoor prop, then any other props I try in the future I'll tach also...
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 AM
diabolic-mind

nice jet man, looks fast. i was thinking the same thing joizeex about those gliders, i thought they would have to be tethered, also if you look at the video with how fast the plane is whipping by and the size of the circle its doing, then pay attention to the guys head, he isnt moving his head fast enough to keep up with it. its still pretty cool though that they got those thing doing almost 400 mph.

check out my scratch built bipe thread, im hoping to have a video of its maiden fight today.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 AM
joizeex

yea man, those gliders move so fast, the camera can barely keep up. that's crazy. you'd expect that from jets, not glides, crazy!

Vertical, that sounds like a hella fast setup i keep thinking about getting a jet, but i'll have to start with a warbird or something slow first lol. i like that 360 degree vector thrust Su-34 on hobby-lobby, but then again, i'm Russian, so that's my s#%t.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

HI;Just wondering no mention of useing different radios?I used my Spectrum on a PZ vapor and much easier to deal with adjustements etc.No mention here if these can be used with one of the name brand 2.4s.No one seemsa to complain about the radio included but I likethe ability to recharge the radio!Also see no mention of being able to charge the batteries seperately such as PZ has?SOunds neat but would fellow be better off paying the additional price and getting PZ?Ibelieve they come with or have an avaiable charger etc and know can then use my regular radio as have both the Futaba and Spectrum and HITec modules for my 9C?New to this electric stuff!!!Thganks for your hints!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.