Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Any four-channel slow-flyer micros?

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Any four-channel slow-flyer micros?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 AM
learn2turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any four-channel slow-flyer micros?

I was into RC about 20 years ago, electric and glow planes and even a .30 size heli. I'm thinking of getting back into it.

A friend has some extra full-range DSM2 transmitters lying around he can lend me so was thinkin of starting with a BNFplane like from Parkzone.

What totally bums me out is they don't seem to have any four-channel slow fun fliers. They go from trainer still, high-wing, lots of dihedral, only 3-channel, to low-wing, high-wing-loading, hot planes.

I'd like something like one of those plans that looks like a WWI mono-wing but in a micro size so I can fly it in my yard. Characteristics.
    [*]four channel with ailerons.[*]lots of wing area.[*]flies slow[*]shoulder-wing or low wing with a touch of of dihedral[*]symetric or semi-symetric airfoil, not flat or concave bottom.[/list]I want to be able to nice graceful slow aerbatics like lazy-8s, loops, rolls, immelmans, hammerheads, etc. Without being an ace pilot with lightening reflexes.

I imagine I could start with something like an Ember II but know I'll wish it had ailerons and a bit less stable geometry after a few weeks.

I've seen planes like that up in the park-flyer size but that involves investing a lot more in motors, chargers, fligh packs, etc. The nice thing about the micro is for <$100 you get evevything but a Tx.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: Any four-channel slow-flyer micros?

im not too familiar with all the planes out there so my information is going to be limited. but as far as micros go there are alot of options. if slow is something you want then i recommend the flyzone playmate. it does not however have ailerons but it does have a slight amount of dihedral, and an airfoil shape to the wing. it does loops with ease and is ultimately a blast to fly. it cost 70 or 80 bucks which is an awsome deal and comes with everything you need to fly, radio with built in charger, plane, lipo, controller batteries and the box can be used as a trave case. again it does not have ailerons but out of the micros i have it is flown much more than the rest due to the fun factor of flying it. i generally fly slower and about 1/4 throttle and i get close to 20 minutes of flight out of it on a single lipo. also i have the erc micro p-51 mustang ridge runner. it is only 60 dollars, and has aileron, elevator and throttle control. it too is alot of fun to fly. it flies a bit faster than the playmate but does loops and can do rolls with a little moddification. for 60 bucks you get the controller with built in charger, the plane, 2 lipo's, a display stand, and the box can also be used as a carry case. alot of people choose the parkzone mustang over the erc because of the 4th channel, but the way i fly i relly dont have use of rudder when im flying using ailerons. the erc mustang is another great flying plane in my opinion. and it also has alot better detail than the parkzone mustang and its half the price. the downside to both of these planes is that you cannot use a different radio with them, you can only use the stock controller. it doesnt take much time to get used to using these controllers though. there is also a bipe called the albatros i believe that would possibly be more to your liking. i think its 4 channel, comes arf or bnf im not sure which. but i would reccomend either the playmate or erc micro mustang as i have a great time flying both planes. heres a link for each of them

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...FgAJmMsNKKmuPQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc..._THcmU4jYWIYtw

Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM
learn2turn

Still really interested in a four-channel.

Still really want to stick with DSM2 for some compatibility of radios for future planes.

I might just buy an Ember2 to play around with and get started and maybe let me kid try to learn to fly it.  Then go to a 4-ch for my next plane.

But, I'd still think it would be fun to have a 4-ch slower flying instead of a rip-up-the-sky plane.

I'm not beyond building something but when you start buying individual pieces and putting stuff together, the cost goes way up.

I wouldn't might finding a trashed parkzone with working electronics and trying to scratch-build a balsa airframe. I've been looking at that place on Ebay that sells damaged planes but haven't found anything good yet.  Either the electronics are bad or the price is too high.  I don't see a need to pay for $110 for an as-is plane, even if it's supposed to be fine, when it can be had new for $150.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Aircraftfreak15

the ultra micro 4-site is a bnf and flys prty slow from what ive seen and you can put the optonal airbreaks on it to slow it sown more its for chanell and with the transmit that your buddy can loan you to can rduce trale and put expo in it and make it fly how you want it to. I think it $149 for the bnf version and it come with the plane and a 4 port chager and 2 batterys. they have a plug and play version for $109 but you will need batterys and a charger.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
learn2turn

The 4-site looks fun but it also looks like a hot plane.  That 3D flying still where you pretty much beat the thing through the air with the prop is not what I want to start out with, not that I won't end up there soon.

You know what I want? 

A Fokker Eindecker , micro-size, BNF, with four channels. 

Maybe I'll get any old micro flyer and if I stay interested, build one in the next size up.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Aircraftfreak15

some thing like that is going to have to be a scrach build.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Here is something to think about until they do come out with one. You could make it a 4 channel
http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...551/index.html
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is one option, but it is a highwing set up, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Micro-Airplane and not Spektrum. Here is the closest to what you are asking for from HH http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...6XP-Bind-N-Fly The Sukhoi can go slow and fly as a simple aerobat, all in how you set up your radio and your thumbs. Also if your buddies spare dsm2 radios are the little gameboy style tx, you still have dual rates, but you do not get to program it.

Have fun

Fern
Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Aircraftfreak15

i had an idea you can probly modi fy the ultra micro j3 cub to 4-ch just need a linerer servo.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:48 AM
learn2turn

I ended but getting both a HobbyZone Cub and a Blade mSR with an extra batter thrown in for just over $200.  That has everything to get me started and will keep me busy for a while. 

These things are cheap enough that when I want a four-channel, I can just drop another $90 and buy one.  Or, if I find a trashed plane with working electronics cheap, I can try scratch building something.

Now if I can just convince the neighbor across the street to cut down the two trees in his front yard so I have more room to fly :-)
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
diabolic-mind

lol trees can be fun, ive gotten to the point that i fly my playmate in and out of the trees like a pylon racer. its pretty fun and the best part is if i hit a tree  all i gotta do i go pick up the plane and launch it again. these little micro are truely great, in my experience they take a hell of alot more abuse than the larger ones and keep on going. your gonna love this hobby though, its alot of fun. and scratch building is very satisfying too. nothing beat making something and then watching it fly, in a sence its like watching you kid take its first steps
Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM
learn2turn

I went through my RC stuff from 20 years ago I have enough balsa stock and lightweight iron on covering to probably built 20 micro flyers.

I don't supposed anyone sells a kit with everything but the airframe.  Basically the receive/esc/servo module plus prop/motor and two servos that would be in something like a micro p51 but only the mechanics?  I would probably be cost as much as buying a whole plane.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Yes it would cost as much as buying the whole plane. People make more off the parts than they do the PNP, BNF or RTF models.

So, just pick a 4 channel and buy it, have fun with it, then strip it and build the one you want. You could get some money back by selling the air frame from the BNF or PNP, as long as you don't crash it up.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
diabolic-mind

im debating on selling the electronics from a parkzone suhkoi.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
learn2turn

If you do want to sell the guts of a sukhoi, let me know.

I saw a used banged up Sukhois on eBay and am watching them. But not getting my hopes up. Everything goes for too much on eBay. The first sukhoi can be cheap new since the xp came out.

But again, if anyone wants to sell working guts of a 4-channel BNF, shoot me a message.

-l2t

PS

Guts would be three channls of working servos (two on board), ESC, and motor/prop.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
motomike
My Feedback: (4)

How bout something like this.

I don't have any experience with these other than flying similar planes in a simulator. If it is like them, they can fly very slow and do all the tricks you are talking about.

Mike

http://www.rcplanet.com/Kyosho_MINIU...0773cs-m2b.htm
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
karenheli

I would like to four channel helicopter which will seems not too expensive for me and be easy under controlled.