Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Micro SU-26 XP - Motor worn out in 2 weeks

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Parkzone Micro SU-26 XP - Motor worn out in 2 weeks

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Micro SU-26 XP - Motor worn out in 2 weeks

Hi,

I bought my Parkzone SU=26xp two weeks ago and have been flying it daily, probably close to 70 flights with no crashes.

Today during a flght the motor powered down and stopped 2 minutes into a fresh battery..

The motor is totally dead now.. The propellor will spin freely, it feels like the motor also spins more freely now (all gears are fine and meshing normally)

All other controls work fine. Different batteries tested, Re Binding tested.. All no good.

I never stalled the motor against power or abused it in any way.. It was only ever operated in flight. and always shut off completely for landings.. I was careful each time,

Here is a youtube of the aircraft a few days ago.. this was a typical flight for it.. no crashes, and minimal flick manouvres.

www.youtube.com/watch

After 3 days of flying this one I purchased a 2nd as a "spare" and after the motor failed on #1 today I took #2 out of the box and started flying it. It has much more power than the first one did (perhaps the first one was wearing out over time and I never noticed the reduction in power - but the new one climbs vertically no problem).

Would it be normal for the motor to just wear out after this many flights? How long should they last?

Should I just accept that I wore it out or take it back under warranty.

All advice appreciated..

Thank you.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: Parkzone Micro SU-26 XP - Motor worn out in 2 weeks

its possible it just had a faulty battery from the start. i recently got a new flyzone playmate and the motor in it overheated and melted the motor mount on the first flight. the cause of the issue ended up being the cap on the end of the motor was loose. something similar could have happened to your motor overtime. or maybe the brushes wore out in it.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

its possible it just had a faulty battery from the start. i recently got a new flyzone playmate and the motor in it overheated and melted the motor mount on the first flight. the cause of the issue ended up being the cap on the end of the motor was loose. something similar could have happened to your motor overtime. or maybe the brushes wore out in it.
Hi, No it was not the battery, I had used several different batteries, Not sure why it has worn and failed so quickly... I understand a small motor will not last forever but 2 weeks???
Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
diabolic-mind

lol, sorry man i had a type o, i meant to say a faulty motor from the start not battery. but considering you had 2 weeks on the stock motor, and i had 1 flight, then i would say you got lucky. but i suggest just getting a new motor and seeing what happens. if it dies in 2 weeks then you know there is something up with the motor and should look for a new place to get a replacement motor. i do not own a suhkoi so i really cant tell you for ure, but i do own a few micro rc planes and to me it seems like you just had a bad run and got a plane with a junk motor in it. they change pats and whatnot in these planes with no obligation to tell us about the changes. for example i bought my first flyzone playmate almost 3 months ago now, it flies like a dream, i havent had any electronics problems with it. i recently bought another playmate withing the last 2 weeks and the motor died the first flight. i opened it up and found that not only was it using a diferent motor, but the entire esc/reciever was completely different from the original. the manufaturer and dealer dont have to tell us about these changes, so its possible that either a change in motors being used was made, or you just simply got a motor with a defect that wasnt detected at the factory. either way im sure that you can get a replacment for free from the company. 90% of these companies are very good at keeping customers happy. hobby king being the exception here. good luck with your new suhkoi, i really wish i had one :P!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
mwallin85

hmm that is interesting, not sure if i am having the same problem or not. But today I was out flying my SU-26xp and on the 2nd battery after prolly 5 mins the motor just stopped, I didnt think much of it since I charged the batteries a few days ago so I put another one in and it did the same thing again after maybe 3-4 mins. I thought it was kinda weird but didnt think much of it still till I read this. I bought mine when they very first came out and I prolly have 40 flights on it with no crashes or nose hard landings. I will have to mess around with it some more today and see what it does.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
diabolic-mind

not to sound like your mom or something, but are you guys allowing the proper amount of time for the motors to cool down before flying? its good to allow atleast 5 to 10 minutes for cool down between flights. what i generally do is after flying one plane i will fly another and let the first one cool down, also allowing the lipo to cool down before charging it. regardless of weather or not you feel a diference in tempature it does heat up the lipos, motors, and esc's. so for future reference even if you really, really want to fly it, find something to do for about 10 minutes to allow it to cool off.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
mwallin85

i'm sure thats not the problem in atleast my case, I have more than one micro and 9 lipos so each plane and battery has plenty of time to cool.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
diabolic-mind

well i was just putting that info out there, it does make a difference if long term performance when you let things cool down. the problem is that alot of people with the micros dont think that the smaller scale planes are not effected by heat which is a huge understatement. as much as it kills me to wai for them to cool down i find something to do to wait. usually just taking pictures of ducks or birds is sufficent. speaking of ducks, i was at the lake the other day and my girlfriend was hand feeding some of the regular ducks there, i was drinking a molson and just randomly held the beer up in the air and said outloud, want a cold one? the male duck cocked his head towards me almost instantly as if he was interested in the offer. i tried several times to repeat the situation with him to get it on film but with no luck. i gotta say it was one of those random moments that probbly would have won me a t shirt from americas funniest home videos!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

They do mention to let the motor cool off between runs. Did you do that?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
diabolic-mind

yeah i know that wheelnut, which is why i allow a cool down period. good thing i have several planes!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

They do mention to let the motor cool off between runs. Did you do that?
Hey, well to be completely honest... I have 4 batteries and I just flew one after the other... so there was no real cool down period at all..

I guess I stuffed my own motor then?? I can accept that...

Guess I'll just buy another one, I loved the plane until the motor died!!

Thanks for all the feedback..

EDIT... Just bought a 2nd one... I'll fly it more sparingly... ha ha...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: mwallin85

hmm that is interesting, not sure if i am having the same problem or not. But today I was out flying my SU-26xp and on the 2nd battery after prolly 5 mins the motor just stopped, I didnt think much of it since I charged the batteries a few days ago so I put another one in and it did the same thing again after maybe 3-4 mins. I thought it was kinda weird but didnt think much of it still till I read this. I bought mine when they very first came out and I prolly have 40 flights on it with no crashes or nose hard landings. I will have to mess around with it some more today and see what it does.
The last 4 days of flying I was just spending the entire flight at full power practicsing knife edge flight and attempting (and failing) hovering... so I guess this put more strain on the motor?

During thelast day before the failure there were a few times the motor failed to start after changing battery, I would just turn the prop half a rotation and try again and that worked..

Perhaps that was the sign the brushes were severely worn??

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
diabolic-mind

thats possible, i know how this addiction works rob, its hard to fight that urge to fly lol. but letting things cool down before flights is always a good thing. i myself have 7 lipos for my 2 playmates and 4 lipos for my mustang, as hard as it is sometimes to go from one lipo to the other i know the conswquences can be bad and fly something else. i also have a few cheap 2 channel planes i fly just for the sake of not toasting anything.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM
wpotter6

The warranty on these planes is 12 months, so I would send it back to HH and have them fix it. I have a SU-26M that I bought in January and it has been replaced twice and repaired once under warranty. It still has issue with sticking aileron servo. I have not been on this forum in a while, but noticed the motor issue with the new SU-26XP, so I guess I will not be getting one of those.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:12 PM
agnoght

I also have had the motor failure problem.  I've already changed the motor out once and the second motor is starting to make the same noise and failing after a few minutes of flight time.  My son has the same motor as the SU-26xp in his micro P-51 and we have never had to change it and he's had the plane much longer than I have had the Su-26xp.  I think the problem might be two things.  The first is that the P-51 has a smaller battery, which probably due to internal resistance of the smaller battery can't deliver the amps that the larger stock Su-26xp can.  The other issue is he's doesn't fly IMAC or 3D like the SU-26xp.  I think the core less motor doesn't have the bearing system to handle the non-axial thrust placed on it while tumbling.  Basically I think until Parkzone, improves their engine design.  Replacing motors unfortunately will be a cost associated with flying this fun plane.  What I have noticed is when my motor fails it makes a loud squeaking sound.  I think this is because the motor bearings in this motor are just cheap and when the coreless shaft gets out of alignment that's the sound you get.  Hopefully the UMX beast will be the fix to the SU-26xp.  I just wish Parkzone built a better motor for the Su-26xp.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
aronph

are you hearing this stuff PARKZONE?-its a good thing parkzone doesnt make stuff thats regulated by a governing agency
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Saburo Sakai

Sounds like you rode her hard and put her in the barn wet. Grab another horse, Paul Revere, and fly!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

From what I can tell, if you got 70 flights on the motor you were on borrowed time. I had a conversation with HH this morning about my micro 4 Site. The motor has gotten too weak to fly the plane after about 40 flights. The tech's reaction is that that's a pretty good service life. The tiny brushes on these motors simply can't take the heat and amps that flying puts on them. I'd say it's a design flaw, but then again I'm not the engineer working on it.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
7f_RC

The motors are made cheap and powerful. In my experience (about 200 flights with my su-26 as of now) the motors wear out after about 20 hours they are guaranteed to fail. Fortunately they hardly cost anything. I may look around to see if there is anything comparable and better...