RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   UM Corsair problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/10591580-um-corsair-problem.html)

acdii 06-25-2011 07:14 AM

UM Corsair problem

Took my new Corsair out for the first time and a bit disappointed in it. It wouldnt climb, it seems really underpowered compared to the T-28. Right from launch I can climb at least at a 45* angle with the t-28, but with the corsair, it seems as Iget the nose 10* up and it slows down and stalls. Iwound up cracking a wing nearly off because I couldnt get any altitude to trim it out, and it needed trimming, Very unstable at the slow speed it was going.

Itook the battery that I used in the Corsair, the one it came with, which was fully charged, and put it in the T-28 to see if it may be the battery, but Iflew for nearly 10 minutes with it in the T-18. Unfortuntaly I lost orientation after launching it the last flight and the breeze was kicking up, so it went upside down, or right side up, couldnt tell, it was too close to the ground and did a nose crunch. Plane is fine, but the end broke off the battery and fried it. Amazing how fat they get when shorted out.

So why would the Corsair be so slow? For about a minute, Ihad it flying, but took everything I had just to keep it in the sky, and never more than 10 feet off the ground, I was trying to trim it out , but it was too squirrely, even at the low rate I have it at. Needed up trim, and trying to keep it from stalling while trimming, with a slight breeze, was not fun at all, with the wind it was picking up speed, but geting too far away from me, when Ibrought it around into the wind it really slowed down, whcih made it worse. It was also rolling to the left, so combined with the down pitch and left roll it was a bugger, and it just was sooo slow too. Ticked off at the cracked wing though, it didnt go down hard, but hit the grass just right to cartwheel and crack it.

OTOH my T-28 looks like it went through WWII, it is dented, cracked, the nose is mushed, the prop shaft is bent, has packing tape all over it, the paint is gone in some places, but she still flies great. Icouldnt tell how many times it kissed the ground nose first, but still goes right back up. Great little plane. Ipretty much fly that one with one finger carressing the right stick, doesnt take much at all to bank and climb.

This morning was really calm, about 3 mph breeze, but humid, and I tend to sweat real easy, so sweat was getting in my eyes, which has caused me a few instances of oops, but when Iactually bring it down intentionally, the landings are very nice and soft. Itook the gear off since I'm landing in grass, so the are all belly landings. Idid land the Corsair once very nicely, after about 15 seconds in the air so I could try to make adjustments, and it landed nice and soft too, but it has more tip stall I see than the T-28.

warhawk demon 06-27-2011 05:52 PM

RE: UM Corsair problem

i dont like the corsair either.. mine had more power than yours but not powerful enough.. it is very quirky and pitch sencetive.. i dont even fly mine anymore just makes me mad.. if you want power buy the sokoi. you will love it.. it is also very tough. flies great

acdii 06-28-2011 05:29 AM

Ijust read a blog on the HH Corsair, and wish Idid before Igot one, never would have. Iordered a new wing, and will just have it as a static display, no sense trying to fly something that wont. Maybe some day a brushless setup with be able to move this plane at a decent enough clip to make it fly right, but with the current setup, it cant even get out of its own way.

Saburo Sakai 06-29-2011 12:10 PM

acdii, your report had me in tearshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...msn/crying.gif. Man! If it has the same motor as the T-28 (think it does) this makes no sense.
I feel your pain.......and thank you for taking the "hit" so I don't have to till they power this baby up more. Your report is the kind of stuff that will hopefully get Horizon's attention, and they'll probablyact on it 'cause they don't want a loser bird with all that history of Victory in battle behind her. You have done a service for America, when you look at it that way. So you are patriot, and I-and hopefully PZ-thank you for the heads-up!
And that T-28 is a sweet bird!
Godspeed!
Crash them hard: thanks for the note on the Sukhoi. Good call.

acdii 06-30-2011 07:45 AM

Iwill photgraph my broken bird before the replacement wing arrives, and post it for posterity, or my posterier, whichever makes one cry more.

acdii 07-02-2011 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, had my Gorilla glue out to put a transport case together for my T-34, so decided to glue the wing back together. It's sitting still curing at the moment, glue is oozing out of the wing, which means I got just enough on it. Hopfully it stays put so it maintains its symmetry.

Saburo Sakai 07-02-2011 11:24 AM

Looks solid. Hope she flies well. To hopefully ease your pain from the underpowered situation with the Micro Corsair, I have awarded you Five (5) stars for your noble, but painful report. We here appreciate honesty, a helping hand and that occasional warning.
Good on you, acdii!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif
Note: I'm sure you'd rather have a new, more powerful bird but, alas, this is the best I can do at the present time.
Godspeed!

warhawk demon 07-04-2011 04:22 PM

ok so i got mine out today and got to looking at it.. it has the same motor as the sokhoi.. so i put the replacement prop that i had for my sokhoi on the corsair.. MADE A GOOD IMPROVMENT ON POWER!!!!!!! still no power house but definatly made it worth flying.. i did notice it prefers no wind and full throttle is a must for the whole flight for fun so flights are short. the champ has the same prop as the sokhoi if you got one of them laying around. give it a try you wont be sorry!!!!!

acdii 07-13-2011 05:59 AM

I wonder how the t-28 prop will work, I need to get a spare one anyway.