RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Hobbyzone Champ vs. Hobby Lobby Micro Stik (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/11068871-hobbyzone-champ-vs-hobby-lobby-micro-stik.html)

t280708 05-04-2012 06:22 PM

Hobbyzone Champ vs. Hobby Lobby Micro Stik

<div>I am an intermediate pilot looking for a small, slow backyard flyer just for fun. Ailerons would be awesome, but to my knowledge, nothing fits that bill. So while they are definitely very different planes, i'm currently looking at the Champ or the Micro Stik.</div><div></div><div>What I currently see as Pros/Cons</div><div></div><div>Champ - Pros - BNF, I can use my DX7s transmitter with it, and just not use the given transmitter, or keep it around for just the champ, it actually looks pretty decent. Also, I believe it can handle a small amount of wind, so it wouldn't have to be dead calm.</div><div>Cons- Not sure if it can fly slow enough to be fun in a small outdoor area (this plane is so I can just walk out the back door and fly, not have to go to the park, where i'd most likely fly something bigger).</div><div></div><div>Micro Stik - Pros - Looks like it can fly nice, slow, and be very relaxing, while also having enough oomph to be fun if i'm feeling aggressive or have more space.</div><div>[B]Cons[\B] - isn't DSM2/DSMX compatible, so i'd have to use their transmitter, which looks more like a toy (i'm not even sure if it has trims). Also, the Stik may not hold up to slight winds.</div><div></div><div>I also considered the Ember 2, but it looks like it has almost 2 much dihedral, and might not be as zippy/fun to fly as the Stik.</div><div></div>Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Chucksolo69 05-18-2012 08:30 AM

RE: Hobbyzone Champ vs. Hobby Lobby Micro Stik

I can't comment on the Micro Stick, but I have the Champ and love it. I have flown it in a large ball field early in the AM with no wind. It is a blast to fly and very stable in a no wind environment. Previously I had virtually no  experience flying an RC plane although I have been flying RC helicopters for years (also into RC cars/trucks). I did however spend about 2 hours each evening practicing on Real Flight 6 simulator for about 2 weeks prior to purchasing my Champ. Anyway, I highly recommend the Champ to a newbie (like me) who has virtually no real world experience flying RC aircraft. I also have a Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos which I flew successfully the first time out with NO sim practice at all. IMHO, the FB Stratos is actually better than the Champ to start out on; the only drawback is, for the FB Stratos, you need a lot more space to fly in than what the Champ requires. Either one is a great plane and neither will dent your wallet much.</p>

Chucksolo69 05-21-2012 08:28 AM

Flew my Champ again yesterday for a total of 10 flights now. I have not done any damage to her at all. I can take off from the ground and keep her flying through a full battery everytime. I currenlty fly my Champ using my DX5e TX and yesterday, I took the TX off "Lo" rate and flew the Champ on "Hi" rate. What a difference!! There was a slight breeze blowing and flying her on "Hi" rate made all the difference; I didn't have to fight the breeze as much. I am sold on this airplane. I get more confident everytime I fly my Champ now. What an amazing little plane.

JSS4 05-22-2012 03:23 AM

I say get the Champ. I have had a ball with mine before hangar rash killed it.

Indy Park Flyer 05-22-2012 11:24 AM

I have the champ and it is a great backyard, school yard flier, durable and easy to repair if needed. If you want something with Ailerons, you might try the Parkzone T-28, just a little faster than the Champ, but comes with Ailerons and is BNF.
IndyPark Flyer

rc airplane nut 05-31-2012 02:54 PM

The Champ is great! I love mine! But, IMHO, the Vapor is more fun in the backyard.

JSS4 05-31-2012 04:49 PM

rc airplane nut is right.  A Vapor is MUCH slower than a champ and can fly almost anywhere

jonnynoz 07-09-2012 06:12 PM

i say a champ igot one today and flew thru 13 batteries in on da y it was pretty fun. p.s. never flown before this.:D

Chucksolo69 07-10-2012 07:19 AM

Once you master the Champ, try out the Hobbyzone Super Cub or the Ares Gamma 370. Both fly like a much larger Champ. Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos is a great second plane too.

JSS4 07-11-2012 03:12 AM

Another is the UM T28 or spitfire if you want to stay micro.