RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Mini IFO questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/201388-mini-ifo-questions.html)

KCFlyBoy 07-19-2002 09:36 PM

Mini IFO questions

I have been flying mine in my basement and the back yard. It has about a 24'' span I'm running a GWS motor, GWS receiver and 8 cell nmh pack. I coverd it with emergency blanket mylar and using 2 JR 241 sub micro servos. It has been a blast to fly. Has any one had trouble burning up speed controllers? I have toasted a 2 amp and a 5 amp. I will probably replace them with a 15 amp if I can get one that is very light and inexpensive :cool: .

madsci_guy 08-21-2002 05:32 PM

Burnt controllers motors

A 2 amp controller may burn out since the GWS-A motor pulls close to that on 8 cells. Also, make sure that the prop is sized for the gear ratio of the motor. An oversize prop will make the motor pull a lot of extra current.

A 5 amp controller should work with no problem. What brand is it? I've had good results from GWS, Jamara, and Jeti controllers.

If you are going to be doing a lot of electrics, I recommend getting a wattmeter from Astroflight or a similar one. That will tell you if the problem is too many amps for the controller, or if the controller's a faulty one.

Good luck!

KCFlyBoy 08-21-2002 05:38 PM

Mini IFO questions

Thanks I don't know what happened but both are working.

jmulder 08-23-2002 07:40 PM

Mini IFO questions

Im getting ready to order one now. I have a Pico stik motor and pico servos and a 2 amp speed control. Will that be ok to use? What size batteries & prop should I use in order not to burn up my speed control?..........John

KCFlyBoy 08-23-2002 11:12 PM

Mini IFO questions

John it turns out I did not burn it up and I can't put my finger on the problem. All I know it works with both the 2 amp and the 5 amp controller fine now. I have used from a 6 cell 50ma nicad, 6 cell 220ma nicad, and my favorite the 8 cell 320ma nmh. The run time is similar between the three but the 8 cell nmh hover the longest. I have tried several sizes of props the best one seams to be the GWS 1047 but the 1147 also works well with the next bigger gear ratio. I suggest if you are going to run it at full throttle for long periods use a heat sink on the motor. I love these little planes. I framed up two for my boys and they decided to wait to fly them until this fall. They are focusing on glow right now. So I sold the ones I had framed up and told them I would build more this fall. They where ok with that and I made a little profit.

jmulder 08-23-2002 11:29 PM

Mini IFO questions

Cbalts, Sending you an email right now.............

flyinrog 09-04-2002 11:44 PM

question about IFO

I have a GWS 4 channel and pico stick set up... I'm thinking about the mini IFO due to time and space limitations.... basically need to fly in my front yard,,,, do I have to have elevon mixing (cause I dont) and why? are the elevators not connected , I cant justify another radio at this point... anybody got any answers...thank you ... Rog

KCFlyBoy 09-05-2002 01:14 AM

Mini IFO questions

The evevons ar not connected because it is setup for elevons only. There is no rudder on a mini. It will fly great in your front yard I do all the time in the morning and late at night when it is mostly calm. It will not fly in winds much over 5 mph. I understand your plight I had three radios but non had elevon mixing. I bought two elevon mixers for about $39.00 each. I could sell you one for $20.00. I love these planes I am building two more for my sons. We fly in a gym not to far from our home with a bunch of other indoor flyers.

KidVermin 09-05-2002 02:25 AM

Mini IFO questions

cbaltz:

Our season is going to start the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in October.
I'll try to keep you posted. Same time 6 to 9 pm.

John: I like using the 8 cell AAA 720 mah NiMH cells from WalMart.
A four pack cost $11.00 Then about 30 min. to solder up a pack of
eight.

Randy

KCFlyBoy 09-05-2002 02:31 AM

Mini IFO questions

Thanks Randy are you the one who is setting up the dates?

jmulder 09-05-2002 02:36 AM

Mini IFO questions

You can get those at walmart????????......Dawg on.....

jmulder 09-05-2002 02:38 AM

Mini IFO questions

Cbaltz, I'll be sending you a package by the end of this week..........John

KCFlyBoy 09-05-2002 02:39 AM

Mini IFO questions

I am on my way to Walmart!!

KCFlyBoy 09-05-2002 02:42 AM

Mini IFO questions

Cool I'll be sending you a package back soon after that. I have to see if my neighbor is healed up enough to go back to work yet.

jmulder 09-05-2002 02:42 AM

Mini IFO questions

Hey,,,,Ya'll tell me somthin.......My GWS receiver on my IFO is going nutz about every 15 seconds....What could cause this? It will be flyin fine and then all of a sudden it starts to dance....Its kinda comical....................John

jmulder 09-05-2002 02:43 AM

Mini IFO questions

Take your time. No hurry.........John

KCFlyBoy 09-05-2002 02:51 AM

Mini IFO questions

I had the same thing I watched it and the antenna connection it was rubbing on one of the little other resisters or other "technical term" (electronic thingies) I taped around the antenna and made sure it came out straight and the problem has gone away.

jmulder 09-09-2002 05:47 PM

Mini IFO questions

That helped but it still did it a couple of times. Its good enough to fly though................John

KCFlyBoy 09-09-2002 07:17 PM

Mini IFO questions

I don't think these are very sold receivers but when your plane weighs around 10 oz you are not going to hurt much.

KidVermin 09-10-2002 03:01 AM

Mini IFO questions

John:

If you haven't done it already, you need to tape the Rx crystal
down since they don't seem to have a real snug fit. This has
caused hits for me in the past until I taped it.

Randy

jmulder 09-10-2002 06:28 PM

Mini IFO questions

Yeah, I already had it taped. It was loose from the begining. I did a really cool looking cartwheel with it the other day. If I could have got it to take back off while it was still rolling that woulda been cool. I did away with my landing gear. I just toss it and catch it when im done..................John

KCFlyBoy 09-10-2002 07:07 PM

Mini IFO questions

We play catch in the basement quite a bit. My sons love it. I have one fly and the other catches.

jmulder 09-16-2002 06:03 PM

Mini IFO questions

You ever seen a motor just cut off by itself and then in a few seconds after pulling back to idle on the radio it will cut back on?.......This is confusing me, could it be the motor going bad?..............John

KCFlyBoy 09-16-2002 07:53 PM

Mini IFO questions

Yes it is mine does that when the voltage drops down around 4.8 to 5.0 volts. Its ready to be recharged.