RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Wattage Micro Flyer RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/2124374-wattage-micro-flyer-rtf.html)

Greg Covey 08-27-2004 02:03 PM

Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I received one the new Wattage Micro Flyers from Hobby People and was immediately impressed with the degree of integration in this Ready-To-Fly (RTF) package. The Micro Flyer is a very small indoor or outdoor radio controlled (49MHz) flying plane that is powered by a small electric motor and a rechargeable 150mAh Lithium battery.

The design is perhaps the world's first mass-produced RTF micro-flyer at an all-up weight of only 31 grams (about an ounce). The Micro Flyer's direction is controlled by a magnetic actuator mounted in the rudder.

Even the box design was well thought out. It acts as a carrying case to store your Micro Flyer when finished. Instructions are on the back of the box as well as in a seperate 4 page manual inside. Everything is included for flight except six AA Alkaline batteries for the hand-held transmitter/charger.

Greg Covey 08-27-2004 02:11 PM

RE: Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the plane specifications:
[ul][*] Wingspan: 9"[*] Length: 8.25"[*] Weight RTF: 1oz[*] Airfoil: Elliptically curved polyhedral[*] Functions: Right/Center/Left rudder, Motor On/Off[*] Duration: 6 minutes or more[*] Battery: One 150mAh Lithium cell (included)[*] Age Group: 10 years and older :)
[/ul]

homer23 08-27-2004 02:56 PM

Did you fly it yet?

champion 08-27-2004 04:09 PM

could you make a video of it I really want to see it fly

thanks

Greg Covey 08-28-2004 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Homer and Champion,

Not yet but I plan to fly it soon and video it.

Here you can see the press in landing gear and actuator for the rudder.

GWR 08-29-2004 09:50 AM

Som how did you get one? Every time I went to Hobby People I either can't find it or when I do, it's not available yet. Gary

Greg Covey 08-30-2004 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They send the review planes out first. They should have them in stock for general sale soon.

The hand-held transmitter is also a Lithium cell charger. It has instructions on the back so you don't need to remember to bring the manual to the flying area. The single cell 150mAh pack plugs into the back of the transmitter for charging.

The side switch has three positions for Off/Charge/Tx. On. The three buttons are for left, right, and motor on.

EVOL 08-30-2004 11:32 PM

have you flown it yet? the LHS has 6 on order and i might reserve one if it is worth it. let me know how it flys. the main things im wondering is:

will it take off from the ground?

how big of an area do you need?

does it climb with motor on or stay level?

jimbosstuff1 08-31-2004 06:52 PM

Whats Up?????I ordered two-two weeks ago, when I first saw the add- and HP replied-that they would not be avilable for a few weeks.....We know what that is.....so every- one order the little guy and when they have 10K confirmed, they will be shipped out...???? I know mister negitive man....I want things right now, however in the real world....Thanks to Hobby People for bring to us the funest-newest things that fly. E-Jim

Greg Covey 09-04-2004 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Micro Flyer was a big hit at a local club this weekend. We gave it a good testing and it flew its little heart out!

Greg Covey 09-04-2004 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It seemed to handle a slight breeze without a problem but was much easier to control when the wind was completely gone. It took a bit of learning to master the three button control system but worked quite well after a while.

We tried to ROG on the only thing available to us at the field (my trailer) but the Micro Flyer hit a lip at the edge of the top and fell over the side. We had a good laugh! :)

GWR 09-04-2004 11:21 AM

Of coarse it flew good "right off the board" for you. Your a reviewer and you get it for nothing or cost. If you didn't say it was the greatest thing going they'd cut you off and not let you get any more free stuff to write about. Everybody that's ever seen an RCM or MAN magazine should know that. GWR

Greg Covey 09-04-2004 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GWR,

I'm not sure what you are implying. Can you explain further?

Instead of just offering my findings and opinion, I back up my findings with untouched photography and video. This is a unique benefit of an on-line magazine like RC Universe.

Just what about these photos do you not believe?

t1mux 09-04-2004 06:27 PM

We can't wait to see video!

hobbydawg 09-04-2004 08:53 PM

all I want to know is how fast dose it fly

EVOL 09-04-2004 10:06 PM

i am also wondering what the flight characteristics are like. it looks like a cool little plane but before i pay $60 (this is the retail price) i want to know if it is worth the money or should i buy a .15 cent foam glider and put a pager motor in it?

the main thing i am wondering is how large of an area do you need to fly it?

thx chris

Greg Covey 09-06-2004 07:05 AM

Chris,

Street price for the Wattage Micro Flyer will be $39.99.

By comparing it to a 15 cent floam glider, we assume that you already have all the rest of your components like servos, receiver, transmitter, etc. By all means then, this little RTF package is not for you as you are not a beginner.

When we flew it outdoors, it wasn't in perfectly calm conditions but it will need an area the size of a full basketball court.

I have been told that it will easily ROG from pavement and my assessment of the power level would confirm that. I hope to take a second video this week at work from the parking lot if we can get a calm day.

Mike Taylor 09-06-2004 06:59 PM

I just talked with the HP manager downtown. The planes are here, but are stuck in customs. They are expected to be released tomorrow (Tuesday), arrive in the Fontana Warehouse and be FedEx'd to the stores where they should be available and on the shelves by Thursday or perhaps late Wednsday...

Greg Covey 09-07-2004 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

Thanks for the update.

Here are some other photos of the Micro Flyer.

I'll post the video later this week. I also want to try an ROG in the parking lot so I may have a second video also.

cowboystudd 09-12-2004 02:01 PM

It's Later this week, lets see the video! I just ordered one and I'm very eager to see it fly!

svo 09-12-2004 07:46 PM

What kind of flight times are you getting out of it per charge?

Greg Covey 09-14-2004 02:59 PM

Ahh, how time flies with multiple jobs and school in session. :)

The flight times are about 5 minutes with the stock 150mAh cell.

I neglected to report that portions of the video were lost along with my NTA biplane video in the Foamies forum. I intend to re-video the Micro Flyer but will be traveling to the NEAT Fair on Thursday.

Here is a temporary video that I salvaged so you can get an idea on the flight speed.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/RCU2/MicroFlyer1.wmv]Hi-res video[/link] (4meg)

ElectricFlyer_17 09-14-2004 04:21 PM

Thanks for the video Greg!
:D

cowboystudd 09-14-2004 08:58 PM

Thanks Man Your Awesome!

grahamhackett 09-14-2004 11:56 PM

Hey guys!
When I click on the video it says "Bad Request (Invalid URL)". Can anyone help? I got all excited when I saw the posting, then all bummed out when I couldn't view it[&o]. I reserved one at my LHS. Should be in Wed. or Thurs. I'm psyched. I have a Lightning and I love it, maybe even more than my 3 ch. The smaller these things get, the more I'll buy!:D