RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Air Hogs Aero Ace! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/3368184-air-hogs-aero-ace.html)

BackyardFlyer 01-03-2006 04:01 PM

RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

ya i also checked walmart, 2 targets and a toys r us and also no luck here in Palm beach florida. TRU said they were getting a shipment friday and said 2 call back saturday so that may be my only chance to get one.

Thx for the info though.[8D]

BackyardFlyer 01-03-2006 04:32 PM

it stinks i might not be able to get an AA till febuary![:o] also i wonder what the mods for ith r? Well my only hope is if TRU gets a shipment of them Friday.

Steve_O 01-03-2006 07:04 PM

Well, I found out that the AA doesn't do well in even the slightest breeze. It also was doing something wierd. It would be flying ok and then just do a quick sharp downward spiral. Anyone else have this problem?

Tommyr 01-03-2006 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve_O

Well, I found out that the AA doesn't do well in even the slightest breeze. It also was doing something wierd. It would be flying ok and then just do a quick sharp downward spiral. Anyone else have this problem?

Well it's so light that it isn't meant for breezes and unless a motor is pooping out (technical term!) the downward spiral maybe a sign that the plane hit a pocket of wind. Air moves differently at various altitudes, even at low altitudes. What can seem calm at 8 feet could be a bit breezy at 20. There could also be small pockets of air or vortexes that cause this behavour.

Tom

casual 01-03-2006 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: gfl

I've been checking the stores mentioned in the Baltimore area (TRU, Target and Walmart) for the AA and have found nothing. I went to the manager at TRU and asked when they expected to get the AA back in stock. I was told that Spinmaster had sent them notification that they would be discontinuing the AA. I called Spinmaster and spoke to a rep. She said that the AA was only available in the US at TRU. She also said that Spinmaster had temporarily discontinued the current AA production due to modifications that were being made. I asked about these mods and she did not know specifics other than that it was supposed to be an improvement over the current model. She did say that the new AA would start shipping at the end of February and is supposed to be the same price. I also asked about the AA jet that was posted earlier. She said that was due out late spring, early summer. Anybody heard anything else?
Huh? She doesn't seem very knowledgable then--I just picked mine up tonight at Target, after scouring two cities looking for one!

By the way, hello, everyone--my first post, hurrah! I've read almost every post on the AA, and it seems like it's gonna be a ton of fun, can't wait to get it flying...and modded!...and torn apart!...

Well, maybe not the last part for a while! ;)

Tommyr 01-03-2006 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: casual

By the way, hello, everyone--my first post, hurrah! I've read almost every post on the AA, and it seems like it's gonna be a ton of fun, can't wait to get it flying...and modded!...and torn apart!...

Well, maybe not the last part for a while! ;)

Welcome! You're going to LOVE the Aero Ace! Such a fun little plane and a GREAT value IMHO.

I am the Chuck Yeager of my neighborhood!

Tom

BackyardFlyer 01-03-2006 08:08 PM

What!?!?!?! I checked 2 targets a TRU, twice, And a walmart and they barley had any air hogs stuff.I must have reely bad luck lol....
Oh well ill just keep checking[8D]

micro_builder 01-03-2006 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you'd be surprised at how differant the stock of products varies from one state to another. i bought the X-Twin in early august, and stores started carrying the AA a month or two later. here in minnesota though, we didnt get any till almost a month later than everyone else. waiting would've killed me :D the jet looks pretty interesting though, and it'll be interesting to see what modifications they'll have done. i hope they fixed the "no throttle-no steering" issue, and hopefully they'll be selling those replacement props too.

anyway, this is the newest plane i've made with the electronics. its a profile version of the Grokhovsky G-38 Light Cruiser. 10" wingspan, 3" chord at the root, 1/32" balsa, .020" CF reinforcement, AUW of just over 11 grams. it could be lighter, but i'm using a slightly larger, 160mah cell. it took a couple test flights (crashes) to get the CG right, but its now flying quite nicely. if i put the CG back a bit, i can almost get perfect 180 degree stall turns, looks cool.

nick

schuh007 01-03-2006 10:11 PM

I've tryed and failed many small EP balsas, so I was hoping some kind person could post some plans/specs later

BackyardFlyer 01-04-2006 10:17 AM

Has any1 tried the plantraco butterfly??

gfl 01-04-2006 11:35 AM

Big Milo - How many lights did you use? Exactly where on the AA and with what did you attach the lights? Did I read it right - THILL or Lucky Jack Lights? About how long do the lights / batteries last before needing to be replaced?

Tommyr 01-04-2006 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BackyardFlyer

Has any1 tried the plantraco butterfly??
I'd like to but it's a bit much in price. I can afford it but I can't logically blow that type of cash right now. Nice outfit though.

Tom

Big Milo 01-04-2006 04:31 PM

I think 4 lights was the most I used at one time. I mounted them in various places, CG, wingtips, nose, etc. The lights are advertised to last for about 20 hours of continuous use. I use them for lighted nocks in my hunting arrows, too. I still haven't burned one up.
You read it right, Thill or Lucky Jack with the bobbers in the fishing section.

ORIGINAL: gfl

Big Milo - How many lights did you use? Exactly where on the AA and with what did you attach the lights? Did I read it right - THILL or Lucky Jack Lights? About how long do the lights / batteries last before needing to be replaced?

rcflatspin 01-05-2006 08:23 PM

I used 2 ultraviolet led's (one in parallel with each motor) and painted underside of wing with flouresent yelow paint.

Lights up entire plane.

Will try to get a pic posted.

Steve_O 01-05-2006 09:40 PM

Is it normal for the AA to lose altitude whenever you turn? It flies fine straight and it kinda dives when I turn. Is there a way to adjust something to fix this?

schuh007 01-06-2006 09:44 AM

just give it a little more throttle in your turns

mmackin 01-06-2006 03:36 PM

It's really interesting that you guys also talk about the Dragonfly Helicopter in the same threat as the Aero Ace. Because it uses a similar battery type.

Here's a great little trick, if you have one of these and an Aero Ace. The wall charger for your Dragonfly, can actually charge your Aero Ace. It takes a little pressure to get the plug into the plane, but it works great. I actually get really strong charges with it. The little light on the adapter turns off once it done charging.... It takes about the same about of time, as the battery charge. 10-15 mins. Plus your not burning through batteries any more...

Hope you enjoy, I have....

ORIGINAL: meegosh

Yes, it is a helicopter. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

geeks.com has it for $24.99 but it is out of stock. I would suggest waiting for them to get it back in stock and pick one up. Very stable and durable.... first flight with it I hit the throttle, shot up in the air, hit the ceiling, cut the throttle, smacked to the floor. No damage! Can bounce off walls/ceilings/christmas trees and still recover. Definatly would suggest picking one up.

BackyardFlyer 01-06-2006 08:46 PM

Hey guys got my AA today[8D]!!! Cant wait to fly it charging while i speak.

BackyardFlyer 01-06-2006 09:04 PM

i got mine at target . they only had one left. i cant wait to fly it, im gonna see if i can fly it my family room. if not ill fly it in my yard 2morrow morning if its not to windy. well ill let you know how it goes.

[8D]

Steve_O 01-06-2006 09:42 PM

Well, it turns out that the third time is the charm. The second AA wouldn't climb and everyone has been saying how good they climb. I tried every adjustment I could make and nothing would help. Even at full throttle it would just nose up but not climb and as soon as I tried to turn it would dive. I could only get it about 4 or 5 feet off the ground. I took it back in hopes that the third one would work better and what a difference. It's much faster, climbs great, and turns much better. I've heard a lot that there are bad AA's out there with good one's mixed in and finally I got a good one. It's a blast to fly.

Tommyr 01-06-2006 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BackyardFlyer

i got mine at target . they only had one left. i cant wait to fly it, im gonna see if i can fly it my family room. if not ill fly it in my yard 2morrow morning if its not to windy. well ill let you know how it goes.

[8D]

Congrats! Just remember, you *may* have to trim it a little. You're going to have a blast with this thing!

Tom

BackyardFlyer 01-06-2006 10:02 PM

[8D]

BackyardFlyer 01-06-2006 10:04 PM

sorry for repeating accident. BUT this thing flys AMAZING (just in my living room!). Yor right i do need to trim but i cant till 2mmorow. so i cant wait!

BackyardFlyer 01-06-2006 10:53 PM

also does any1 have any ideas for landing gear>

rawlingsdl 01-07-2006 12:26 AM

Ok... I just happened to stumble onto this thread a couple of days ago and got caught up in all the hype about this Aero Ace thing; I even dreamed about how great it would be to own one. So after reading every post, I decided to get me one of these things from the local TRS today during lunch. I have to admit, it was killing me to have it in my office all afternoon after reading how great this plane flys. Hopefully tomorrow will be launch day if the wind isn't blowing...