RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Storm Launcher! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/4433291-storm-launcher.html)

UAV Pilot 09-15-2006 03:26 AM

RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

ORIGINAL: W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

My battery has been charging for 3 and a half hours now, do you guys think there is something wrong?
Should take about two hours to fully charge a drained battery. I have noticed with one of mine, that I was testing using a watt meter, that many hours later the green light was still double flashing. I checked the watt meter and the battery was only at 8.07 volts but there was No current being giving to the battery (it normally reads about 400mah). Not sure why. I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, it charged up the rest of the way normally after that.

W.A.S.P.S-Flyer 09-15-2006 02:37 PM

After 4 hours i gave up and just unpluged it.

ICHItheKILLER 09-19-2006 12:35 AM

just picked up two SL at TRU,but no battery pack.the battery packs sound like they suuuuuck!!! from what you guys are saying

EBasil 09-19-2006 11:59 PM

Still waiting for mine, ordered from Walmart On 7/30 (and the battery pack on 8/2...). Walmart still says it won't ship either until 10/15. Great vid over at RC Groups.

Djstinger 09-21-2006 03:24 PM

Picked up a SL a couple of days ago at TRU , very cool. Can not find batteries any where=(. I was wondering if the battery pack from the xvp thing will work with the SL it is a 7.4v lipo, but only 450mAh

bbarber275 09-21-2006 03:29 PM

Here is info on how to mod SL to work with a regular Lipo

hxxp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5980764&postcount=1256

Djstinger 09-23-2006 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of my SL. I removed the heat shrink from the rx ( about 3 grams ). I got the xpv lipo/charger because I could not find the SL battery any where ( 7.4v 450mAh ). I then went to my LHS and got a 7.4v 1000mAh 20c lipo and some mini dean connectors. The xpv battery fits right into the SL but at only 450 mAh it is under powered, but it does work.I use the xpv charger to charge the 20c also. With the 20c it has some real power behind it. To bad the weather here is horrible. I still need to get it out on its first test run. I have ran it through 2 battery cycles to break in the motors a little.

Hammerhead808 09-24-2006 07:51 AM

Does the storm launcher have a low voltage cut-off?

Seek and Destroy 09-24-2006 10:29 AM

Where would be the best place to buy one of these? I think I want to get one, but the cheapest price I have found for the sl and the bat and charger, is $110 without shipping. The whole 3 channels are fully proportional right? How long will the motors/servos/bats/elctronics last? Will they wear out like on the AA?

makg 09-24-2006 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: rc18t145

Where would be the best place to buy one of these? I think I want to get one, but the cheapest price I have found for the sl and the bat and charger, is $110 without shipping. The whole 3 channels are fully proportional right? How long will the motors/servos/bats/elctronics last? Will they wear out like on the AA?
110 is a good price. Search for coupons for 10%+ off for the store you're buying it at. It is fully pro-po. I don't think they'll wear out as fast as the AA, but, eventually, it will have too.(mine hasn't yet:D)

Seek and Destroy 09-24-2006 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: makg

110 is a good price. Search for coupons for 10%+ off for the store you're buying it at. It is fully pro-po. I don't think they'll wear out as fast as the AA, but, eventually, it will have too.(mine hasn't yet:D)
Would it be possible to get replacement/upgrade electronics?

makg 09-24-2006 04:33 PM

You could always upgrade, to some crazy brushless conversion, but i don't think replacement parts will become available untill someone starts buying huge lots of them and starts parting them out for cash(like Aeroacemods.com is with the AAs)

Seek and Destroy 09-24-2006 05:03 PM

How well does it handle wind? And is it easy to fly. I had an aerobird extreme and that thing never flew right. Actually its longest flight was 4 seconds. Can it handl 10mph wind? Is the runtime only 7 minutes or so?

makg 09-24-2006 05:23 PM

Well, it doesn't like wind all that much. It'll get tossed around pretty good. Once you get the hang of it, sure, it's easy to fly, but it's no Aero Ace. I suggest you to just drive it on the ground and water(or ice;)) and then to take short hops with it before you really get flying. I like to high-alpha mine because it goes really slow and is super fun.

Seek and Destroy 09-24-2006 05:50 PM

I am still debating wether or not to get this. Being able to fly in wind is one of the main parts I want. I might just get a easystar or something then.

zeroseven 09-25-2006 02:58 PM

they updated their website

[link]http://www.stormlauncher.com[/link]

Seek and Destroy 09-25-2006 03:40 PM

How come on the shipping, it says "Usually ships in 4-6 weeks"? I would get it, but I can't wait that long. I was going to get that complete set thing that came with a bunch of different stuff.

W.A.S.P.S-Flyer 09-25-2006 06:40 PM

mine isnt FULLY porportional. its stepped like the aero ace throttle. But it still is awsome!

frank10 09-25-2006 07:51 PM

the local TRU has one in stock, but no battery. I was suprised how big the box was.

frank10 09-25-2006 07:52 PM

walmart has it for 70+30 wihtout shipping

just get ready to wait and wait

Djstinger 09-26-2006 07:54 AM

Frank, where in OH ?

sama 09-26-2006 07:26 PM

How can I get a Storm Launcher be for christmas? I live in australia.

frank10 09-26-2006 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Djstinger

Frank, where in OH ?
parma

makg 09-29-2006 10:33 PM

Well, I just took my SL out on the snow. Yup, it has already started to snow here [8D] but it is really wet snow and it slides good, but it would HAUL if the snow was dry or packed down ;)

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 09-30-2006 12:33 AM

I think I got my answer earlier, but how does the sl fly? can it take asphalt on a regular basis? A 20 inch craft with no conventional wings makes me wonder about stability. I have, however, seen the vid's of the flying lawnmower. It also has no conventional wings. Tim