RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Mini storm launcher (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/5437880-mini-storm-launcher.html)

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-18-2007 06:11 PM

Mini storm launcher

Hi All, I picked up 2 Mini storm launchers at Target. I thought I would open the thread. First question, I'm having trouble getting mine to charge. Anyone else having this problem?

ICHItheKILLER 02-18-2007 10:32 PM

RE: Mini storm launcher

I just got one also. I charged it for 45 min. like instructions say, but there is no charging light that goes on.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-18-2007 11:38 PM

Ichi, jiggled the wires and got it to charge. Different electronics than the silverlit stuff. I also found a power and ground that were installed and cut off[8D]. Flight report as soon as possible. Tim

UAV Pilot 02-19-2007 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometime you have to jiggle the wire or turn it on and off a few times to get the light to come on.

>[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6590306&postcount=7]here[/link]< is a post about the mini and it mentions the extra wires that go directly to the battery. You can attach a regular charge plug to those wires and charge it from a regular charger if you have one.

It is a single cell 300 mAh Lipo by the way, so you will have to have a charger that can charge a single cell at that rate or lower.

Neurotex 02-19-2007 09:19 AM

Here's some info on the mini from rcgroups.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619236]mini storm launcher[/link]

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-19-2007 09:34 AM

Thanks, UAV and Neuro. I just bought some jst connectors for the cox p-51, and bought spares. I'll get that triton jr to pay for itself in no time. :):)
Tim

googledperson 02-19-2007 02:35 PM

well i was up in Berkshire Mass and in a target there they had 2 havocs 4 AJs 3 Jets and a tag for the mini SL set at 40$ with a silver sticker by it which i think means that there is no more in inventory.

birchbaybill 02-19-2007 07:30 PM

Well okay. Has someone flown one of these bad boys? Is it worth $80? My experience is that anything advertised on TV is bad news.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-19-2007 07:49 PM

GP, the silver or gray sticker means out of stock(I asked).

BBB I got a little flight out of mine but I don't think I had a full charge. There a couple of guys at RCG that have had their's longer and they have flown them. Also these are the 2 channel mini storm launchers. They retail for $40. The $80. version is 3 channel, requires a separate battery and charger. And many people have flown them. Check the storm launcher thread. Just a thought, The $30. for the battery and charger is not that excessive. An inexpensive lipo charger and a 2s250mah battery would be at least $40. plus shipping. Also tru is having a 25% off sale online, so battery and charger and the Plane would be about $80. Tempting, but I have bought 4 planes in less than 7 days.

I also have not yet solved the charging dilemma. Tim

UAV Pilot 02-19-2007 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: birchbaybill

Well okay. Has someone flown one of these bad boys? Is it worth $80? My experience is that anything advertised on TV is bad news.
You must be talking about the full size Storm Launcher (battery NOT included). The Mini Storm Launcher is only $40 (battery included)and there is not a commercial for those.

If you would like to know more about the Storm Launcher then you would ever what to know, I did a search for you on RCgroups on the many many threads about it here. >[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9253224&pp=25]Storm Launcher Search[/link]<.

Plus here is a forum just for the Storm Launcher here >[link=http://slownerforum.proboards51.com/index.cgi#general]SL Owners Forum[/link]<

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-22-2007 01:02 AM

Ok, I did the same thing as UAV and hardwired a charge port. Hopefully, I'l get a chance to fly it tomorrow. I'm guessing the charge port issue is in the connector from the controller. I cant find any problems in the wiring in the plane. I'll work on the connector next. Tim

Some specs on the msl.
Prop rpm 18,150- full 4.2v charge
length 12"
width 9.5"
prop length 2.25
prop width 3/8"
twist ?
weight 31g
Tim

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-24-2007 12:35 AM

OK, I got some flight time today, highest alt about 100', farthest down range over 500'(that is the given range) at 50'. If I can figure out how to get the stock charger to charge the plane this is a winner. Tim

micro_builder 02-25-2007 06:48 PM

my federal tax returns came yesterday, so i had some money burning a hole in my pocket and mysteriously found myself at TRU. wonder how that happened :eek: they had a ton of stuff, but i figured i'd go with the mini SL.

i gave it a couple flights today, seems well behaved, the motors have some serious thrust, and having two counter rotating props for N20 size motors is a nice bonus. two other nice bonuses is the fact that she turns without steering, and the RX must be quite a bit stronger to handle the bigger motors. those two things right there already have me thinking about conversion ideas. its like an AA with all the right mods done to it already. not bad for 40 dollars, i might just have to put in an order at TRU online to get the discounted price and pick up another!

nick

craig420 02-26-2007 05:31 PM

hjg

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-26-2007 07:44 PM

Micro, did you hard wire a connector or does yours charge without help? I'll probably sticker mine tonight, hopefully that will help balance it.

Tim

micro_builder 02-26-2007 11:18 PM

not yet, my charger is still in a box somewhere...key word is "somewhere":eek: it'll be something i'll do soon though, as my flight times are around 5 minutes so far. the lipo probably needs a bit of a break in, and the cold temps probably didnt help, but i remember UAVpilot mentioning that the TX charger doesnt give a 100% full charge. plus, it eats up more batteries, so the hobby charger will be a nice add on.

i got some more flights in with the mini SL today, i've gotten pretty good at doing rolls. i got a couple flights on video, but they didnt come out so well due to the fact that the flying field is white, the clouds were white, and the mini SL is white - it was invisible most of the time! hopefully we'll get some blue skies soon, and i'll give it another shot. the more i fly the plane, the more i like it (although, getting used to cutting power to make a turn is taking some getting used to, its the opposite of all my other planes!).

nick

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-27-2007 12:40 AM

The pressure was so low today that flying anything was a challenge. I put a deans on an ace and charged it. :D:D:D:D:D I could barely get it to turn, but it would climb like nobodies busuness. I think I'll put a skin on the tail boom and see how it flies. In fat air it may just fly away. Tim

Fiannawolf 02-27-2007 07:38 PM

I just picked up a MSL and like others, I can't seem to get it to charge from the transmitter. Has anyone gotten it to charge? Is there any way I can modify an extra AA transmitter to charge the MSL, it seems fairly similar.

Thanks,
Dan

micro_builder 02-27-2007 08:09 PM

mine seems to charge up just fine with the TX charger. my flight times are still around 5 minutes, so it might not be working as well as i think, but it does charge, never the less.

got some good video in today, some high flying, rolls, close calls, swoops. pretty fun, far more amusing than the AA IMHO :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649380

nick

Fiannawolf 02-27-2007 09:03 PM

Sorry to bug you guys again, but all mine does when I plug it in to the charger is blink a few times then nothing else. Is it still charging? I checked the rechargable AA's in the transmitter and they are fine.

Dan

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-27-2007 11:59 PM

Fianna, I have not figured out what is wrong with the stock charger. What I did initially was to unscrew the controller, the black box, and wiggle the wires. I have since put a deans connector on the plane and 15-20 minute flights became the norm. I said that that was going to be a goal, but I bought a 3 ch p-51 with a 20+" wingspan and that took over. Tim

micro_builder 02-28-2007 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
try using non-rechargeable batteries in the TX, it might just be a lack of voltage. if the LED starts blinking then just stops, it sounds like it just doesnt have the power to keep charging.

well, i knew it wouldnt take long, and it didnt...i gutted the mini SL tonight. it actually comes apart pretty nicely, and will be quite easy to put back together if i get the urge. i was amazed at the weight of the electronics though, a whopping 28.5 grams!! granted, its got two N20s, a 300mah cell, and a heftly RX, but still, wow. the empty fuselage with all its plastic bits came in at 26.4 grams.

i started drawing up some plans for a DH88 Comet, it'll take an 18 inch span to make it not a bullet. but, then i realized i still had the free flight DH Mosquito i bought a while ago. it might just be a perfect fit, i'll have to dig it out of storage tomarrow.

nick

oops, forgot the pics. in the 2nd to past pic, you can see the size of the mini SLs RX compared to the AAs RX. the last pic is of the mosquito, i just checked the motors in it and they're a long can N20, so i think i may leave them in place and just solder them to the RX (they also have an extra long prop shaft to clear the motor pods).

Neurotex 02-28-2007 07:25 AM

I knew it wouldn't take you long!
Almost 30 grams!?! I was hoping 20 at the most. Sure you didn't
have your thumb on the scale?

Fiannawolf 02-28-2007 06:13 PM

Well, I tried regular batteries and still got the same result. I may have to look for a stand alone LiPo charger. Anyone have a suggestion of a good, cost effective one? One interesting thing I found is that the controller for my regular SL also works for my MSL. Go figure! :)

Dan

i live for 3D 02-28-2007 07:23 PM

can this go on water like its big brother?