RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   LightFlite Bug (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/6915120-lightflite-bug.html)

importfan 02-11-2008 11:29 PM

RE: LightFlite Bug

Tim,

What are your overall thoughts on the Bug? This over the Micro Cessna? I am very interested in building one of these, small as possible but large enough to use the 4gram servos instead of actuators. Are you flying your Bug with rudder and elevator or Rudder and elevons or just elevons?

Rich

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-12-2008 10:02 PM

Import, I'm only using the rudder when I realize the wind is messing with me;). That is often an after action realization. I'm just using the elevons most of the time. And I have realized that some of the time I'm using rudder/ele inputs to turn. Alerons/elevons turn different[X(]:eek:. Lightflite is making a 12" version, not sure if it is released yet, but the plane is plenty of fun. My biggest problem is balance. It seems to be set to be balanced at 1/3-1/2 throttle. I normally set my planes to balance between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle. I suppose that expo could solve this. Overall, I think the main limiting factor on this plane is the pilot. Hopefully I'll get it squared away in the next few flights.

Tim

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-16-2008 01:40 AM

Just an update, I just replaced the servos with hs-55's. Much better response visually. A test flight should occur tomorrow.

Tim

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-16-2008 10:04 PM

I flew it today;). I'm fighting a new problem, I seem to have messed with the cg. I'll try to sort it out tomorrow. This is the first ime I was annoyed that I didn't bring more batteries. Had I brought the second battery I would have the answer now. Reguardless, this is an awesome plane, I tend to mod planes back and forth until I have them just as I want them. And then share the info.

If you have info on this plane please share. This thread is for any and all info on the bug.

Tim

Flyin C 02-21-2008 11:56 PM

If I sell two of my older planes, I would love to get the bug!!!

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-22-2008 01:00 AM

Oh, carp. I thought I updated this. Ok after the replacement of the servos the balance seemed wonky. I tok the plane to a large feild and played with battery placement. I ended up with the battery at the full forward position. The plane still seemed a bit tail heavy. Sunday I took the plane and both batteries out to play. The wind was at the edge of OK for a slowstick but I launched anyway. Iended up flying both batteries out in the wind. absolutely a blast.

Tim

importfan 02-24-2008 11:57 PM

Tim,

What is the type and size of the motor that you are running with the Bug? How about the battery size, 2 cells and how many AHr? Are you satisfied with your setup or would you change it? Also, is the CG along the red line in the pictures? Where is it relative to the length of the Bug (prop location to end of elevators)? Sounds like you are getting a ton of folks interested in the Bug. I guess this will become everyones intro into "real" RC after one gets comfortable with the AAs. Thanks

Rich

Mr. Mugen 02-25-2008 12:35 AM

All this talk of this plane and actually seeing it fly indoors is making me order one. I just emailed them about the pro version. Anyone have it yet?

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-25-2008 09:45 AM

Import, other than the servos mine is stock. And as far as I can tell I'm the only one to swap out servos, no mention of it on other bug threads. I have several planes that I bought prior to the bug. My first successful 3 ch plane was the GWS pico stick f, which is a high wing fokker, then a beaver then I got my slow stick sorted out etc. My everyday plane is the micro-cessna. I hope to be comfortable fly the bug in that space this spring.

Mr. mugen, Maybe on the RCG thread. Right now I think I may be the only bug on the page.

Tim

darticus 02-26-2008 04:47 PM

Hey Tim
Started building my Bug today. Servos go in tomorrow. Whats the best way to start takeoff from ground or drop and fly? You have really some great photos to help with the build. Thanks Ron

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-26-2008 07:27 PM

I have been doing a toss at about 1/3 throttle. When I get my aerodrome back I'll work on ROG's. And be able to fly the bug more.

I'm glad the pic's are helpful.

Tim

darticus 02-27-2008 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim
A couple of questions. Hope you have a minute.
How do the servos connect to the receiver? Rudder to rudder, Elevons each to what name on receiver? Which side is right?
Motor running backwards with the wires to correct colors. Switched one wire and runs correct. Can this also be corrected by the Tx, using the DX7.
Do you glue the wheel support 2 inch flex tube to the carbon rod and does the bottom 1 inch tube get glued to the middle of the axle? Close to takeoff. Ron

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-27-2008 07:37 PM

Ron, the esc appears to be set up for a pusher, just swap the wires and your fine. For the servos, from the rear, mine go right servo = ch 1, left servo = ch 2, esc = ch 3, and rudder = ch 4. This is on a fut/hitec system. Set your cg, I'm more comfortable with the 3 7/8 mark than the 4 1/8 mark right now, or you could cheat and split the difference. Yes to glueing the flex tube, no to glueing the attaching piece. Be cautious when glueing the flex tube. And don't glue the flex tube to the fuse, you should be able toturn the flex tube assy easilt on the axle.

Ron, the builder, recommends a low set of rates, I'm still flying mine in that configuration. I made a small mark on the vert stab to check where I am.

Does this make sense?

Tim

darticus 02-28-2008 06:39 PM

Anyone have a BUG and a DX7. Wanted to set up my DX7 to work with the bug and getting the aileron and elevator to work as one so its like one elevator but I don't know how to set it into the dx7. I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO ADJUST THE ELEVON MIXING TO 100 % ELEVATOR AND 0% AILERON. I don't know how to do this. Can anyone help? I was able to do it using a program 1 mix but the aileron will still work on its original lever also. I think I want the rudder and just an elevator(both elevon and aileron)working. Thanks Ron

Flypaper 2 02-28-2008 09:30 PM

I put a bug together a couple of weeks ago for a flying buddy with the DX7 . I also have a P box with the same setup. Put everything back to square one as far as mixing goes, as the radio does it for you. To get into the high end programming Push the two left buttons, then turn on the trans. Go through till you come to WING TYPE. Move the arrow by pushing the select button to delta. Push the increase button to turn on. On page 41 it says put the right elevon in the ail channel and the right in the elev. channel. Sometimes, if you give up el. , and they go down, you can switch them around and everything works in the right direction. You can do servo reversing too to get it right. Make sure the ails are working in the right direction. Not very good at explaining things so I hope this helps.

darticus 02-28-2008 09:45 PM

Nice job! Delta was the key and a switch of the two elevon and aileron plugs on the received. Thanks good job! Ron

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-28-2008 10:01 PM

Cool Ron, you got it sorted out. Here is something to check. Ensure that when you give left turn input the left elevon lifts. This is the same for an aileron plane, the direction of turn lifts.

I flew the Bug in front of the house this evening, I still seem to be a bit tail heavy but got some compensation going. Pretty cool just sort of floating around at 40'. I doomed myself by showing the power of the motor.

Tim

Flypaper 2 02-28-2008 10:24 PM

Tim:
shoulda seen my buddy trying to land on the seat through the side door of his van. Took him three trys but he finally did it.:D

darticus 02-29-2008 12:09 PM

Flypaper 2 and others

Could someone help with giving me pointers on flying the Bug for the first time. I can only fly a cessna 210 so any detailed help would be great. I was told to fly by steering with the ailerons and not the rudder to start and use the two rear flaps as an elevator. So I would use throttle, elevator, and elevon and aileron for steering. I was told don't use the rudder until I get some time in. I using the DX7 so I'm able to do this. How about takeoff- toss or drop? Please get me started with this.

Flypaper 2 02-29-2008 02:18 PM

Couple of ways of starting with this thing because it is a little different. Brobably better to start out as a conventional plane in order to trim it out. Take off from the ground as normal then throttle back till it's flying slow. Set the ail trim so it flies level without rolling off to one side. Don't be afraid to land it, set the trim, then take off again. When you get used to it, you can set the trim on the fly so to speak. Don't be afraid of dorking it as it's a tough little bird. To set the rudder trim, if it looks like the nose is pointing off to the side, use rudder trim to get it straight when it's flying away from you. You may have to reset the ail trim a bit. With this thing the throttle is your altitude control. Pull back on the el. so its at about a 45 degree angle, If it wants to drop, give it a bit more throttle. If it wants to climb, back off on the throttle. You'll find the magic throttle spot where you can fly around at head level. It turns well with either rudder or ail. with ail. you'll have to add a bit of el.. Try flying around like that and you'll find you'll automatically synchronize things without even thinking about it. Above all, have fun with it. If anybody wants to add to it'help yourself. I'm sure I forgot something.:D

Gord.

darticus 02-29-2008 02:52 PM

Using the DX7 radio it allows me to program it so it has an elevator. If it was a regular radio it wouldn't have an elevator just rudder and a elevon and aileron. How would it climb with a regular radio? Thanks Ron

Flypaper 2 02-29-2008 03:01 PM

Easiest way is to separate the back end into three parts. Elevator in the middle and the ails. out at the ends. I have a Hustler Delta I built back in the mid 60s that was done that way.

Gord.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 02-29-2008 11:32 PM

I guess a simple explation of what elevons are is in order. Elevons are a combination of both elevator and ailerons. For r/c planes, flying with elevons requires a computerized radio that can mix the signal proportionally. When you set up your radio for elevons you get control surfaces that change every time you move the right stick. You can't quite fly the same as a 3 channel rudder/elevator plane. To turn you want to push the elevon over, release and pull back to engage the elevator function. That is actually how to for an aileron plane.

Tim

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 03-02-2008 03:52 PM

Man this thing is fun in the wind I had it in the air for about 15 minutes in probably 7-10mph wind. Sort of Judo flying, the wind pushes you up and back you go with the motion and roll out back into the wind. I was doing all kinds of stunts just to stay airborn:D:D:D. Should make the plane a blast when the wind dies down;);).

Tim

darticus 03-02-2008 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I actually got the bug to fly for awhile. I Think this will be fun. Charging the battery and taking off from snow. Cool! Do they make a bigger version than the 23.5 inch bug? I don't see it on their site. Ron