Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Osiris Kudos

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osiris Kudos

About a month ago, I got a 3D Hobbies Osiris and I've been flying it for a couple of weeks now. I can't believe I haven't seen more excitement about it on this forum! It is a fantastic, well thought out, and produced kit with excellent hardware and prefabrication work. I had mine in the air with about 4 hours of shop time.

The Osiris flies beautifully and trims out easily. By playing with battery position, I was able to find a CG position that has no rudder to elevator mix and no rudder to ail mix. It needed about 2% down elevator to low throttle to track straight on a down line. That's all the mixing I have. Even though it is a "small model" it flies and tracks as well as a 2 meter plane and it is designed to fly on a 5s lipo pack so that I can fly on the same batteries that I use for my 2 meter ship ( I use two separate packs rather than soldering two packs together like many do). This plane flies so well, that I haven't been taking my Black Magic out to the field since I got it. I really like being able to fly twice as many flights with the same number of batteries and chargers.

Having owned and flown the Vanquish one and two and the fliton Element 30, I can say from first hand experience that the Osiris is 300% more solid than any of those planes while only being slightly larger. So if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, easily transportable and good flying plane, consider this one!

Unsolicited testimonial from

George Miller
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Osiris Kudos

I would very much agree with what George has said. I first saw the plane at the RCCD contest. Mark Atwood flew the plane after the contest in some moderate wind and I was impressed at how well it handled it. I believe he got the plane from F3A unlimited as a package; airframe, motor and controller. I am just starting out and I currently fly a SebArt Angel and it seemed that the Osiris was maybe a little smaller and lighter as well.
Teo
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
mdjohnson

I've looked at the Osiris as a backup. My alternate is currenty a Vanquish MkII which would allow me to compete and that's about it. It was fine in Intermediate but for the Advanced sequence I would like to have something thatI could at least have a chance with. Don't get me wrong as the Vanquish flies great and I am using it to learn the new 2011 sequence but if you are competeing against 2m airplanes it is at a definate disadvantage.

Having said all that I may just wait for the promised 2mOsiris to be released and use my Wind S110 as the backup............sound familiar??

Decisions, decisions............

Cheers

MJ
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
jarvis johnson

I spoke with 3-D Hobby's about a 2M Osiris, you will be waiting awhile for it, at this time there is no 2M planed at this time
Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM
mdjohnson

Holy crapJarvis, that is bad news!! I have been banking on this as Ben at 3DHS has commented onanotherforum about it. See post 91 & 92. I guess everyone is entitled to change their mind. Lookslike I'll be flying the Wind S110 for at least the next season.I am slowly filling the2m piggy bank but it will be a long while yet before it's ready to be broke in to!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1173419&page=7

Cheers

MJ
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I think Ben is running into the same problems that others have. People want an ARF similar to the Focus pricing. Unfortunately the Focus pricing has been pretty much the same for 10 years. If the plane comes out the least bit heavy, no one will buy it. Being able to produce a plane significantly larger than the Focus for the same price and under weight with MULTIPLE power systems is going to be virtually impossible. Then the other problem is the size of the market. I was talking to Dave Guerin 2 weeks ago about the Focus and in the 9 years or so they have been produced, he still only sold about 700 total airframes. So, it is a fairly small market. The cost of good wood has gone up, the cost of fiberglass and carbon fiber has gone up, but most people wont pay 999.99 or 1099.00 for an ARF that is competitive, they want it in the 700 dollar range and that just isn't cost effective for the guys to do.

Arch
Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
MarkGrabowski

George, what setup (motor, prop, esc, etc.) are you using?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
ytell

Any idea where the Osiris can be purchased?
On 3Dhobbies it is sold out.

Yoav
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
viva_peru

Hello all,

Interesting discussion. I am just getting started and ever since I got interested in pattern I have been dreaming about being able to get a 2M plane. I have attended 3 contests so far and my thinking has changed a little. At least in the lower classes (sportsman and intermediate) I am not sure that the size of the plane really matters that much (within reason; I would not take a park flier to a contest). With that in mind, a plane such as the Osiris is a good choice: not terribly expensive and if I goof up, I can replace it fairly easily and best of all, it flies well.

Having said that, bigger planes do fly and present better. As my skills improve, I would definetily like to get a bigger plane, but I don't think that I will get to be good enough to justify a 2M plane. Maybe bigger, does not mean 2M, but instead, something in the 110/120 size such as the Wind S110. Also, from what I have been able to see, there are not many 110/120 size ARF's out there, so maybe it is an untapped market: somewhat more expensive but not terribly so.

Just my 2 cents,

Teo

Yoav,

I believe that F3A unlimited carries the plane as well. I guess that the 50 size market is not tapped out yet, that is good news.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM
LCHelilover

Hey Mark,

I bought the Hacker outrunner and CC Ice 100 as recommended by 3d Hobbies and I'm using my 5s 4900 to 5350 mah lipos for power. The long battery tray makes cg easy to reproduce with different batteries. For me having it balance just behind the former right in front of the wing tube is the "right" CG.

George
Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
lablover

3dhobbyshop has it in stock according to the web site.

I think I need one of these myself
Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I spoke with Andrew this morning about the 2M Osiris and he was adamant that it is coming along and the factory is building the prototypes right now. Not sure how the confusion came about but Andrew said the 2M Osiris is definitely coming.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
mdjohnson

Excellent news!!

Thanks for the update. Hope Andrew is happy with the prototype too.

Cheers

MJ
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 AM
getterflash

I am looking at the Osiris to get into ePattern and retire my Temptation. Everything seems right . . . . big enough to be competitive (at least for me) , 5 cell flight pack, very reasonable cost, quick build, excellent flight performance.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

That's a good stepping stone, Bob. The 5 cell pack is half a 10 cell pack for a future 2M power system.

ORIGINAL: getterflash

I am looking at the Osiris to get into ePattern and retire my Temptation. Everything seems right . . . . big enough to be competitive (at least for me) , 5 cell flight pack, very reasonable cost, quick build, excellent flight performance.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
LCHelilover

Bob,

It really is a great flying airplane! Last weekend I didn't even take my BMV3 to the field, I just took the Osiris and got more flights in, in less time....by using half the packs, you double your charging capacity and therefore can fly twice as much in the same period of time. The Osiris handles moderate wind extremely well. Much better than the Vanquish sized airplanes. And the "momentum" of the Osiris is more like a full 2 meter bird. The smaller planes just don't "feel heavy enough". The Osiris carries over the top of maneuvers more like a 2 meter ship.

G
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Hauling-A
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: LCHelilover

Bob,

It really is a great flying airplane! Last weekend I didn't even take my BMV3 to the field, I just took the Osiris and got more flights in, in less time....by using half the packs, you double your charging capacity and therefore can fly twice as much in the same period of time. The Osiris handles moderate wind extremely well. Much better than the Vanquish sized airplanes. And the ''momentum'' of the Osiris is more like a full 2 meter bird. The smaller planes just don't ''feel heavy enough''. The Osiris carries over the top of maneuvers more like a 2 meter ship.

G

I agree wholeheartedly, I had my Osiris and Vanquish out Sun and we were flying in gusty wind (5 to 15mph) and the Osiris handles it much better then the Vanquish, But to be fair the Osiris weighs twice what the Vanquish does. Some photo's from Sun flying.

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56092.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1519539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69930.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1519540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68024.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1519541   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54771.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1519542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17540.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1519543  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Hauling-A
My Feedback: (7)

A little bit of Video of my Osiris flying Sun.

Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoHBe88vp3M
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if 3D Hobbies is still in business? I've tried unsuccessfully to e mail and phone them several times today. I understand they will be closed for approx 4 days starting tomorrow November 5th. Thanks___Everette
Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Everette,

In the same post you ask if they are still in business and also point out their website says they will be closed for four days. I dont understand why you assume they are out of business.

Ben is ridiculously busy today getting ready for his meetings he is about to have the next 2 days and then off to Huckfest. He always returns emails and messages in a timely fashion.

Please give him an honest opportunity to reply or phone back. Of course he is still in business.

Chuck Hochhalter
Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 AM
fmidgett

The HPP AJ DVD on Pattern Flight featuring the Osiris just released. See the video here:

http://store.higherplaneproductions.com/ajvol3dv3.html
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
underwoodsteve

Hi guys,
is this model avaliable in europe??????????????????........

regards
steve
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have got enough electric stuff together to fly mine this week. I'm pretty excited about it. I too am suprised that there isn't more of a following, but there is a long thread on RCGroups about it.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72568.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1626158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47409.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1626159