Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Secraft Axles

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Malcolm H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secraft Axles

Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to get these and an MK wheel inside the spat? I've been fiddling around for ages trying to get them inside my Asyuler spats with no success.

I usually use the type with a thread and a nut on the inside which can be fed through a hole in the spat with the nut loose, the wheel fed on and then the nut tightened but I'm beat with this design. Only thing I can think of is to cut a slot in the spat to feed the assembled wheel and axle vertically up into it.

Cheers

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56197.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1581913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88449.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1581914  
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Secraft Axles

Hi Malcolm,

I think you need a BFH (Bigger Friggin Hammer)....

Seriously, depending on the diameter of the axle where it screws up against the UC leg, I'd be drilling a snug hole in the pant and then secure the pant with a 4:40 screw. The screw goes into a blind nut on a small piece of light ply glues inside the pant. It makes for a nice solid pant attachment that won't rotate.. Looks neat too!

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Malcolm H

Jason old chap,

I'm no stranger to BFHs, you don't work in hydraulics without a few assorted ones!

Have a look at this drawing. The 5mm dia x 5mm long bit goes into the leg. The problem is how to get the rest inside the spat with the wheel on. It would be possible to drill a hole the dia of the bit just before the axle and slip the spat over that but then there would be a 3mm gap between the leg and the spat where the large dia bit is and that would look really horrible!

I'm hoping that Chris Moon will chip in here as they came from F3A Unlimited.

Malcolm

Name:	Zx70737.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1581931  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I Malcolm

I did a mock up with an old wheel pant and piece of ply to substitute for the gear leg. The hole need to be large enough for the axle stud to pass through the pant and also into the gear leg too. The hole needs to be bigger than just the screw diameter. Hope this helps.

Name:	Sq46706.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1581972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16466.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1581973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51297.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1581974  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Malcolm H

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, but the question remains - how do you get the wheel on?

Sorry for being thick but I just can't see how to get it in there with the axle fitted and if you put the wheel on then try and fit it inside the pant you would need to split the thing in two!

Regards

Malcolm
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

From the looks of the setup, it appears that after you feed the axle through the gear leg and start into the pants, you would put the retainer and wheel on the axle before pushing it the rest of the way in. Then you would lock it in place and put the clip to hold the wheel.

Arch
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Malcolm H

You can't feed this axle part way through the spat. That large dia piece with the small hole in the side you can see in Chris's pic is part of the axle it wont go through a hole in the spat.

The axle has to be placed inside the spat and the end for the leg pushed out out through the hole.

You can't do this with the wheel on.

Who would have thought that fitting the wheels was the hardest part of building an F3A model!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
najary

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Malcolm,

See post 171
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._7/key_/tm.htm

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Malcom,

I haven't seen these up close, but there appears to be a set screw on the large piece inside the wheel pant. Does loosening this set screw now allow you to move it along the shaft of the axle?

Edited, I think I see the issue now. Can you not put the wheel on the axle and then push it through? I dont think you can put the wheel on after it is in place.

Arch
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
pfloyd

Are you sure the axle and large dia part is one piece? From the picture it looks like two pieces which hold together with the set screw. If this is not the case, what is the purpose of that hole?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Malcolm H

Yes, its in one piece. I think the hole is there to allow you to insert a piece of piano wire to stop the axle rotating while you tighten the cap head screw through the leg.

Isaac's post showed what I think are MK axles which don't have the 5mm dia part to go through the leg. These can be inserted into the spat complete with wheel and then just the screw goes through the leg and spat.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea I'm going to machine off the 5mm portion and do just that.

Malcolm
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Here is an Oxai carbon wheel pant that is brand new with no holes and no extra clearance made for the tire. As you can see, the tire is oversize actually for this cut out. I put the wheel on the axle and then pushed the outside edge of the axle below the top of the wheel pant cut out and then could pull the opening apart enough to pop the inner end of the axle into the pant. If there had been a hole drilled for the axle, it would have popped right into the hole and been set. I did this about 5 times and did not do any damage to the wheel pant, the tire and axle slipped past the wheel pant opening and into position. If I had made the wheel opening a little larger to better accommodate this tire, it would have been easier. It's not a drop in, but this opening is actually too small and I would think a larger opening wold be easier to do.

Name:	Qo41351.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1582046  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Malcolm,

This is how I did it on my Jupiter. As long as you use a good quality plywood I think you will be OK doing it like this. The wheel pant remains quite rigid even though I made the slot for the shaft. I used some Tygon fuel tubing to center the wheel in the wheel pant, it also provides a little resistance so that the wheel does not rattle inside the wheel pant.

Name:	Lj22659.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1582082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41841.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1582083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64928.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1582084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94147.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1582085  
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
najary

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Yes, its in one piece. I think the hole is there to allow you to insert a piece of piano wire to stop the axle rotating while you tighten the cap head screw through the leg.

Isaac's post showed what I think are MK axles which don't have the 5mm dia part to go through the leg. These can be inserted into the spat complete with wheel and then just the screw goes through the leg and spat.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea I'm going to machine off the 5mm portion and do just that.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

I use the NMP axles:
http://www.centralhobbies.com/landing_gear/Axles.html

Best regards,

Isaac Najary