Reload this Page >

What defines the IDEAL E-Motor for you?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

What defines the IDEAL E-Motor for you?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What defines the IDEAL E-Motor for you?

So just wondering if folks could design the "perfect" e-motor what characteristics would it have? Tell the world of motor makers what you want!

1) Weight
2) Optimum prop size
3) Optimum RPM on above
4) Minimum efficiency.
5) Mounting options
6) Maintenance requirements.
7) Cost.
8) Size.

Just curious

Joe
Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: What defines the IDEAL E-Motor for you?

One that dosen't chuck the magnets.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

A good motor to me is light, has plenty of over the top speed into the wind, good low end torque and is able to provide plenty of speed at mid stick at a low amount of amperage. Of course, this is all plane dependent as some planes are designed to go slower than others, which is something I am trying to get a way from.

Mounting option, cost.. Well, cost does matter to me, but I have learned that it's best to spend the extra and have none of the headaches! Mounting, I'll take whatever and make it work.

Chris
Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
2Sunny

I admit I have an agenda in asking this question 'cuz I believe outrunners can be sub-500g and still produce 3000 watts plus and for me that would be the target a 500g outrunner that spins a 20.5 x 14 at 6500 RPM. Reason being I feel we should all have safety switches to prevent unwanted throttle bumps as well as redundant power systems for the RX, but those two items eat up 100g or more and make it difficult to reach 5000g with todays battery weights. Of course, if batteries started coming in under 1100g for 5000mAh then this would all be moot . . . Can't wait to see what the future holds
Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

To me the ideal E-motor is one that is very efficient and has good bearings and good cooling. Offer it in several winds for 8S and 10S so that the 110 size planes as well as the 2M ships can use it and people can play with props. Make it easy to mount bolted to the front of a firewall or to the back of a nose ring. Make it an outrunner too. Weight isn't so important to me as long as it's not outrageously heavy.