Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New Hacker ESC Senstrol

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Niall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hacker ESC Senstrol

New Hacker speedcontroller, notice the sensor on the back of the motor....

http://www.matt-rc.li/englisch/news/...eit%202011.pdf
http://www.matt-rc.li/englisch/index.htm

Looks like they have incorporated a govenor...
Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: New Hacker ESC Senstrol

Wonder why a 120 on a C50 though..

Chris
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

From Esprit's Website:

http://www.espritmodel.com/new-2011-season.aspx

» Hacker C50 Sensored F3A Competition Power System
Hacker showed the new Senstrol 120 brushless airplane motor and controller combo. Coming with what they call Constant Power Management the controller simply holds the RPM adjusted by the transmitter stick irregardless the flight situation the plane. For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor. F3A pilots who need this constant speed flight situation will welcome this. Also, when turning the motor off the prop is positionable in any position you want and it stays there until you start the motor again. Hacker achieved this by having a 4096 step encoding system for the motor and fully automatic real-time variable frequency and phase sequencing calculation. The system is fully RPM controlled giving proportional RPM output with stick movement. The system is made around Hacker's C50 line of brushless motors with KV rating variants available when the Senstrol system is finally available.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Cool.

Wonder what that will do to the battery temps. Guess they should be ok, but I would guess this will allow us to pull more amps from our batteries, and push more into our motors, warming both a little. But I could only see a few instances where the extra power would be used as I don't go to full throttle anyhow. Although it may allow us to run smaller motors and get more out of them.

Technology is cool, expensive, but cool!

Chris
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the Senstrol 'adds' power or rather 'limits' power so initially you have X amount of power and the esc gradually increases the amps as the battery voltage drops with the net result is a constant power (watts) setting for any given throttle position thru the flight. Sounds like a governor mode in helis.

Woodie
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
DaveL322

ORIGINAL: woodie

I wonder if the Senstrol 'adds' power or rather 'limits' power so initially you have X amount of power and the esc gradually increases the amps as the battery voltage drops with the net result is a constant power (watts) setting for any given throttle position thru the flight. Sounds like a governor mode in helis.

Woodie
In which case you would have to articifically limit peak power at the beginning of the flight, since the power level of the lipo is always dropping (unless it starts very cold and warms up substantially during the flight).

Regards,
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: woodie

Woodie
No, if it controls rpm then it has to increase the power as you apply more load as you do when you pull up. This also means you need some overhead, that is, if you now use max power with fresh batteries you won't be able to hold the same rpm when the batteries drop off even with this system. But for most of us this should be a winner as we seldom use full power. However, I've never heard of having too much power and I suspect we'll want more with this system. Especially when we put a Contra drive on it.

Jim
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
woodie

Jim, I agree, we would probably have to set some 'overhead' value so the system would not use full power at the beginning of the flight. Basically, the controller probably automatically does what we try to do with the throttle control as the voltage drops. Using more and more of the remaining stick travel to hold a constant speed.

Some of my flying buddies do something similar using multiple throttle curves but they use it to match various batteries so the newer packs don't feel different/stronger than the older packs.

Woodie
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

So the motor RPM is a function of the throttle stick position, that is cool. Just curious how the following is achieved without knowing the speed of the airplane.

"For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor"
Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't you just love marketing, as if keeping the RPM the same will keep your airspeed the same giving you that constant speed look. You'd think they'd credit pattern flyers with a bit more intelligence.

If you don't up the RPM when you point the nose up the plane will slow down. Used in conjuction with a variable pitch prop, then I can see the point of a governor for F3A work.

That being cleared up, the esc knows exactly what the commutation frequency (some fixed multiple of the RPM depending on the number of motor poles) is so maintaining a set RPM is a very simple thing for the ESC unless the ESC is a Castle unit and it's trying to maintain the headspeed in a heli....but I won't go there....

The only reason that I can figure for having sensors in the motor is so that the ESC knows exactly where the motor rotor is allowing very fine control of the commutation timing at low rpm and situations where the back EMF signal isn't good, heavy braking on a downline with a prop speed of a few hundred RPM or maybe if the core is saturating from excessive motor current. There's no reason why the ESC can't operate in sensorless "mode" when the back EMF sigal is clean.

There's no doubt that properly configured that you can get the best of both worlds (sensored and sensorless control)
Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

If its new and expensive, it must be better, right?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably it produces a linear or more linear throttle curve than the actual sensorless, so the control is more realistic than those when you have power above 50% of motor power, it might half power at 25% or so.

I have a C50-14XL Comp WM LE, and it does lack power from 50% down, something I am not used to, maybe this fixes that?

There must be something really good about it for Hacker to spend in the R&D.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I understand this isn't the point of the Senstrol, since the discussion has sort of gone there, why not just use a voltage regulator at 35 or 36 volts if you want constant power throughout the flight?

Seems to me like this setup is trying to work like 'cruise control' though not sure we have enough information about it to really assess it's potential benefits or failure points.

God forbid we have to move our thumbs 3/4" for loops and verticals, lol.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
OhD

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Don't you just love marketing, as if keeping the RPM the same will keep your airspeed the same giving you that constant speed look. You'd think they'd credit pattern flyers with a bit more intelligence.

If you don't up the RPM when you point the nose up the plane will slow down. Used in conjuction with a variable pitch prop, then I can see the point of a governor for F3A work.

That being cleared up, the esc knows exactly what the commutation frequency (some fixed multiple of the RPM depending on the number of motor poles) is so maintaining a set RPM is a very simple thing for the ESC unless the ESC is a Castle unit and it's trying to maintain the headspeed in a heli....but I won't go there....

The only reason that I can figure for having sensors in the motor is so that the ESC knows exactly where the motor rotor is allowing very fine control of the commutation timing at low rpm and situations where the back EMF signal isn't good, heavy braking on a downline with a prop speed of a few hundred RPM or maybe if the core is saturating from excessive motor current. There's no reason why the ESC can't operate in sensorless ''mode'' when the back EMF sigal is clean.

There's no doubt that properly configured that you can get the best of both worlds (sensored and sensorless control)
I believe you inferred that Hacker claimed this would provide constant speed. However, by providing a predictable RPM for a given stick position it shouldn't take pattern flyers long to figure out how to get closer to constant speed at least on straight lines whether horizontal or vertical. This will lead to more predictable pitch and roll rates for a given stick position and eliminate the need to adjust pilot inputs for battery voltage variations. It is a step in the right direction.

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
bjr_93tz

"Constant Power Management the controller simply holds the RPM adjusted by the transmitter stick irregardless the flight situation the plane. For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor. F3A pilots who need this constant speed flight situation will welcome this."

When I see "holds the RPM" and "need this constant speed flight" then it's pretty clear what their implying.

An ESC does not need an additional sensor to govern to a set rpm OR to ramp up the power for any given throttle position to compensate for dropping pack voltage, it already knows the RPM and it already knows the pack voltage and there's a really good chance it already knows the motor current, so it would be very easy for it to emulate any IC engine Torque vs RPM curve.

I'm not knocking it, I'm just really curious as to what the sensor's REALLY there for.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
OhD

''Constant Power Management the controller simply holds the RPM adjusted by the transmitter stick irregardless the flight situation the plane. For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor. F3A pilots who need this constant speed flight situation will welcome this.''

When I see ''holds the RPM'' and ''need this constant speed flight'' then it's pretty clear what their implying.

An ESC does not need an additional sensor to govern to a set rpm OR to ramp up the power for any given throttle position to compensate for dropping pack voltage, it already knows the RPM and it already knows the pack voltage and there's a really good chance it already knows the motor current, so it would be very easy for it to emulate any IC engine Torque vs RPM curve.

I'm not knocking it, I'm just really curious as to what the sensor's REALLY there for.
I 'm thinking that something might have been distorted in the translation but then again I know what Marketing guys can do with the real world.

In order to control rpm the esc must know the angular position in real time in order to calculate the near instant rpm. Averaging over 10 Hz or more is not going to give you the frequency response you would like. You are probably aware of how long it takes the governor to get the rpm under control in a helicopter, but that is okay as long as you don't need quick changes in rpm.

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM
DaveL322

Install your handy Eagletree RPM sensor and micro logger.

Go way up high and check the RPM entering a spin, during the spin, and at the end of a long downline after the spin. It will become very apparent why the sensor is needed. The ESC is blind to motor RPM when the brake is being applied, and if the brake is not being applied, the RPM will spool up substantially, thus negating the claim and claimed benefit of constant RPM.

I agree that constant RPM at constant throttle position will not yield constant airspeed (or necessarily constant full throttle RPM as the battery discharges), but it may make it easier to fly constant speed. Of course the wind is always a factor, so throttle adjustments are constantly being made for that as well.

Regards,
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

"Constant Power Management the controller simply holds the RPM adjusted by the transmitter stick irregardless the flight situation the plane. For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor. F3A pilots who need this constant speed flight situation will welcome this."

When I see "holds the RPM" and "need this constant speed flight" then it's pretty clear what their implying.
Ithink you are reading intent that is not intended!

Full scale aviation refers to a constant-speed prop. That is a prop that has variable pitch and is controlled by both a power lever and pitch lever. The airspeed of the aircraft is not what is kept constant byhaving a constant-speed prop. It is the set-point RPMs that are kept constant. So we have the case where the term "speed" is used to refer to maintaining a set number of RPMs. Ithink the intent of this device is precisely the same. the differencethey cannot obtain that by varying pitch for a given power setting. They have to measure RPM and adjust power to maintain the desired RPMs.

What Does "Constant Speed Propeller" Mean?

It means a constant RPM (revolution per minute) system that permits the pilot to select the propeller and engine speed the pilot wants for any situation, and then automatically maintain that RPM under varying conditions of airspeed and power.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ESC's cannot detect motor position during braking, so without the sensor it would never work at low RPM, only while under power.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 AM
bjr_93tz

Please don't mind my comments too much, I'm just grumpy because I'm running in my YS after another rebuild...Yayyyy

There's certainly no downside to the ESC having another pair of eyes on what the motor's doing.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 AM
serious power

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

From Esprit's Website:

http://www.espritmodel.com/new-2011-season.aspx

» Hacker C50 Sensored F3A Competition Power System
Hacker showed the new Senstrol 120 brushless airplane motor and controller combo. Coming with what they call Constant Power Management the controller simply holds the RPM adjusted by the transmitter stick irregardless the flight situation the plane. For example the plane is flight into a loop then the controller holds the RPM by putting more power on the motor and also holds the RPM when going downwards again by given less power on the motor. F3A pilots who need this constant speed flight situation will welcome this. Also, when turning the motor off the prop is positionable in any position you want and it stays there until you start the motor again. Hacker achieved this by having a 4096 step encoding system for the motor and fully automatic real-time variable frequency and phase sequencing calculation. The system is fully RPM controlled giving proportional RPM output with stick movement. The system is made around Hacker's C50 line of brushless motors with KV rating variants available when the Senstrol system is finally available.
Hi,
You might remember the Pletty vector system was deemed 'not allowed' by the FAI F3A subcommittee.
The code says ,in the Not allowed section;
'2. Pre-programmng devices to automatically perform a series of commands.'
I think that automatic adjustment of power to compensate for model attitude and or speed will fall foul of this rule
If you think about it is similar to auto wing levelling.

Brian
Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian,

I think you will find if the system monitored airspeed and adjusted power input to hold constant airspeed it would be illegal but holding rpm constant isnt.

Besides you know you are going to put one on your contradrive!

Cheers,

Malcolm
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

. . .<snip>. . I'm running in my YS after another rebuild...Yayyyy
. . .<snip>. .
Dang, that makes my eye twitch half way 'round the world!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

That automatically maintain the RPM given a throttle position is certainly new, which is not seen with glow or gas engines.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
serious power

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Brian,

I think you will find if the system monitored airspeed and adjusted power input to hold constant airspeed it would be illegal but holding rpm constant isnt.

Besides you know you are going to put one on your contradrive!

Cheers,

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,
If it 'automatically' increases power to the motor as the load increases to maintain a given RPM and then/also 'automatically' decreases power to the motor as load decreases then it will have contravened that 'not allowed' rule in my opinion.
Having thought about this I think it should indeed be deemed 'not allowed'. The line has to be drawn someplace.

I would hate to have a contra drive that contravened the rules .

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.