Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Cellpro 10XP

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Cellpro 10XP

Just got in my new Cellpro 10XP charger sold by Revolectrix and of course, my favorite store F3AUnlimited.

The user interface on the charger is the same as the 10S but a few things have definitely changed.

1.) The XP has it's own PC interface program. It is not the same as the 10S
2.) The XP can discharge packs. (It took me a while to understand this but that's probably because Iwas skimming). It discharges when you select "Storage" mode. On Lipo, if the pack is below 3.8V per cell, it charges. If it's over, it will discharge to 3.8V per cell
3.) There are 10 presets on this one. NICE
4.) Interestingly, it appears you cannot charge solely from the balance boards as you can with the 10S (if I'm wrong about this, feel free to point it out). You CAN however, use just the discharge lead to charge unbalanced for Lipo 2S packs. The 10S would not allow you to charge without the balance boards being connected. So with this one, you must have the discharge lead connected at all times.
5.) The XP will support multiple chemistries but obviously, you can only charge one chemistry at a time.
6.) The adapter boards are retro meaning the 10S boards will work no problem.

The price is decent and it's nice to finally have a charger that will discharge. I posted this for those that may be considering this charger. I have had awesome luck with my 10S and Iexpect nothing less from this one.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cellpro 10XP

Sounds great Scott I'm sure i'll get one here in the offseason. Do you happen to know what the maximum discharge rate is? Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM
smcharg

Hey Mike,
   The discharge rate is 1A per cell.  I don't believe that can be altered.

Scott
Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 10XP won't let you charge without the discharge wire attached. This is a change from the 10S which would allow you to charge below 4 amps via the balance boards only. Since the discharge wire is now required, the 10XP does not include the blocker plug.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM
smcharg

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

The 10XP won't let you charge without the discharge wire attached. This is a change from the 10S which would allow you to charge below 4 amps via the balance boards only. Since the discharge wire is now required, the 10XP does not include the blocker plug.
Agreed. The only "bad" thing is you have to have a discharge lead for rx packs to the charger (whether it be direct to bananna or a seperate adapter to your big lipo connector). It was/is nice to just plug the little 2S packs into the balance boards and not worry about the discharge lead with the blocker plug on the 10S but it is nice if you just want to quick charge a 2S with only the discharge lead. No biggie really and just a different technique to achieve the same ultimate goal.

Thanks for getting me the charger so quick Chris!

Scott

Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 AM
degray
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks for your post. I'm just converting to electric for next season and need some items including a charger and power supply. I was considering either the CellPro 10xp or the TP 820CD which sells for about a $100 more. I have a question on power supplies. I have a new computer pw supply rated at 850 Watts (60+ Amps.). Does anyone have experience using this type of supply and would you recommend using one? Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM
woodie

Computer power supplies (especially server power supplies) work very well. There is extensive information on RC Groups about converting server power supplies for powering chargers in the Batteries and Chargers section.

Woodie
Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: degray

Thanks for your post. I'm just converting to electric for next season and need some items including a charger and power supply. I was considering either the CellPro 10xp or the TP 820CD which sells for about a $100 more. I have a question on power supplies. I have a new computer pw supply rated at 850 Watts (60+ Amps.). Does anyone have experience using this type of supply and would you recommend using one? Thanks
I have used several IBM 235 12v power supplies for the last few years with very good results. Recently, just built a new charge box with two hp 600 supplies @24v that really takes advantage of the full potential of the 10xp. Always try to use as many volts as your chargers can handle. Don't have a lot of charges on my XP but so far very happy with it and looking forward to using its 15A output.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM
degray

Thanks Woodie and Anthony for the info. Are server power supplies that much different than those for computers, as long as they are rated at the same wattage and max current? Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 PM
woodie

Yes, the server power supplies are designed to run 24x7 for months on end. They are also more efficient having higher PFC (power factor correction) than standard desktop power supplies. In my experience, I have not been able to get the rated output power from desktop power supplies tho others may have had better luck.

Don
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
degray

Thanks Woodie. I will pick up one. Don