Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

HACKER Q-60/CASTLE HV 85 ESC SETTING

Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HACKER Q-60/CASTLE HV 85 ESC SETTING

Hey Guys
Is anyone out there in the pattern world running this setup, if so what are your setting for the HV-85 ESC, tried running the same setup for the Himax 210,
but I'm only getting 2500 watts at 70 amps, when others out there are setting up the Q-60 are getting 79-82 amps and 2800-3000 watts. I'm using the PT 21 x 14 CF
F3a unlimted 25c 4900 packs, also using the Futaba 12fg.

Thanks
Jarvis
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: HACKER Q-60/CASTLE HV 85 ESC SETTING

Hi Jarvis,

You might give Mike a call over at Aero Models Inc. He recently helped a friend sort through some power issues on his Hacker motor. Time to get ready for next year as Feb is right around the corner.

maustin
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jarvis,

Can't speak to the HV85, I'm flying an ICE2HV120 and I'm pulling about 79.5 amps peak, 2945 watts during a flight, average of about 580-630 watts per flight according to my eagletree logger. An HV85 is, IMHO, too small a speed control for our setups, for long life you don't ever want to push electronics past 80% of their rated capability, pulling ~80 amps on an HV85 is cutting it a little close.

I love this motor, sick amounts of power and it hasn't broken 80 degrees on a flight yet (granted, the air is pretty cool right now).

Peter+
Old 11-26-2011, 12:41 PM
pvogel

forgot to mention: it's really important with Castle speed controllers (and others possibly, it depends on how they initialize their throttle endpoints) to set FIXED endpoint mode and program the radio appropriately. Especially for the way we fly in a pattern contest, otherwise the speed controller gets a funny idea of where high throttle is and the last 1/4-1/3 of your stick doesn't do anything.

Peter+
Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 PM
remmulp
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Jarvis,

Peter is correct but it is always worth it to have a little primer to help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7VTrs_hsI, althougth they are working with a Heli the end-point setup is the same. If you drill down in the link further they show how to program CC controllers; set mine up with this (CC HV85).

Mike P.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
DaveL322

ORIGINAL: pvogel

Hi Jarvis,

Can't speak to the HV85, I'm flying an ICE2HV120 and I'm pulling about 79.5 amps peak, 2945 watts during a flight, average of about 580-630 watts per flight according to my eagletree logger. An HV85 is, IMHO, too small a speed control for our setups, for long life you don't ever want to push electronics past 80% of their rated capability, pulling ~80 amps on an HV85 is cutting it a little close.

I love this motor, sick amounts of power and it hasn't broken 80 degrees on a flight yet (granted, the air is pretty cool right now).

Peter+
Peter,

No doubt electronics last longer when used with greater margins (and operated at lower temps). That being said, average watts are much lower (well under 50%) than peak watts with pattern setups. Castle ESCs are pretty well known for being conservatively rated, with the ratings being for continuous amps. I can assure you that both the older 85HV and newer 80HV have plenty of margin for use in pattern, and using anything larger is simply adding weight (and the tiniest bit of efficiency that might add up to a couple mah). My current setup will hit 3500 watts on a warm day, and I've tested setups that hit 4000 watts. I have multiple 85s and 80s with well over 500 flights.

Regards,