Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

YS To Electric conversion

Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS To Electric conversion

Can anyone tell me about how much weight the total setup to for the YS is ? Including everything it takes to run it. I an considering a conversion ,trying to figure out what I have to play with but don't want to strip the plane to weight it all.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS To Electric conversion

I documented my conversion of an old Sequel to electric here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9602184.

Fort the Sequel, I have to remove extra weight from the plane to make the plane fly well and to meet the AMA 5kg rule. You have extra 115grams allowance if compete in class lower than Masters in Nats.

As a reference, the best of an electric power system one can buy has the following weight distributions

1. motor + prop adaptor: 20-21oz
2. battery: 2lb 11oz
3. prop: 1.5 - 2 oz
4. ESC: 3-4 oz

The total is 70 oz = 4.375 lb. 11 lb - 4.375lb = 6.625 lb.

That should the cap of the total weight of the plane after the removal of the YS engine, tank etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS To Electric conversion

Everything I removed from my 170 CDI powered Integral including throttle servo, linkages, fuel tubing weighed in at 1900 grams. Add to that the lighter props available to electric motors and you're close to 2 kg.