Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Composite Pegasus

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Composite Pegasus

It may be another month or two before I finally get to fly this bad boy, but it's ready and waiting so I thought I'd share some photos and details. Plus I want to say thanks to everyone who helped make this technological wonder a reality. Thanks to Larry for the build, F3A for supplying everything, and Jim O for making the redundant power easier than ever. As always I am humbled by my good fortune to be able to have such great connections plus the finances to take advantage of all the best. Meantime, I'm spending an hour a day on the simulator to try and get myself ready to step up from Intermediate to Advanced this year. That darn slow roll is tough, but I think "this 'ole dog" is getting it one step at a time. Pretty sure I'm gonna be nervous as heck first time I fly the Pegasus though. I only hope I can prove worthy

Joe

Anyways, here she is!

[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_23&products_id=207]Pletty Advance[/link]
[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_27&products_id=60]YGE 90HV F3A[/link]
[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_34&products_id=480]Falcon V2 21x14[/link]
[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_57&products_id=566]Power Unlimited 10S/2S Power Tap[/link]

gjgiajcc.jpg?t=1328791875

ieigahaf.jpg?t=1328793076

aiedcjef.jpg?t=1328791877
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Extreme Composite Pegasus

Pretty plane, Joe! Congrats, and good luck with it.

And of course someone needs to ask: what's she weigh?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Thanks Joe! I see you're showing your location as Ohio. Are you out of school and working now?

The Pegasus weighs 8 lbs 1 oz. (3657g) with the Eneloop Rx battery backup and the Jim O 2s tap + regulator BEC. Plenty of available weight for even the heaviest battery.

Joe
Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Jetdesign

Hi Joe,
Yes, I finished school and am living in aviation heaven, and am a design engineer for a company that manufactures gas turbine engines - maybe you are familiar?? hehe

I am excited for a 2M composite plane; so nice to see more and more options that easily make weight with cheap electric batteries. No idea when it will finally happen, but some day...

I'm also excited to clean up the Wind and get the Neu dialed in.

Maybe I'll see you at NATS one of these years??
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GE?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Bill Clark

That thing is gorgeous Joe. I have a 33% Xtreme Composites Edge 540. Their quality seems very good. Enjoy
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
cmoulder

That's a gorgeous machine, Joe!

Where are you flying now? I have been practicing Advanced quite a bit so maybe we could get together soon and compare notes.

I fly at Haverstraw and at Stormville when it goes active again... April, I think.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 AM
2Sunny

Hi Joe,
Yes, I finished school and am living in aviation heaven, and am a design engineer for a company that manufactures gas turbine engines - maybe you are familiar?? hehe

I am excited for a 2M composite plane; so nice to see more and more options that easily make weight with cheap electric batteries. No idea when it will finally happen, but some day...

I'm also excited to clean up the Wind and get the Neu dialed in.

Maybe I'll see you at NATS one of these years??

Joe, Congratulations! If I could roll back the hands of time I'd have used my engineering degree the same way. GE is an awesome company to work for, and I'm totally jealous. Can't wait to see you at a contest or better yet the Nats.

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

That's a gorgeous machine, Joe!

Where are you flying now? I have been practicing Advanced quite a bit so maybe we could get together soon and compare notes.

I fly at Haverstraw and at Stormville when it goes active again... April, I think.

Hey Bob,

I would love to fly with you sometime! I definitely need some external input as it's so hard to catch what I'm doing wrong on my own and I'm sure I could make much faster progress improving my slow roll and four point roll if I had some critical input. Right now I'm flying my Sebart Angel in Norwalk, but I don't have any place to fly 2M until Stormville opens again. Plus I'm doing a half hour a day on RealFlight 4.5. I have the Pheonix sim as well, but I like the feel of the Jesky Krill Spark in Real Flight better than the Integral on Pheonix. The sim isn't much good for a whole routine, but I'm practicing slow rolls and four point rolls as close to me as possible and right off the ground so I feel like I'm getting some meaningful muscle memory. It's kinda cool 'cuz I hooked it up to my giant flat screen TV and I practice standing up in my living room. Almost looks real sometimes especially with the "Photofields", but we'll see in May how much value the sim practice really has . . .

Joe
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

Plus I'm doing a half hour a day on RealFlight 4.5. I have the Pheonix sim as well, but I like the feel of the Jesky Krill Spark in Real Flight better than the Integral on Pheonix. The sim isn't much good for a whole routine, but I'm practicing slow rolls and four point rolls as close to me as possible and right off the ground so I feel like I'm getting some meaningful muscle memory. It's kinda cool 'cuz I hooked it up to my giant flat screen TV and I practice standing up in my living room. Almost looks real sometimes especially with the "Photofields", but we'll see in May how much value the sim practice really has . . .
You should find the sim to be an excellent means to learn the timing of inputs and getting you beyond the point of having to think about what you should be doing. I also use the Jesky Krill Spark Evo in Real Flight. Imodifed the model attributes to reflect more my taste in sensitivity and feel. Ihave modified flight models for the stock TXand also for use with my JR 12X. In the case of the JR12x i used some of the transmitter mixes to give me idle-up, rates, and also to dial out some of the knife edge and downline pitch coupling. Iwould be glad to send them to you if you are interested in givingthem a try. I did something similar for a friend flying the BVMbanditon the JR 12X. Imodified the model for use with various 12x mixes, etc., and he was very successful in using the sim to remain current on his Bandit.

I also practice low and close at times to become more refined in recognizing the need for input. But it is also good to be sure to push the aircraft out and fly at a distance and height that reflects the real deal. The perspective changes and it impacts recognitionof the need to make corrections.

So long as you understand the limits of the particular simulator that you use, and prevent yourself from using the sim as a crutch, it will serve you very well.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM
2Sunny

Pegasus Update:

Finally after many months of waiting, I had a chance to actually go fly my new Pegasus yesterday. I flew 10 packs worth, but I was getting frustrated because my slow rolls were terrible. I kept holding on to left rudder too long when rolling right and making the plane peel off to the left. I decided to try what C.M. always tells me to do when I'm struggling with rolling manuveurs and try the same manuveur with only aileron input. All I can say is OMG! the canalizer really does work! The Pegasus does nearly perfect slow rolls with "ZERO" rudder input! Once I got that figured out the practice went much better. I absolutely love this plane!!

Joe
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 AM
2Sunny

Long story, but latest iteration of the plane is

Plettenberg Advance 30-10
Falcon 21 x 14 V2
YGE 90 F3A HV
Emcotec arming switch
Dimension Engineering VHV-BEC
Enelop 4.8v NiMH backup Rx bat

AUW 3663g (8 lbs 1 oz)

And what would a post be without a few pictures . . .

Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all GORGEOUS airplane!!!

Secondly, how in the HELL did you get a full 2 meter plane to come in just over 8 pounds? I am being very careful with my new Sickle and I will still be lucky to be a hair under 11 pounds!! I thought the weight listed earlier in the thread was a typo then you lister it again!

How do you like the Pletty Advance? Just installed mine.

That is amazing. Congratulations. Hope to see you at a D4 event sometimes. Until then we will take good care of Joe.

Anthony
D4 DVP
Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Joe,

The arming switch is installed wrong. The clear plastic goes on the inside.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
2Sunny

Thanks Anthony! I'm afraid I can't take any credit for the awesome light build. That would be the magic of Larry Kaufmann. He is the world's greatest builder in my book; plus I think the Pegasus comes factory painted and the paint job is the lightest humanely possible. So added together and you get one wicked light plane, but more importantly this plane just flies fantasticly!!! I mean I love my Delro, but this is taking it up a notch for sure. Now if I could just get my fingers to progress faster in learning so I could move up to a category worthy of such a great machine

Hey Jason, Yeah I know the black was designed to go on the outside, but I prefer the clear as being less obvious and it still holds just fine since I threw a little glue on the inside

Standby for some graphs
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM
proparc

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

Thanks Joe! I see you're showing your location as Ohio. Are you out of school and working now?

The Pegasus weighs 8 lbs 1 oz. (3657g) with the Eneloop Rx battery backup and the Jim O 2s tap + regulator BEC. Plenty of available weight for even the heaviest battery.

Joe
I hate to say it, but I almost don't believe it. I have never heard of a 8 lbs. 2 meter ship. I can't believe you have a 2M that 3 pounds lighter than average. Your plane is 3 lbs lighter than: CPLR's ship, Chip Hyde, Andrew Jesky. That is beyond awesome. What in the world does this thing fly like? You gotta out somenting on YouTube bro!

Think about it, your plane weighs the same as a lot of 60 powered classic pattern ships!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, you need to read more carefully. It's 8 pounds WITHOUT the flight batteries.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:38 AM
cmoulder

Hey, Joe, a couple of of us (at least) will be at Stormville today if you can make it. I will be there around 10:30 or so.

I'd love to see that beautiful Pegasus!

I got to see JLachow fly his Xigris with the Advance yesterday and that is one impressive power plant (and Pilot, BTW). I have an Advance that I'll be putting into a Caelestia soon.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 AM
2Sunny

Hey, Joe, a couple of of us (at least) will be at Stormville today if you can make it. I will be there around 10:30 or so.

I'd love to see that beautiful Pegasus!

I got to see JLachow fly his Xigris with the Advance yesterday and that is one impressive power plant (and Pilot, BTW). I have an Advance that I'll be putting into a Caelestia soon.
Morning Bob,

Nothing I'd like better than to join you guys at the field today, but sadly or perhaps happily depending on your perspective, I'm in Boston for my nephew's graduation. He's graduating Magna Cum Laude from Tufts University with a B.S. in Computer Engineering, and can you believe he'll be pulling down 6 figures with a $25,000 signing bonus working for Microsoft in Seattle starting at the beginning of August, and he's only 20 years old [X(] Needless to say his parents are super proud.

Anyways, I'm dying to get together with you and Anthony. Every time I fly with other Pattern guys I always learn something new that helps me get better. It's unfortunate that I usually work weekends so my schedule doesn't match up with most others, but none the less hopefully soon!

Here's the graphs I promised last night. It's volts, amps and watts for a complete Intermediate Sequence with a full throttle run up at the beginning and a full throttle run up after landing. With all the esc/BEC changes I made I believe this is not a true full power blast for the YGE as my throttle is limited to 90% right now, but I'll try to correct that next time. Regardless this motor/prop/esc combo is definitely efficient. I had no need to use full power in flight, and the uplines were still crazy fast, BUT you can see from the graphs I'm barely hitting 2000 watts on the uplines. In true geek form I tried looking at the graphs to see if I could "read" the manuveurs and sure enough if you follow the graph logically you can see 1. full throttle run 2. Takeoff 3. 1/2 Cuban before entering the box 4. First 1/2 of the full Cuban etc. etc. all the way to the landing and the full throttle run afterwards. To be fair the wind was calm and the conditions truly ideal, but the take away for me is that this combo, although expensive, has taken e-power to a new level. C.M.'s comment to me about the YGE with the Advanced was that "it's the smoothest running motor ever!" and I have to agree. Not to mention that the batteries, motor, and esc came down every time luke warm or even stone cold and honestly guys I am not exaggerating. Anways, I'm probably gonna post a similar comment in the Advanced motor thread. I just love this plane, and the new motor is a big part of that.

I didn't get RPM at the end but the beginning spike had RPM on my GloBee of 6200.

Cheers Everyone!

Joe

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 AM
cmoulder

Joe, it may be too early to declare the Advance the best 1:1 motor ever, but it's mighty impressive. JLachow's was only slightly warm after flying Masters sequence in very high winds yesterday, and he doesn't have a whole gob of venting in the Xigris.

What battery were you flying for these graphs?

Congrats on your nephew's graduation and accomplishments! Great to hear that at least some of the top scholars are being rewarded appropriately in this abysmal economy.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug,
Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I get for not being more careful. I see in post #3 where he listed what was in it when he weighed it. Still impressive!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM
2Sunny

Joe, it may be too early to declare the Advance the best 1:1 motor ever, but it's mighty impressive. JLachow's was only slightly warm after flying Masters sequence in very high winds yesterday, and he doesn't have a whole gob of venting in the Xigris.

What battery were you flying for these graphs?

Congrats on your nephew's graduation and accomplishments! Great to hear that at least some of the top scholars are being rewarded appropriately in this abysmal economy.

Thanks Bob. I'm so sorry to have missed the competition too especially since Joe was flying an Advanced! The batteries in the chart are 2nd season Rhino's. I have 3 sets and they are still the most powerful batteries I own. I don't have a lot of cycles on them and I don't know how long they will hold up, plus I know not everyone has had the same luck that I have had, but for me they have been a super value buy.

Joe
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Jetdesign

Hey Joe, can you snap a pic of the front motor mount installation? I am curious about trying to fit that mount on my Integral.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 AM
SchiBru

Because I am really satisfied with my new Pegasus from X-treme composite, I will show you any pictures.
In my mind, it´s a great advantage to have the possibilty at X-treme composite to order your personal color scheme for a really small additional amount. No other high end F3A company is able to do this. It is important for me, to get my "own" model and not one of five, eight or more models which have the same design at each competition.
X-treme composite is able to make each ( and they mean withhin each!) color scheme; only any pictures of the wanted scheme are needed.
My scheme is a small modified scheme of a new japanese model called " Excalibur".
I saw this scheme at the net and fall in love immediately. Simple but looks great in my mind.
You see the result at the following pictures, which show my Pegasus PH II.
The flightweight is 2790 grams with the Hacker Q 80 13 XS, Spin 99 pro ( without cooling part, save 35 grams), TP G6 25C 10s 5000 mAH, Futaba receiver and BLS servos, RX-battery TP 720 2s, Power box switch and lightweight prop Mezjlik 20x13 ( 39 grams)
This 2 blade prop needs 74 Amps with t0o much power for my mind and hard for me to control in constant speed.
In the meantime, I fly with the Ulsamer 3 blade 20x13. ( model weight over all 4835 gramst)
The Q 80 13XS needs with this prop only 77 Amps at 6240 U/min. Don´t know why, but controlled with same result several times.
I am more than happy with this combo. GREAT!
Really smooth and slow if wanted; really powerfull but never to fast if needed at storm.
No further comments to the flight performance. I want a small advantage at futured competitions.
Thanks to X-treme composite and Mr. H. Hatta for a great model; Rainer Hacker and GĂĽnther Ulsamer for a great drve combo.
The X-treme Pegasus is available for Europe at Lorenz Modelltechnik and for US at Chris Moon (F3A Unlimited).

Bruno Schiffler / Germany
Robbe/Futaba team-pilot, Hacker team-pilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96987.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1810201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57902.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1810202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91679.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1810203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27500.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1810204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65476.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1810205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89255.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	1810206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wz51426.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1810207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr60198.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1810208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl89493.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1810209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa21469.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1810210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb22397.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1810211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi41449.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1810212  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 AM
SchiBru

Thank you for the mails /PN:
- sorry, of course the flightweight of my Pegasus with the superlight Mezjlik 20x13 is not like written 2790; it is 4790 gram!
- It seems, the Pegasus is designed for the Hacker Q 80 s. This is the motor, Mr. Hatta use also. The right CG should be no problem with this parts.
But to get the right CG with the new Q 80 XS ( approx. 100 grams lighter) in combo the new superlight props and the light Marquet-cone I have to find a new solution to place the batterie.
Please see pictures.
The plate for the rudder-servo is fixed with 4 screws and very easy to remove. This plate take the Powerbox digi switch and receiver downside and fixed the batterie also.
This save any add. weight because of very short cables.
My solution to fix the batterie with a carbon tube works in many models with conventionally placed horizontally batteries since more than 2000 flights without one failure and at the Pegasus
with the upright batterie also.
The receiver batterie TP 2s 720 mAh have more than enough capacity for 8 flights. Why I prefer a charging outside the models ( and a very fast changing at competitions), I built a
lightweight ( 9 grams) batteriebox.

best regards

Bruno

Name:	Yw68549.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1810462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91638.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1810463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23141.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1810464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25061.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1810465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41543.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1810466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33894.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1810467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60091.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1810468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge16732.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1810469  

Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 AM
SchiBru

the last pictures

Name:	Ge95830.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1810470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23358.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1810471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13321.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	1810472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77797.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1810473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53893.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1810474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88476.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1810475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35361.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1810476  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.