Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New Griffin by Xtreme Composite

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Griffin by Xtreme Composite

Took 2 quick pics of the yellow version fuse - will take pics of the wings etc and post more pics tomorrow just ran out of time today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47911.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1828951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33442.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1828952  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Really like the yellow version Chris. Good looking plane. I'm sure this will be a hot seller at the price it's being offered at.

C
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

Took 2 quick pics of the yellow version fuse - will take pics of the wings etc and post more pics tomorrow just ran out of time today
If there is a chin cowl, can someone post a couple photos of the front end with cowl off please?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

No Matt. I've seen on a Naunce where a guy cut one for himself. I don't think it's hard to do. I'll have one in a day or two I'll psot some pics. I plan on doing a build thread. Mike
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM
MTK

Hi Mike,
How is the motor accessed? If it's from the canopy side, that's fine too...Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Chris Moon

Some internal pics. Will get more once my demo plane returns to me.

Name:	Rp44811.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1831962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94409.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	1831963  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
wildwillie3

Mike, what are you going to use for motor and servo's

Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

Some internal pics. Will get more once my demo plane returns to me.
Forgive a question from a Composite Newbie is the position of the back support on the motor adjustable? I.e. would there be room for a Pletty Advance in there instead of the Q80?

Thanks,
Peter+
(hoping for a Griffin under the Christmas tree this year :-)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM
MTK

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at Ed's up close.

First glance, it would require too much modification to make it do what I want, but we'll see. The price is certainly worth it.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: wildwillie3

Mike, what are you going to use for motor and servo's

Bill
Bill I prefer these for a pattern plane.
Ailerons JR 9411
Elevator JR 3421 x 2
Rudder JR 9711 or 9411.
Ihave recently tried all kinds of cheaper servos in the 5 planes I put together this year. They were the Power HD and I have tested a number of the Turnigy servos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mups53

Here's some video's I did last weekend testing servos. What I have found is the JR servo's are pretty darn good.
ATX is supposed to be introducing a better improved lineup soon. I look forward to testing them. Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
jgg215

Peter,
The rear brace is something you have to set up yourself. There will be no pre-installed brackets attached to the fuse side when you get the model. Having put both Q80 and an Advance in composite fuselages, there should be no problem putting an Advance in this model. It will fit easier than the Q80. If you get a Griffin, I suggest you get on here and ask for motor mounting templates. Also F3a has aluminum mounting brackets for the Advance that should work well.
John
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris or Mike,

What are the recommended incidence settings for the wing and stab ?

Where is the cg ?

Nice product.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
pvogel

Got the Griffin for Christmas! (My wife's a keeper! :-)

I'm a total composite newbie are there any even minimalist instructions out there for the Griffin? I don't want to mess anything up like getting the thrust line wrong or such because I assumed something was set and it wasn't.

Peter+
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM
patternflyer1

Wow. I'd say she is a keeper bro. Nice present. If you need help setting it up, many of us live close and can come give you a hand. I have no idea if there are any instructions, but usually they don't come with them.

Chris
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM
pvogel

Hey Chris! A very nice present indeed! I have a lot to learn and will definitely hit folks up for guidance on this project, waiting for servos and a little bit of hardware before I'm ready to assemble. I was hoping to find an overview of the construction so at least I can plan for it and make sure I have everything I need...

Peter+
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
patternflyer1

They are pretty straight forward really. I usually start with what is built into the thrust ring at the spinner and set my wing and tail incidence off of that. It's a good starting place anyway. Use good glue inside the fuse. I don't use five minute. I use west system usually, mixed most times with micro balloons. The stronger the glue joint needs to be, the less micro balloons I use. I generally sand the spot where a firewall goes lightly. Clean it well and then glue in the firewall. To do this, after figuring where it goes on the firewall, I mount the motor to the firewall. I hang the plane vertically. I use a balsa 1/16" spacer the exact size of my spinner to space the motor away to get the alignment the same as the fuse. The spacer obviously goes in between the spinner and fuse nose ring. I put a prop ( I have one cut super short) on with the spinner and spacer. You may know all this, but maybe it helps someone who doesn't. Fire away if you have questions. Call me if you need. I am almost done with this house flip so I can get back to having a life again soon. This should be my last week on it. Taking tomorrow off to relax and go flying though! Second day off in over a month. Happy to be working though!

Chris
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Guy
Keep it light, and don't put all that stuff in it, like the Vanquish

Think about the "KISS" rule ?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM
patternflyer1

Also, I'm not sure what hardware this comes with, but I could put you a standard list of the stuff I use if you want when I put one together. I went with deps on my nuance elevators and couldn't be happier as I don't have to deal with 2 Elevator servos.

I may still get a Griffin. Would do a build thread if I did, but would probably not help you as it would be a month or 2 till I decide.

C
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Flyer88

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

They are pretty straight forward really. I usually start with what is built into the thrust ring at the spinner and set my wing and tail incidence off of that. It's a good starting place anyway. Use good glue inside the fuse. I don't use five minute. I use west system usually, mixed most times with micro balloons. The stronger the glue joint needs to be, the less micro balloons I use. I generally sand the spot where a firewall goes lightly. Clean it well and then glue in the firewall. To do this, after figuring where it goes on the firewall, I mount the motor to the firewall. I hang the plane vertically. I use a balsa 1/16'' spacer the exact size of my spinner to space the motor away to get the alignment the same as the fuse. The spacer obviously goes in between the spinner and fuse nose ring. I put a prop ( I have one cut super short) on with the spinner and spacer. You may know all this, but maybe it helps someone who doesn't. Fire away if you have questions. Call me if you need.

Chris

Thank you for the details!
I always wondered how others did that process.
We all have our own system or method but its wonderfully eye opening to compare notes.
Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at Ed's up close.

First glance, it would require too much modification to make it do what I want, but we'll see. The price is certainly worth it.
Decided against this model. Just isn't set-up the way I need....

I have something else in mind which isalso made by Xtreme Composite...same price too and I know and trust the designer
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: jarvis johnson

Hey Guy
Keep it light, and don't put all that stuff in it, like the Vanquish

Think about the ''KISS'' rule ?
The second vanquish has a lot less in it.

Peter+
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

They are pretty straight forward really. I usually start with what is built into the thrust ring at the spinner and set my wing and tail incidence off of that. It's a good starting place anyway. Use good glue inside the fuse. I don't use five minute. I use west system usually, mixed most times with micro balloons. The stronger the glue joint needs to be, the less micro balloons I use. I generally sand the spot where a firewall goes lightly. Clean it well and then glue in the firewall. To do this, after figuring where it goes on the firewall, I mount the motor to the firewall. I hang the plane vertically. I use a balsa 1/16'' spacer the exact size of my spinner to space the motor away to get the alignment the same as the fuse. The spacer obviously goes in between the spinner and fuse nose ring. I put a prop ( I have one cut super short) on with the spinner and spacer. You may know all this, but maybe it helps someone who doesn't. Fire away if you have questions. Call me if you need. I am almost done with this house flip so I can get back to having a life again soon. This should be my last week on it. Taking tomorrow off to relax and go flying though! Second day off in over a month. Happy to be working though!

Chris
Thanks Chris!

I plan to use an Advance (which I already have) since this is a nose ring mount system, I've ordered the Advance aluminum mount from F3AUnlimited, so I assume in this case the "firewall" is the rear support mounts? The nose ring appears to have been reinforced already and has some pre-drilled holes, but I'm inexperienced enough with composite planes that I'll have Jon or Dale take a look before I go too far.

Peter+
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
patternflyer1

Wasn't sure what motor you were using. The firewall for you will only be two small pieces to mount the rear mount. I really like Chris's mounts for the advance. Very light and well designed (thanks Chad!).
I did find that I like to use something a bit thicker than 1/8" material to make the rear mount support pieces. I found that with the torque of the advance, it can dimple the fuse sides if the material is too thin. I use 1/4" material now and make it a bit longer than I did with other motors.

C
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
patternflyer1

I assume you are talking about the shinden Matt.. I always liked the looks of Bryan's planes. Wanted a shinden but never got one. Looked like it flew really well. Glad to see the redevelopment for weight.

C
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris Moon

The company Griffin is back from it's demo travels over the last 6+ months so I can post some detail pics of the insides. This plane was fitted with a Himax F3A motor and Castle 80HV controller. The outrunner required a custom firewall to be fabricated and I have a template if anyone needs one. The rudder is standard pull-pull with the standard horn (bolt) included in the kit. The aileron and elevator horns were replaced by F3A Unlimited hardware pieces and custom made C/F tube with threaded end pushrods and 2-56 ball links at the servo arms. Standard MK tailwheel assembly was used for the back end.

Name:	Us52953.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1835114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77744.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1835115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46327.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1835116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83815.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1835117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41454.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1835118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13024.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1835119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln12232.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1835120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90680.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1835121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On94690.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1835122  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.