Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

How hot is too hot to fly?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hot is too hot to fly?

Well, trying to practice for upcoming contest.

Right now, 107 outside (feels like 111). By the time I get to the field, it will be above 110 and feels like 115 degrees.
Going to be "Hot" tomorrow (above what we have today).

Been like this for a while.

Now. in electric, heat is one problem.

How hot is too hot to fly especially for our batteries/motor/ESC ?

I don't like the high outside temp, but still do fly. Will the equipment stay good?

I've had couple of 20c packs that came out over 140 degrees (balloon like).

How do you cool them down? I've seen some Japanese using PC Fans to cool the motor/esc when plane is on the ground.

Ihncheol
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: How hot is too hot to fly?

Ihncheol, Having lived in the desert for almost 7 years now I do know the brain will overheat before your batteries or motor.
Seriously though, I've flown up to about 104-105 out and it's not fun but doable. The hottest my batteries have gotten was ~118 and motor around 125 - 128. I have a old computer fan that I hook up to a 12v 7amp starting battery for cooling. Keep your flights short and put the fan in front of the nose right after landing.

maustin
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
PatternFlyer

maustin,

I flew yesterday. by the time I went to the field, it was 114 degrees.
My Hacker C50 came out 156. Batteries between 120 ~ 130 degrees. 7.5 min flying.

At 10:30pm when I got home it was still 105 outside.

Since I got the entire plane used, I better ask around for the temp on C50. I think it may be a little too high.

Are you running outrunner?

Gotta fly this Wednesay for a few practice flight before the weekend at Omaha, NE.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Yes, running a Himax all last summer. It helps to trim off the nose on the spinner to help airflow to the motor too.

maustin
Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Bill Clark

ORIGINAL: PatternFlyer

I've had couple of 20c packs that came out over 140 degrees (balloon like).

How do you cool them down? I've seen some Japanese using PC Fans to cool the motor/esc when plane is on the ground.

Ihncheol
Bob Violet sells a piece of aluminum that you rest the packs on to wick the heat out so something along those lines. putting the pack in a ziploc bag then into a shollow bucket of water would probabley be effective too. I shorten my flights, as mentioned above
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
NeilRivera

I usually remove my packs after a flight and set them in front of a fan at the clubhouse and it cools them down nicely. My flight time is around 5 minutes or so for the intermmediate routine and I fly my Wind S Pro quite fast. The packs come down at around 115 degrees , the hottest I've seen was 125. I recharge when they are below 100 degrees. Now on my Hacker powered Wind 50 the lipo's come down usually at the same temperature but the motor is a little hotter ( around 130 ) but still good. I read somewhere that if you touch a motor after a flight it should not hurt you, if it does then it is definitely too hot...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Bill Clark

I have always usedoutside motor temp as an indicator but have found it can not tell the true story. here is 2 snapshot of a test flight showing amps, airspeed, and motor temp taken from a sensor embedded in the windings. the other pic is rpm and temp. the intersting thing is the full throttle upline followed by a downline at 330sec can build heat quick. outside can temp was less than 100deg after this flight. this data was in 80deg weather. I think I'll check it next time out in the 100deg heat we have know
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27282.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1792617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48573.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1792618  
Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
PatternFlyer

Neil,

5 min? How fast are you flying?
My intermediate flying last 7.5 min from take off to landing. I just can't fly that fast at all. Even with 62" Osiris, I fly about 6.5 min for intermediate sequence.
I take my battery out mostly right after landing. I don't taxi the pattern planes. So far more damages doing it even with 3" wheels.

Bill,
what sequence were you flying? Master's or FAI?
That 345 seconds temp peak seems abrubt. What motor/esc combo is it? Max amp was 59.xx
I will check the BVM for the aluminum sheet.

IP
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Bill Clark

this is a 8s setup in my wind 110. futaba motor, cc100. the big spike is climbing at the rate of the others but it was at full throttle longer than the rest
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
bandagbilly

I had this same question so I asked the service tech at Hacker what the temperature would have to climb to to damage my C50 Comp 13XL. He said they were ok up to 170 deg. This seems awful high, but I am flying in 104 degree weather here in So. Cal., but the motor only reached 135 deg. flying the Masters Sequence. So I think someone would really have to push these motors hard or be having other issues to get them up that high.

Bill...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Bill Clark

I have one of their A50 outrunnersin a heli. the can temp goes to 190deg in 5min. I dont even want to know what the core temp is. I have had it apart and it looks brand new. They use some bad azz adhesives in their motors
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
NeilRivera

My bad - I failed to mention that my timer starts only when throttle up so it is not running all the time ! 7.5 minutes seems about right, I am going to set it to run constantly on my next flight with the intermmediate routine...
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 AM
PatternFlyer

Since I hit 159 on 114 degree ambient temp, I hope it is ok.
I just opened the 14XL yesterday for gearbox re-greasing. not much grease left (dry?)
Gotta try today to see how hot it comes down.

Neal,
now I understand what you meant.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

I am sure that is perfectly fine. Don't worry about temperature or issues in that plane and jus fly. Make sure to grease gearbox every 30-40 flights or when gets too moisy. I logged 100's of flights in that plane in 7 years.