Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Bullet Connector Size

Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
tewalker01
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullet Connector Size

For those of you that use bullet connectors between your ESC and motor: Is there some specific size that we should be using or does it vary depending on the ESC / motor combination? I have seen everything from 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 4.5mm, 5.0mm and even 6.0mm. I'm curious if the size and type of connectoraffects theESC/motor efficiency.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Bullet Connector Size

4.0 mm is pretty standard for the connection to the motor. Most motors that have bullets installed use 4mm. I'll use bullets if I expect to have to pull the motor (like to lube and inrunner) otherwise I just solder the wires direct.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4mm is what I use. Pretty standard.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4mm. Make sure the wires are soldered properly and the connection is tight.

I have good luck with the 4mm sold by HobbyKing.com.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Rendegade

I've really grown to love the Eflite EC5 connectors. Big, solid and nigh on impossible to stuff up, which is important for a spastic like me
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
MalteS

4mm Plugs work.
I went away from single plugs however as I shortened my Batteries a couple of times. I'd recommend to use either these red housings for 4mm plugs or a decent alternative. Decent means protection against shorts and reverse polarity.
I selected the green MPX plugs because of the availability over here (the main disadvantage is that they're not GOLDEN) and I use those for all of my planes from Foamie to the 2m F3A pattern ship.
My first alternative would have been XT60.

My 2 ct.

Ah: this site is in German (Google Translate is your friend) but shows recommended max currents (based on measurements) for the different systems we're using.
http://www.elektromodellflug.de/oldp...romstecker.htm

Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Silent-AV8R

I think the OP is talking about the connection between the ESC and the motor on the three wires that run between the two and not the connectors on the batteries themselves.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

i noticed tewalker stated he liked the one that were gold plated. That is fine on the male to female plug end, but for soldering where you solder the leads, it is not good. Why; if you do not pre-tin that gold tab, then the gold gets in the the solder jitand actually makes the solder joint brittle, which can make it fail due to vibration, shock, or it will become a high resistance point in the joint and over time cause that joint to go bad. So, always pre-tin any gold connector you are planning to solder too.