Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Build thread BJ Craft Prolog V2 F3A Unlimited version

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build thread BJ Craft Prolog V2 F3A Unlimited version

JR,

I'll take you up on that! I'll bring my two "magic's" and we can make it a fly day or weekend, as I still have my camper. I would like to do it soon, so I can ready what ever it is I will get (weather permitting of course).

Bill
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
griff7166
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Bholsten

I have the nuance and the griffin. I currenty have put the nuance away . and I have bought another Griffn for this year. I just love the plane. it flys great. and all the guys at the club "the old timers" love it as well. the yellow one is just beutifull and has great visibilty.
I have the himax set up . and I find the plane has plenty of power. I would highly recommend the Griffin

Matt G
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Matt,

The Yellow Griffin is one of my choices. I had another airframe picked out, but that appears to have changed. I know the the F3AUnlimited company plane was received very well. However, I really have not seen much traffic on the flying characteristics, etc. Since, you have one and shelved your Nuance to fly the Griffin, I would like to know your inside input on the main reasons why? Please send me a PM, as I am really interested to what you have experienced with both.

Thanks for the input,..much appreciated.

Bill
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: BHolsten

Is anyone out there fly the FAI/F3A P and F programs with one yet? I would like to hear some feed back on the Prolog V2 in comparison to the stock Nuance (No DTFS wings).

Thanks,

Bill
Bill,

None of these are flying yet. The only one that exists is being assembled as we speak. It is only a new scheme and canopy though over the old Prolog. May have a little more side area, and easier to see, but I don't expect much difference in performance.

Arch
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
jgg215

What are you reccomending for a "properly specified wing incidence"? I assume using the nose ring for the thrust line and the stab is pre-set but the wing incidence is not finalized as received. Should you just glue in the pins or is there some adjustment to be made which you consider would work better?
John
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

John,

The holes are already in the fuse for the recommended incidence. If you just put the pins in the fuse and glue them in, everything will line up correctly. I increased the incidence on my Nuances.

Arch
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
jgg215

Arch,
I increased the incidence from the stock setup in my Nuance as well. I believe that a lot of Nuance flyers have done that.
Kind of why I was wondering if there is a revised standard that requires moving the pins a bit to increase the incidence if not using adjusters on the Prolog (or the Nuance for that matter).
John
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Just to clarify, some advanced level flyers may find it to their liking to install the adjusters and tweak their setups but the stock pin locations result in a great flying plane as is. We get tech calls from guys retrofitting their planes with adjusters and wondering what is wrong with the way their plane is flying only to find out they have the adjusters set to +6 or -5 because they are simply not familiar with setting up their planes and the adjusters. What's worse is that we get reasons like "I read on XYZ" website that you needed adjusters so I put them on or that "such and such" uses them so I must need them too. I guess my point was that 90% of people should just fly the plane stock and THEN once they have a starting reference of flight qualities might decide to add them later if desired. Without staring out with a known quality most people can't tell if he adjusters helped or hurt the setup. This is in no means meant to criticize people it's just that making subtle trim adjustments takes a high level of finesse and doing it wrong will be detrimental to an already good design.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with the Nuance, and I'm sure its the same with the Prolog, is that the plane can be assembled and flown with no need for adjusters. Just put it together and fly it. As Chris says, if you want to tweak something later, it's easy enough to retrofit.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Chris Moon

Brandon (2012 Intermediate NATS Champion) and Mike Mueller did the initial flight testing with Brandon's modified Prolog. This was the basis for the production version with the addition of the less sweep gear and the color scheme changes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57953.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1845734  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris....I sure would like to see the Prolog V2 paint design and colors on the Nuance....
Anybody else like to see this?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Yeah,...I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago after a discussion about the BJ fleet. I would like to see it for sure,....[8D]

bholsten
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM
snowman44

I would like to know if you guys are going to make a forward canopy available for the guys who have the original V1 Prolog? I really like the color scheme as it is. The pink on the plane shows up really well in the air for me. I just added the forward swept gear and can attest that the ground handling is much improved.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Chris Moon

Hi guys, The Nuance can be made in the Prolog V2 color scheme but it is a special order item. The Prolog V2 retro fit canopy onto the V1 can be made as well and we are expecting to get a few - will chk on pricing for them.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Chris Moon

We had a nice weather day and got in 6 flights on the new Prolog V2. The plane is equal to the prolog V1 at the very least and really solid. Not going to post all the typical self serving glowing review statements as people will post I'm sure after we get a chance to let others demo fly the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48538.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1846768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62903.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1846769  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
pvogel

Are you really using the Jeti Mezon 90 (with BEC) or is it the Mezon 95 Opto that you carry on your site? If the 90 with BEC, are you disconnecting the power wire from the ESC and using RX batteries or are you using the BEC as your sole source of power (or some other combination of BEC + RX Batteries)?

Thanks,
Peter+
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Chris Moon

Hey Peter, Sorry my bad - it's the Jeti Mezon 95HV OPTO, I corrected the mistake in the earlier post. Running the OPTO with an 850mah rx battery.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
martair

Hi Guys

I got hooked on these beautiful BJ airplanes!
I live in Dubai and there is no scene for F3A. I DO love however to fly those things and try to do something
decent with these models. We have kind of a little competition going on amongst the 3 of us.

Here is the question :

Monolog, Prolog, Prolog V2, Nuance, Episode!?

Can somebody maybe sum up what the differences are?
Which is best for what?
Isn't the Prolog V2 literally a Nuance?

My favorite is the Nuance though! Just love the design!

Is the Monolog 70 or 110 even worth considering?(not instead of course, more as a backyard addition!)
F3A Unlimited has them very cheap and I might be able to take one with me on one of my regular trips to New York!

Thank you very much guys, your honest and professional opinion is very much appreciated!

With my best Regards from Dubai

Martin
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
shannah

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Martin

If you have a few minutes, check out the designer's notes regarding the planes at this website: http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=bjreference1

I can kind of sum it up. The Prolog is a great flying plane that is biased towards the fliers new to pattern. One of BJ's comments comes to mind with this airframe: If you are an accomplished IMAC flier you will feel comfortable with this design because it is a bit more responsive than some other designs. The Nuance flies just as its name implies. It rewards finesse. The Nuance is extremely capable at F3A sequences and is more suited towards the F3A P and AMA masters type sequences. It has a wider flight envelope than the Prolog, in my opinion. But, the Nuance may be a bit more challenging than the Prolog.

The Episode is a different airframe altogether. Straight up, it is hard to say it is better than the Nuance at the precision sequences such as P13. But when you start flying the F13 type sequences and some of those crazy unknown maneuvers then the Episode really excels. I think it's got a more consistent speed and presentation than the Nuance.

So, the message is to ask yourself what you are flying, where your skill level is at and what you are looking for. The majority of fliers would be really happy with the Prolog or Nuance. The Episode is a bit more of a handful due to the rudder authority and capability. I love the Nuance's turn key capability and overall performance. But I am choosing to fly the Episode because it is so fun at the F13 type sequence.

I don't know if I helped you at all. But you really can't go wrong. Just be honest with yourself and assess where you are at.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Hey Martin
Steve did a good job of summing it up.
The Monolog 2 Meter is a lot like the Prolog V1 but has a built up fuse versus the Prologs composite.
The difference between the Prolog SE or Version 2 from the Classic Prolog is the canopy, paint scheme and the landing gear has less sweep.
It's modern versus retro. We have a shipment of both due in 1 month along with more Episode ARF's and Nuance ARF's and the V2 Prolog in ARC version.
The remaining Monolog series is on sale.
Thanks, Mike Mueller

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all,

I've been out of RC for quite a few years. Got back in a year or so ago. I'm flying a Great Planes revolver and Sequence pattern electric.

Trying to get the thumbs back. I would like to go no a "next level" pattern electric.

BJ Craft,Sebart etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pete
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
martair

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies!
As I mentioned, I am not doing any competition, so ANY of these models might not make sense to some of you.
But I am certainly NOT the guy that buys a Sebart Wind S110 and flies it around like a war bird, with low passes only!
One thing I always wanted to be able to do, and I currently am is one roll in one circle! Love that maneuver!
I just love these planes and would finally like to own and fly a "real", current F3A model.
And I recently gave my Wind 110 to a colleague.

I will be trying a biplane now with the Miss Wind 50 that I will pick up in Switzerland after my holidays.
It`s been built since a long time but since I am not living there anymore been lying around doing nothing.
Always thought I would have the chance to fly it sometime, kept it as an option.

For the time being I am considering the Monolog 110, at this price it`s hard to say no!?
Can anybody share some information about the characteristics of this model?

Mike:
My problem is the transport to Dubai!
I have 2 shipping alternatives at hand. For both I would need the exact dimensions and the weight.
Any chance you could give me the datas?
With this I could check my possibilities.
Was hoping to get to New York next month, but it seems not to be the case :-(

Best Regards

Martin
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: plaurence

Hi all,

I've been out of RC for quite a few years. Got back in a year or so ago. I'm flying a Great Planes revolver and Sequence pattern electric.

Trying to get the thumbs back. I would like to go no a "next level" pattern electric.

BJ Craft,Sebart etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pete
Pete the Monolog 2Meter is really good and on sale right now. That or the Monolog 110 would be good and inexpensive. Mike
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

I recently bought the 2M Monolog... The support is great, the kit is outstanding for the price and the combo really helps save as well.

I have tried to second guess the completeness of the kit, however, it is all there. You just have to put it together...

Larry Diamond

Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 AM
martair

Hi guys

After getting some information from you guys I gave it a lot of thought on how to proceed and what model to buy, if any at all at this time!?
Well I managed to sell two other of my models which gave me the freedom and the funds for something new. But what???
It seems that the Prolog would be best for me. But I like the Nuance better with the forward canopy.
Now there is a Prolog SE V2 which should be perfect then!
Apparently you guys wished for "not pink" which ended in the quite colorful new design of the P2.
I was tempted to get the ARC version, but then this is a lot of work! [X(]
And is it as good as the factory one???? []
Things changed when I was offered to get the P2 in the colors of the P1!
In about 2 weeks I should get my model and intend to post the progress of my building here! (if there is any interest!?)
Looking forward to the Prolog SE V2!

Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.