Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

1992 Modeltech Saphir II-4T designed by Wolfgang Matt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
JSchoolcraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Modeltech Saphir II-4T designed by Wolfgang Matt

Just picked up this plane at the Classic Pattern Contest this weekend. It has an Aveox 1415/3Y motor with a 3.7:1 gearbox. The prop is a 15x8 APC. I weighed the plane with everything but the batteries and it comes out to about 6.5lbs. It has a wingspan of about 70". I am trying to figure out what batteries to use in the plane. It used to run on either NiCd or NiMh, not sure which he ran before. I plan on using LiPos, but not sure on the configuration yet. Any help or input would be great. Also would love to know if anyone has the plans for this plane so I could find the proper CG starting point. Hoping to get this up and running soon, it's a beautiful plane, I'll post photos when I get a chance.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 AM
80sPattern

Default RE: 1992 Modeltech Saphir II-4T designed by Wolfgang Matt

Jamie, this should help you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=beach+flyer

Doug
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
JSchoolcraft

Thanks Doug! Mine looks to be a slightly different model than his. Looks like I will have to remove the wing to swap batteries, unless I can figure out a way to make the canopy removable and build a shelf inside or something. I ran some tests, and a 10s seemed a little much and was running at about 75-80 amps, and 2000 watts or so. 8s was about 1100watts and 45-50amps. Haven't tried 6s yet, waiting for the receiver pack to charge. Just tested a 6s and it was in the 650-700w range and pulled 30-35amps. The prop is a 15x8, and I currently don't have a tach, so have no clue on the rpm yet. Looks like the hot ticket is 8s, but the safe one is the 6s. If I go 8s I am definitely going to have to figure out some motor cooling!!! Plan on doing better tests this weekend.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
80sPattern

Jamie,

My Conquest gives me almost 1600 watts on 6s. Assuming that you plane will be about 9 to 10 pounds I think you should shoot for 1500 to 1600 watts. You've seem my C4e fly, it has enough power.

I think you need to play with props to get what you need power wise. I tried and 5 different props before I settled on the APC e13 x 10. The other idea might be a new motor. Sounds like this is an older one if the guy used to run Nicads.

Battery swap via the wing is a non-starter in my opinion. WAY too much hassle. You will not be happy. Figure a hatch system.

Doug

PS - I think you will get more help over in the RCG Classic Pattern Section. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 AM
JSchoolcraft

Well I am beginning to think to get the kind of power I want, I may just have to do a larger motor and new speed controller.  I am not super concerned about the battery swap at this time since this will only be for Classic Pattern contests.  I have a few other planes I fly frequently.  And my eventual Classic plane is going to be an EU-1A that will be electric.  I got this one to get up in the air quick with classic.  A little more work than I had bargained for thus far!  LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
JSchoolcraft

Getting closer.  Here are some photos of the work thus far:

Preparing for battery tray:

Upgrading the tailwheel:

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
JSchoolcraft

Well I have it finished, put in a new power plant and ended up running an 8s setup.  I am waiting for the batteries to recharge now to see how many mah were used.  Flew for 6 minutes and had pretty much unlimited vertical!!  Much more work than I had originally intended went into this plane, but man is it looking like it will be a VERY nice electric classic!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
JSchoolcraft

Ok, so after the 6 minute flight with a lot of vertical and various passes and general flying the capacity used was 2440mah out of my 4000mah packs!  I am thinking this setup will be awesome!!  The true test is when I actually fly through the sequence I used in Arvin.  If I have enough battery with the type of power I had earlier today, I will be more than pleased!!!