Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2M Monolog Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2M Monolog Build

You have a great attitude. I am glad you are safe (and alive). I was driving my sisters car in NJ last week, so was being extra careful. I looked both ways, twice, and pulled out of a side street and was welcomed into the lane by a speeding car blowing a horn as he was pulling off an exit ramp at probably 70mph onto a 35mph speed limit.

I have a m-cycle license. I loved riding in VT where there were few cars on the road. I moved to cincinnati and the risk of an accident due to other drivers increased exponentially, so I sold my bike. I am fine with self-imposed risk, but I am not OK with getting creamed by another texter - uh I mean driver?

I struggle a lot with 'life' getting in the way of flying. It looks like it got your too for a little while. It seems like a silly thing to remember that we have so many years ahead of us to fly airplanes, but somehow it's hard. Speaking of which I need to paint my bathroom so I can get back to building tomorrow

Again, I commend you on the attitude. It spreads, so it's nice to see/hear.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa Larry that's a severe impact. Glad to hear your alright. Mike
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Yep, speed limit was 35... How fast you thing he was going...? No horn and no brakes... took a direct hit...
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM
DRC1

OK, back at it...

I needed to sand down the wing tube. I measured with calipers and the sleeve is a nominal 25mm inside diameter. MUPS told me he normally wet sands the wing tube to fit. So, this is what I did.

I started out with 220 grit until the tube measured about 25.10mm. Then I went to 400 grit. Once I got the wing tube at around 25.05mm it fit albeit snug.

I decided it is good for now taking the advice of RCPattern's earlier post. I fit the wings with the alignment pins (dry fit for alignment pins) and everything fit perfectly, albeit snug.

I have ordered Dupont Teflon dry spray lube, which should help with reducing the friction of the fit.

That was all I got done today...

Here is a pic of the 2M Monolog with the wings attached. I really like how the blue is working on this plane...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48436.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1879469  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM
luckymacy

They sent one landing gear axle (bolt) that was just too short to make work and you can see it compared to the right sized one. After running around town to specialty hardware stores with no luck, I dropped into hobby town not expecting to find this at all and by sheer accident found this pack of exactly the same bolts that the kit should have come with. Have no idea what they are really for but now I'm set for life for monolog landing gear bolts.

Also, double check that the blind nuts are really tapped all the way through. One of mine weren't on the landing gear and the bolt seized half way in and luckily I was able to snap the bolt cleanly in half and push the bad nut out and replace it.

Name:	Zx72404.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1879752  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
luckymacy

The easiest way to make a clean burn through for the exit air was to use a 100w soldering iron with flat tip. Also, the kits aren't like the prototype, it's sheeted foam and no stringers. The laser cut wood was not updated to match the production change in a couple of areas and this cutout guide is one of them. No reason to keep the 'stringer' down the middle since there is none.

Name:	Ig13076.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1879757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11670.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1879758  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
DRC1

Alright, back at it. As I stated earlier I finally got the wing tube sanded down and it is very snug in the fuse. Being such, I will take the advice of Mike and just leave it there. The other advice I took was using teflon on the wing tube. I opted for the Dupont Teflon Dry Lube (came in today) and man it solved the rest of the problem. Only used it on the wing tube, not in the wing sleeves. Great fit and a little snug with zero play.

All the alignment pins fit perfectly. Now all I need to do is glue the donuts around the pins per the instructions.

Here is a pic of the fuse and alignment pins installed...

Name:	Nl30479.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1879773  
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
DRC1

Back to posting... Donuts are glued in on the wing alignment pins... This was a bit tricky as I'm not using much CA on his plane, mostly small dabs of 30min epoxy...

I opted to dry fit all the donuts on the pins in their proper place. I used a pair of hemostats to manage the donuts closest to the wing. For the front pins, I only epoxied the inside donuts and let them dry. I came back and epoxied the donuts closest to the wing. I cleaned off the pins with alcohol just in case any epoxy got on the outside, not likely... but just incase... because, I then took the wings and slide them so that the outside of the pin was just inside the wing root rib.

That left about 3/8 inch between the wing and fuse. I was concerned that the pins may not line up perfectly if I just set thedonut and let them dry.

HINT: This is a biggie... If you are setting up for gas/nitro and need therear tray for the battery, Rx, and Throttle Servo... You may want to installit prior to installing the long rear wing alignment pin. I glued the pin first... Now I get to figure out how to get the tray installedfor two Rx batteries, Sensor switch, and a small Rx. I was able to lay it out and get everything to fit if I trimmed the plate down to set it in place.

I tested the Tx andRx electronics. I'm using ATX Servos and the ATX 10ch FHSS3 Rx. I will be using the ATXLow Profile servos (94647)on the ailerons and elevator (2x Elevator), on the Rudder will be the ATX HV HiTorque (94671). The servos fit perfectly into the supplied trays without modifications... Very surprised.

The Monolog won't be making the trip to Muncie to fly as it will not be ready. However, I'll be bringing a Zen 50, good little plane... I might bring the Monolog with me to get some advice from those with much more experience...

LD

Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM
DRC1

Alright, so I've been called out as a loser for bailing out on Muncie (all friendly banter)... LMAO... I feel bad, but I got to do what I got to do...

Took the week off next week. I will finish the Monolog and maiden it by the weekend.

There are some things in this build that the instructions aren't clear about. I will try to take pics and post what I did. Everything is dry fit and looks real good.

Servo were dry fit, but will need to be a craftsman in the tail area to install the mounts properly.

Here is the plane with everything assembled, but not yet glued. Decals put on as it is easier to put them on before installing Ailerons and Stab, elevators, and rudder as it's less bulky to flip around.

Let me know what you think...

Name:	Xv65736.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	1882846  
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
DRC1

Here are the servo trays for the elevator. In the kit there are six servo tray plates which look like only the end piece of a servo tray. This is what I used instead of the full tray in the Elevator and Rudder.

Iused balsa as spacers between the servo mounting plate. It only adds 2 grams for everything and should be sturdy and servos easily installed and aligned with the same amount of servo sticking out on each side of the fuse... Everything was dry fit before gluing, making sure I can install the servos with the servo trays installed.

I made sure there would be a small gap between the servos when installed in the fuse. Again the elevator Servos are ATX Low Profile.

Here are the pics.

Name:	Nk27883.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1883016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64419.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1883017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96050.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	1883018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15407.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1883019  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

U should consider reinforcing the LG plate prior to flying, especially if your flying off grass. Mine tore out today. Landing wasn't that bad.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
DRC1

Thanks for the heads up... I might lay a little light FG on the blocks to beef it up a bit...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 AM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: LD24

Thanks for the heads up... I might lay a little light FG on the blocks to beef it up a bit...
Good idea if you aren't going to be overweight as a result. Our RC club has has a rough grass field and parallel dirt strip that is often too soft/muddy'ish and small wheels just dig right in too easily on landing and have observed a higher rate of gear blocks getting pulled loose our outright torn out due to the moment arm cause by this geometry. Hardly ever happens to landing gear that just extends straight down with no negative rake at our place. I also changed the tires to a slightly larger size that also has a flat surface instead of rounded tread on mine help overcome 'the digs' into the dirt for our field and left the wheel pants off.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM
DRC1

Finished the wings last night except for sealing them. I'll post pics when I can... Not able to get the pics off my camera for some reason. I might take cell phone pics and post... Just not as good...

I glued in the H-Stab last night before I went to bed. It was a bit loose/sloppy and took a lot of patience to get it dialed in. I don't have a jig on the table... It's still in the box...LMAO... The stab came out perfect. ABC geometry is all within 1/2mm to the best of my ability to measure with metric yard stick and a tape measure from wing tip to stab tip.

Letting the glue dry now for filling in gaps in the stab seat area. Will get the elevators and rudder attached in a few minutes...

I purchased CH CF control horns to replace the stock horns. I'm also using Seacraft JR V1 12/15mm Servo Arms on the ATX servo. Nice fit, but a bit on the snug side... much better than loose...

I hade to modify the jig in the kit that is provided for the control surfaces. I just stretch out the slot and made sure the attachment point is above the hinge line. Works great and the CH CF control horns look great as well.

I checked the weight of my motor batteries and was surprised at the consistant weight for all six of them w/ T-Connectors installed andready to plug in the plane... The order is random as it isthe order I put them on the scale:

1 - 622 grams
2- 623 grams
3- 623 grams
4- 622 grams
5 - 624 grams
6 - 622 grams

I was going to try and match pairs by weight, but it seems like that is a non-issue...

I intend to get a total six more batteries at some point.

Batteries are 5S 5000 30C/40C...

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
DRC1

Pictures of the Wing servos and Control Horns installed...

Name:	Gd93619.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1883590   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45499.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1883591  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM
DRC1

Picture of the Elevator and Rudder Servos installed. The Seacraft JR V1 12mm/15mm Servo Arm is what I will use on all control serfaces...

Name:	Rp44491.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1883594  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
DRC1

Picture of the H-Stab glued in and the elevators getting ready for some CA...

Name:	Bz78954.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1883595  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 AM
DRC1

Complete Left and Right Wings on the scale:

Left Wing- 391grams

Right Wing - 397grams

Name:	Nl30302.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1883596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51857.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1883597  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM
DRC1

Stabs are complete except for the push rods... Here is a pic of the left side Control Horns and a pic of rudder and both elevator control horns.

The templates helped a lot. However, the Rudder template was way off. I used a straight edge to align. All the templetes were modified to lenthen the slot for the CH CF Control Horns.

Name:	Tr49738.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1883831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86801.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1883832  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
DRC1

Here is a pic of the 2M Monolog fusewith finished stabs minus the pushrods.

If you notice, I use blue painters tape to lock down the control surfaces. This makes it much easier to manage routing the slots with a dremel and allows for perfect alignment for pushrod length finding mechanical center.

Name:	Pm34817.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1883833  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
DRC1

Has anybody noticed that my workbench is in my living room... ;^)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: LD24

Has anybody noticed that my workbench is in my living room... ;^)
I noticed. Nothing screams I'm single better than a living room workshop!
But hey I like it.
The ML 2M sales have really picked up till the point where we are out till mid July.
It's a "people see people like it kind of plane". Better up front and personal than in pictures.
The plane flys really well.
Here's Steve Striker's ML 2M. He wanted a different scheme. He has told me that's happy with the way the plane flys.
BTW the ML 110 sales have been brsik as of late also. The $245 sale price helps.
Nice build thread Larry. Thanks, Mike

Name:	Ec89955.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1883951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64946.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1883952  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 AM
DRC1

Thanks Mike... All the difficult stuff is done...

I'm going weigh everything today and see if there is a diet it needs to go on. I have a full FG Nomex sheet as well as a full CF Nomex sheet for battery plate and Rx/Rx battery tray.

With painting the canopy, I'm going be very close to 5Kg. I think I gained some weight there and painting the gear and wheel pants. There are some other things I can do, like lower capacity batteries and CF gear and pants if needed.

I'll have a better picture after I weigh everything.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
luckymacy

What incidences are people setting these up to and finally balancing out to? No mention of the incidences in the manual.

The wing and engine both ended up with +1 degree relative to the horizontal stab. I flew with the CG on the forward edge of the wing tube (the manual just says) CG POINT = WING PIPE and the plane flew tail heavy and is carrying some slight negative down trim on the elevators. I've since moved the motor and Rx batteries forward and have the cg now about an inch in front of the wing tube but haven't flown it since.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Lucky

On Taras I am flying the wings, stabs and motor stock. Have not had to move anything on hers, or the two others Ive trimmed.

Arch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.