How to go about setting up a box?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

How to go about setting up a box?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to go about setting up a box?

I came to the conclusion this weekend that I need to come up with a 120 box at home for practice, but don't really have a good idea of how to go about it, at least making an accurate one.

How are all the CD's coming up with their contest boxes? I've thought about seeing if the local rental place has a transit, but have never used one.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Jet Katt

Default RE: How to go about setting up a box?

Hi Wooster, Take a look at this link on the NSRCA website:

http://www.nsrca.net/index.php/all/field/90-fieldlayout

I'm not sure if you have to be a member of the NSRCA.

Ron

Old 06-09-2013, 04:02 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Problem is that's to short of a sight line. If I enlarged that concept and drew out a parallel line on the runway 30' long, then used a 30' long tape measure, and a 15' tape measure and did the same concept. I could come up with a decent sized box which I could paint lines with? That should work fairly well, right?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

For a contest I have used some heavy string and several large nails. First, cut a piece of string about 60 feet long. Tie a nail at each end and one in the center. Place an end nail at the pilots feet and put the center nail straight out in front of the pilot. Draw your first line then remove the center nail and replace it with the other end nail. Now you have a center line painted with nails in each end and the center nails in your hand. Walk out to the side until the lines are evenly taught and push the center nail in the ground. Now you have an equilateral triangle which all sides are 60 degrees. Paint your leg then walk the center nail to the opposite side and paint your last leg. Hard to explain but easy to do.

For practice I get three yard sticks. Place them together and drill a hole in one end. Find a few piece of scrap wood about 3x5. 1/8 ply works well. Drill a hole at the center near the edge. Drill a second hole directly up from that near the opposite edge. These two hole will locate your centerline. Measure 60 degrees from the center and drill hole on each side. The idea is one hole is the pivot that each leg is anchored to and the othe holes locate the legs. For practice I put it by my feet and use either landscaping flags or local land marks for poles.

Wow, is that hard to follow. I have to leave will try to add some pics and clarify.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use 3 yardsticks as well. I drill a 1/4" hole thru at each end 1/2" from each end. I stack all 3 and put a 1/4" bolt and lock nut thru at one end...this is the vertex. I use string fishing line (exactly 35" long) to tie from hole to hole at the other end. Unfold and with the lines tight you have a yardstick vertex. (35" from hole to hole centers) With long string and a second person you can use it paint lines on the ground. I keep it in the car and just use it to pick out a tree for each end of the box before takeoff at places where no box is available.

Mark
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 PM
grantb

Take a length of string. The longer the better. I use 20m (+-60ft) nylon chord used for clotheslines.

Fold it into 3 equal lengths. Tie a knot in the two folds and join the two loose ends together.

You know have a triangle with 3 equal sides. The inside angles are each 60degrees so it does not matter which side is which.

Place one corner at the pilot position and one side pointing to the centre flag.

Pull the other two sides taught. This will be the 60deg angle to the one corner flag.

Flip the triangle over (keeping the side that points to the centre flag). This is the 60deg pointing to the other corner flag.

We use an electronic range finder (used by golfers) to range the distance. 150m to centre flag and 300m to corner flags. I made up some 50mm (2") pvc pipes with plumbing fittings. 3 lengths gives me 4.5m with a cloth flag. The pvc poles are strapped to a fence "Y" dropper hammered into the ground.

String folds up small and can be taken along anywhere.