Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Jeti Mezon ESCs

Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jeti Mezon ESCs

I ran my first bench test of the Jeti Mezon 90 ESC yesterday. The setup consisted of a Pletty EVO, the Mezon 90, a Jeti Duplex R9 receiver and the Jeti Duplex DS-16 transmitter. Programming was easy with the JetiBox, although a little bit more complicated than programming the Jeti Spin series ESCs.

I bought the non opto version of the ESC, because I wanted the built in BEC which I can program to 8 volts to run my HV servos and keep the 2 cell LiPo backup battery charged. In addition to the BEC, the ESC also has built in Telemetry sensors that send data to the receiver which in turn sends it to the transmitter where it can be displayed and/or logged for analysis at a later time. The parameters that I selected to log include the following:
Battery pack voltage
Battery pack current
BEC voltage
BEC current
Capacity (mAh used)
RPM
Temperature (of the ESC)
Run Time
PWM

These parameters can be reviewed after each flight on the transmitter display which could warn you if something was changing that could cause major problems. For example, if the motor current was getting higher and higher you would stop before it burned out the ESC as well as the motor. Of course the system also lets you set alarms that would warn you audibly if some minimum or maximum was exceeded. The PWM is an interesting addition. You can see for sure that the ESC is going to 100% duty cycle at full throttle.

I set up a throttle curve in the transmitter based on previous experience along with a throttle cut for safety reasons and an idle up/down to go from idle to brake at low throttle stick position. Typically I switch to Brake right after take off and leave it there until after landing, then switch to idle to taxi back.

I set the idle switch high and the throttle cut off during my startup procedure. The idea is to check the radio before arming the ESC. The ESC sends a descending tone to indicate it isn't armed at this point. Then I toggle the TC on which arms the ESC (ESC sends ascending tone) and back off which should put the motor in idle. On the first try it didn't start so I started bumping up the throttle trim. When it did start it must have been at about 200 rpm and it was too smooth to believe. I eventually set the idle up to about 580 rpm after measuring a low of 184 rpm. So now it starts with the flip of a switch and idles at 580 with no hesitation, reversing or kicking, smooth as silk. Response was great from idle to wide open. It is ready to fly.

I'm anxious to try it on the Neu motor with and without the Contra Drive. Motors with gear boxes always seem to have a fairly rough start.

So far I'd say Jeti has raised the bar on ESC performance.

Jim O
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jeti Mezon ESCs

Hi,
Nice combination with the Master Mezon ESC and DS-16 radio.
I have a Master Mezon also (but Futaba 14MZ radio) and I have the BEC version and use it together with a Scorpion Backup Guard.
So far it works great after about 150 flights.

I do not have the throttle setup like You have but I haveThrottle cut set (a rotary dial on my Futaba configured so
when dial is to left the Throttle is cut Offand dial to right it is On), and Fail safe is set also of course so if signal is lost throttle is off (and all control surfaces hold).
It is alsothe On/Off switch on the Master Mezon ESC for some safety, I'm not sure how many cycles it will hold.

There are many seizes of the Master Mezon now, from the 75 to 165, in various configurations (with or without BEC,Light version
with shrinktube and RMP version for helis with V-Bar Governor).Master Mezon are all on the expensive side but hopefully You get what You pay for.

I check my Master Mezon regulary with my Jeti box connected and so far all values are fine and no Status error codes or Alarms.

As far as I know and have read (other has asked Jeti) the Master Mezon has a protection built in for over voltage if the BEC would fail so then
full voltage of LiPo motor pack will not rush to receiver (instead a second battery like Scorpoin Backu Guard will take over and give power to
receiver and servos). If for some reason the LiPo battery for motor that give power to BEC would fail in some way and voltage get 5 volt or less
the Scorpion Backup Guard will take over. Backu Guard gives 5 voltone way output so as long as main power is higher then 5 voltthe Backup Guard
will notbe drained.

/Bo
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Jeti also offers an opto version of Mezon which optically isolates the throttle signals from the high voltage circuitry in ESC. So the use case of absolutely no risk of high voltage dumped to the receiver is covered :-).

It will be very interesting to know what RPM numbers the Mezon can achieve with different motors.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Jeti also offers an opto version of Mezon which optically isolates the throttle signals from the high voltage circuitry in ESC. So the use case of absolutely no risk of high voltage dumped to the receiver is covered :-).

It will be very interesting to know what RPM numbers the Mezon can achieve with different motors.
Here's some static numbers:

Neu F3A
Falcon 20.5x14.5
Voltage 37.1 V
Current 76 A
RPM 6272

The Neu would not start at the idle RPM of 500. I had to jog the throttle stick to start and then back down to idle at 500.

That brings up a good question, what is a good idle rpm? Perhaps 500 is too slow?

Jim O
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 AM
bem

Hi,

My setup:

Master Mezon 130 with BEC (I use the BEC, set to 6 volt for feeding receiver and servos - I have a Scorpion Backup Guard also if BEC fail)
Motor Hacker A60-7XS
Battery ThunderPower G8 Pro Lite 25C 8 cell (4 cell x 2 inseries) 5000 mAh
Model Sebart MythoS 125E
Propeller Falcon electric carbon V2 19x12E (with Falcon electric carbon spinner 75 mm)
Maxcurrent 76-77 amp
BEC max current recorded: 1.0 amp (during 7 min flight - I use Futaba BLS153 in elevators, Futaba S9551 on ailerons and rudder, and Futaba R6308SBT receiver)
ESC max temp in flight (on hot summer day) is 50 deg Celcius
Max RPM in flight 7170
Min voltage 27.1
mAh consumed during a 7 min flightabout 4000 mAh

I can not start my motor on low RPM on ground, it starts around 900 rpm and then I can bring it down to about 400 rpm manually with throttle before the engine stop.
Just tried it with Jeti Box attached to the Master Mezon and could see the RPM in the display.
I suppose it is the magnetic forces in the motor that need to be overcomed and the initial RPM to get the motor to spinn then needs to behigher?

As for the brake in the Master Mezon I use after some experimentation (but I'm sure it can be enhanced more in hands of a more skilled person then me):
Brake begin pwr: 20%
Brake end pwr: 56%
Break dead time: 0,0 sek
Break speed: 0,3 sek

/Bo
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM
woodie

Just a quick note on the Jeti Mezon ESCs. In some testing here in NorCal, we have found if you set a fixed end point for high throttle and leave the low throttle at 'auto end point' it seems the Mezon reverts to auto end point for the high throttle. Found this chasing some unpredictable high throttle behaviour. Changing the low end to fixed end point resolved the high throttle unpredictable behaviour. I can't find anything in the documentation about this but it seems to happen this way and it is repeatable.

So, if you are using 'fixed' on one end and 'auto' on the other you might be getting some strange results.

Woodie
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
orthobird

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

can anyone guide me how to setup throttle hold, throttle lock, on my Jeti DS 16
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
orthobird

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i did figure it out on my own.
i set up 4 modes:
1. normal
2. idle 1
3. idle 2
4. throttle hold

the 1.2.3 above, is assigned to one switch (SA)

then throttle hold assigned to SH

then, i went into another menu, and assigned "throttle cut" to that switch (SH). now this overrides all others. when this is on, the others do not work.

then, i went to heli fine tuning
then to curves,
and on curve for normal (switch was in position for normal), i made it 5 point curve, and set it up so that at low stick, there is no throttle, at 2/8, throttle kicks in, and by 49% stick, it is at max throttle i want for it.

then i moved the switch to idle 1, and now, i made it so that at all the way low stick, there is motor rotation, but again, with it not being too aggressive

then, switch position idle 2, i made the "curve" a flat line, all the way across, of constant velocity.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a Mezon 95 Opto. I am looking for a good starting point on the braking. It will be going in my old Xigris using a Pletty Advance and 21X14 Falcon prop.

Dead Time - ?
Initial Brake - ?
End Brake - ?
Brake Speed - ?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 PM
flyboy91

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe,

What I start with is the following:

Dead Time 0.0
Initial Brake 40%
End Brake 60%
Brake Speed .1

This should give you a good downline speed, if to fast then increase both numbers by 10 percent at a time and to slow 5 percent reduction.

Andrew
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy91 View Post
Joe,

What I start with is the following:

Dead Time 0.0
Initial Brake 40%
End Brake 60%
Brake Speed .1

This should give you a good downline speed, if to fast then increase both numbers by 10 percent at a time and to slow 5 percent reduction.

Andrew
I've come across several different answers. I guess it depends on airframe and prop. Dave Snow gave me the following to start with:

0, 20%,50%, 0.5