Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft Motor Mount Questions - ALL Airplanes

Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BJ Craft Motor Mount Questions - ALL Airplanes

Hey all,

I'm interested in putting together a database of motor mount dimensions for all of BJ's airplanes. Ideally I'm going to make up a CAD drawing for each airplane with the motor options. Can those of you who've built airplanes of his reply here with the following info:

Motor Used
Diameter of Front or Rear plate (depending upon how it's mounted)
Diameter of mount bolts, and on what centers (distance from center of prop shaft to center of bolt)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Doug
it won't be that easy.. If you look at post #170 on the Bi Side thread I posted my starting dimensions for the template I made. But the final firewall was shaped to fit and wasn't that exact dimension. As for mounting, the pletty Advance 30-10 uses a 40mm bolt circle with 6 4mm bolts.

It was different on the Episode since the spinner is a smaller dimension. The mount was not circular, it was sort of oval shaped at the bottom. I think I posted my basic dimensions on the Episode thread but, once again, those were starting points and not the final exact dimensions.

It might be easier if we send B.J. the exact motor dimensions so he can generate the firewall drawing from his CAD model for the fuselages. He has a model for a hard mounted Neu F3A-1. But, most people are soft mounting that motor so he would also need the Budd mount details or the Hyde mount info. The Pletty and Q80 are hard mounted so motor dimensions would suffice. I'll send him a note and see what he thinks.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM
DaleT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In aircraft using the Himax firewall setup, are the motors generally directly hard-mounted to the firewall?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
In aircraft using the Himax firewall setup, are the motors generally directly hard-mounted to the firewall?
Yes