Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Axiome 70EP Build Log

Old 04-24-2014, 03:24 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dana I don't have mine built yet. As you know it's only been a few weeks so most are still being built. We've sold a lot of them so I suspect the reports will be filtering in soon.
I do know of a few in the air and the feedback we are getting is really strong. It looks like we have a "Winner"
We are donating one of these here at Chip Hyde's Arvin California contest this weekend. There is a lot of interest in the plane.
Mike
Old 04-24-2014, 05:02 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike, it's certainly a "Winner" by definition, as mfg. by Winner's Models, right? So 2 distributors, one across the pond as it were, a few build threads and no flight reports from the guys who have the "company plane?" Times have changed I guess, but with all the FB posts and promotion, some detail about how it flies, CG or set-up tweaks would be timely about now. Ok getting off the soap box, if someone has a photo of where they located a 5S, would love to see that too. Thanks in advance guys. Dana
Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Sorry Dana, the weather had been terrible when I built the airplane and I'm in the middle of a move back to North Carolina from Illinois. I'll try to do a better job next time.

I did remark that the airplane flew exceptionally well, needed CG adjusted aft, and had a modicum of roll coupling. I'll fly it more after I move, but right now, it's simply not a priority.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 AM
danamania

Sorry Ryan, I was rather hoping that others have also had a flight or two to add to your thorough build thread. I hope that I have not offended you in any way. Thank you for sharing your excellent work with us.

Ok, my kit arrived and I am delighted with my purchase. The fit & finish is truly the best of ANY ARF I have purchased in my years back in the hobby since youth. The included hardware is gorgeous and so right.

I already have my Hacker mounted, Ice 100 lite installed (both were on-hand) and pull-pull rudder set-up. Won't need that picture now LOL. That the exit slot is pre-cut under the covering is impressive to me.

Not sure if it will be ready for maiden this weekend, need to practice for the first contest of the season next Sat in Jackson NJ, but if it comes to pass, I will share my first impressions too. Sounds like I need to think about a pack location that allows me to explore the aft end of the CG range, correct? As for roll-coupling, what does the group recommend? Anyway, will have all season for trimming so no worries.

FLIGHT FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Have half a dozen flights on the Ax 70 now. It's nose heavy, but flyable. I bought it because it is very nice and I had all the parts for it save the ARF itself. The plan was to use my old 5S 5000s that still have life in them, but are a bit too tired for the 2m ships. With one of these as far aft as it will go I can get a CG of 145cm, but still have too much up ELE trim in and all the indications of a nose heavy model. That said, I have flown it through 402 twice and some other fun stuff and it all works, just not optimum trim yet. Will switch to 5S 4500s soon to see if that helps me get a more neutral CG and a bit more upline performance.

Set-up is the recommended Hacker, albeit a V2; the nice white Xoar 15x8; Ice 100 lite (mounted as far aft as I can); the Futaba S.Bus servos that are a little smaller than mini servos and can fit in the little Hitec sized holes in the ARF with minimal dremel work LOL. The rudder servo is actually a full-sized Futaba servo that was on-hand and must be helping me with CG a little too.

If set-up with the recommended maximum throws, even the low roll rates are insane so dialed the low rate down a bit at the field! With the aileron linkages and programming set to give symmetrical throws at the low rate (no differential), I believe it has a nice axial roll, but will watch to see if differential will be desirable as flight time accumulates.

The rudder is terrific and very effective; enough said! I would have liked a bit more elevator surface area, but whatever at this price point, right?

Practicing for Saturday's contest this afternoon, I asked myself if I would fly a round with my new Ax 70 for keepers: Maybe. I am not used to how it looks in the air with the low wing and cannalizer and she gets real small real fast LOL. That said, once the CG is worked out and she is in good pitch trim, I could see flying the Ax 70 in a contest for those rounds when it is opportune to fly something other than a 2m. Will definitely go in the mix for back-up and just for fun and good looks! I recommend it if this is the kind of ride and price point you are looking for in a small pattern plane. Wonder what others are getting out of flying these, do tell. Cheers! Dana

Last edited by danamania; 04-28-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 PM
danamania

Default My Ax 70 after a few flights...

Location of a 5S 4500 25C NanoTech that is starting to work for a pattern feeling CG in flight (top); and some nice custom graphics from B&E (below).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0053.JPG
Views:	2431
Size:	677.2 KB
ID:	1993928   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0051.JPG
Views:	2566
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	1993929  
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM
danamania

Default Xoar 16x10 rocks the Ax 70

After a dozen or so flights with the Xoar 15x8; I was not happy with either top speed or climb performance. Changed to a Xoar 16x10 today and it is a whole new airplane! Sure the Hacker and the 5S come down a little warmer, but its so worth it to be able to fly upwind at a respectable clip and to make the top of an up line before a premature stall turn results from lack of climb power. This makes so much sense now, the old Osiris performs so well on 6S with a 17x10; 16x12 would be the 5S prop for an Osiris; the smaller Ax 70 has a lot of cross-sectional area so the 16x10 must be getting some more thrust around the fuse than a 15x anything. Got through 402 twice with 3.8V left in each cell so no worries there. Yup, starting to feel like a nice little contest ship now.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM
danamania

Default Tech Aero 5S Throttle-Tech & a mod to get CG 160 with a 5S in the Ax 70

Ok, CG is now 160ish with a 5S pack overhanging the battery tray aft. Took a little former off with the Dremel to make this solution more permanent. Thick CA'ed the joint on either side of the Velcro strip to reinforce the tray to former joint. A little hot glue to keep the wiring harness out of harms way when securing the battery strap (not shown) around the 5S because its tight in there compared to any 2m LOL! Note also the location of the ESC to help get to this CG.

A Tech-Aero Throttle-Tech is secured to the sidewall (with double-stick tape): Our beloved "Throttle-B!t*#," don't take-off without it! No seriously, these things are the greatest invention since the ESC. Why you ask? Ok, T-T gives you the same throttle/power feel from beginning to end of the flight, just like in an IC model. Without getting too technical, T-T measures the voltage off the 5S (one of those little twisted pairs, the other is the EXT-VOL lead to the Futaba R7003SB telemetry Rx) and adjusts the signal between the Rx and ESC to maintain a near constant output power at the motor. No more babying the throttle stick at the beginning of the flight to have Volts left for the last few maneuvers (or an unscheduled go-around)! Finally, the Xoar 16x10 up front. The spinner cone needs a bit more relief to fit the larger prop: something to do another day LOL!

Name:	DSCF0091.JPG
Views:	2382
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	1995062   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0089.JPG
Views:	2322
Size:	675.6 KB
ID:	1995063   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0084.JPG
Views:	2294
Size:	703.4 KB
ID:	1995064  
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 AM
danamania

Default Grounded!

Well folks...

I burned out my old V2 A50-14XS having too much fun with my over-propped Ax 70 on Tuesday! Was putting in a burner in brisk winds when that groaning sound like a prop spinning loose howled downwind. Was 2 mistakes high and able to get her upwind for a slow & soft landing, but short of the grass. No obvious damage, but will have to inspect the gear block to be sure. The motor feels like it threw a magnet or worse (prop was fine & secure). Anyway, the Ax 70 is grounded until that mess gets sorted out (cooling may be an issue as well as prop choice LOL).
Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 PM
danamania

Default Airworthy again, and a little lighter...

As it turned out, there was no damage to the gear block, so I replaced the Hacker with the new V3 version. The V3 seems to run a little cooler than the V2, so that was a great start. I put a few flights on the V3 Ax 70 with the recommended 15x8 and again didn't realize the performance needed for aerobatics. Then I went back to the 16x10 for a few easy flights and the performance returned. Taking care to let the V3 cool between flights, I got the idea that we could fix 2 problems with one solution: Open up some cooling holes and remove some of the redundant structure inside the fuse to reduce the nose-heavyness and improve airflow. The Ax 70 is really nicely built-up, perhaps too much so for an electric and I think one could convert to glow with all that wood!

Another improvement is the slightly lighter Performance Unlimited 5S 4500 35C (sitting where the 5S 4500 25C NanoTechs sat). I haven't flown these new packs yet so the lightened Ax70 will be a nice platform to break them in a little before they go into a 2m ship. With the lighter pack, a little less structure, and improved cooling, I am optimistic that I can finally realize the desired CG and performance without burning out another motor. We'll see this weekend if these mods work as hoped. Wish me luck, cheers!

Name:	DSCF0096.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2008802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0143.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	705.2 KB
ID:	2008803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0144.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	711.6 KB
ID:	2008804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0150.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	2008805   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0152.JPG
Views:	889
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	2008806   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0154.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	2008807  

Last edited by danamania; 06-25-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I have two sets of 4500's in 10S configuration and so far they are performing well with 36 flights on each set to date.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 PM
danamania

Originally Posted by J Lachowski View Post
I have two sets of 4500's in 10S configuration and so far they are performing well with 36 flights on each set to date.
Yup, that's why I bought them when they went on sale at F3AU. Put the first 3 flights on one pair today in the Ax70. So far, so good: the mods are working.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:55 AM
mups53

Hey Everyone we are having a nice sale on the Axiome 70's remaining in stock.
This includes all combo's.
We have a limited amount left in stock and after that we will discontinue it.
It's a really nice plane and we have received many compliments on it and repeat orders. If you we're sitting on the fence about one this might just be the time to pull the trigger.
Here is the listing:
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/airplane...lass-airplanes
If you need help with combos give us a call.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Yup, that's why I bought them when they went on sale at F3AU. Put the first 3 flights on one pair today in the Ax70. So far, so good: the mods are working.
Just out of curiosity, how would you compare the flying characteristics of the Axiome 70 to the Fantasista 70?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 AM
mups53

Hey Lewis I think Dana is more qualified to say on this. He has both.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 AM
danamania

Originally Posted by mups53 View Post
Hey Lewis I think Dana is more qualified to say on this. He has both.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Yes and no Mike, lol. While I have both, I have not flown my Ax 70 since June. Actually, the last guy to fly it was Dean Pappas who asked for a pull on it at our LVRCS Classic Pattern contest back in June: Dean liked it. After the LV, I was totally focused on the Nats so both 70's got a rest. After the Nats, I was still trimming my Natcho' so the Ax70 stayed in the hangar, so to speak. Since the last contest this season for me in August, I have been taking a little break from things RC to catch-up with life, meaning the minimum amount of pattern practice for skills maintenance. I do not plan to do a "head-to-head" comparison of the 70's, so I think all I can offer is that one might decide based on wanting to own a built-up wood airframe vs. a glass fuse one, etc. They are both nice enough, but for my purposes the Natcho' is closer to the Nuance for the way I see and fly a pattern plane. That said, I will probably go back to flying the Ax70 when I have some time this fall, as I think it will perform better in the cooler, more dense air than in the dead of Summer with a 16X10.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 AM
32Ford

Hi guy's! I just recently acquired an Axiome 70 and need some info please. I did not receive the manual with the model and their doesn't appear to be one online anywhere. My specific questions are (1) What is the recommended starting CG? (2) What are the control throw, dr & expo recommendations? (3) Recommended mixes and amounts? This is my first F3A airframe and i'd like to start out without having to guess and end up with an overly sensitive first flight.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 PM
rabflyer
My Feedback: (74)

ryan, thanks for a great build thread. I learned how to set up the linkages correctly,been doing it. wrong for many years. just started to build the galactic 90, another great CPLR design, and is a high quality airframe. bob
Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Aviv
My Feedback: (1)

Ryan,
Excellent build thread. I am following your step by step instruction and find it extremely helpful.
The Kit is beautiful BTW and Mike was very helpful advising me on gear etc.. Thanks Mike!
I will only comment in cases where additional information could be useful to other and so far i have found very little i can contribute..
Here is one - the tail wheel assembly thread is 1/4-20. So if you wick too much CA, like i did, tapping it again with tapping tool instead of the wheel assembly makes thing smooth again.
Again, thanks Ryan !!
Aviv