Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft Fantasista 70

Old 07-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Dw87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first nuance didn't come wit any spacers either. My second one had some cut in the plywood pieces. However on the first kit I mad some out of some thin pieces of plastic I had so I used them on my second nuance as well. I have pictures of them in my build I did on rcgroups.

The big thing is of course don't have any binding if the stab moves any.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:48 AM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I was not thinking last night when I wrote the reply. I went through your thread on rcgroup and saw the reference to the spacers. I can get sheets of styrene at the local hobby shop so I will make the spacers from that. I am still tempted to glue the spacers to the balsa face of the stab as I think that over time the balsa would wear out around the spacer if slip if allowed.

Thank you for the help,

Teo
Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Dw87

Or put 2 on each side. Glue one to fuse and one to stab. That way the surfaces rub on each other and not fuse or stab. The stab moves so little that even wit one you should be fine. I'm sure you know this, but when you put it all together your not binding the halves of the stab to the fuse.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have access to a laser cutter so if you need these laser cut I can probably make some if you provide the dimensions
Old 07-28-2015, 03:53 AM
viva_peru

Ltc,

Thank you for the offer. I think that I can cut the spacers from a styrene sheet, it should not be too difficult.

Teo
Old 08-17-2015, 06:59 AM
viva_peru

Hello all,

I finally finished assembling the plane and managed to get three flights yesterday. I think that I will need to make some adjustments but I the plane has a lot of potential. It definitely feel a little different in the air: the ailerons seem a little soft around center (20% expo) and seem to kick in once the stick is 1/3rd past center (low rates, 9/-8 degrees). I guess I will have to play with my settings. The elevator feels is also a little unusual.

During the build, I got a little lazy and I did not check the incidence of the wings (left to right) before gluing in the rear carbon anti rotation rod. As it turns out, the wings are slightly off (0.4 degrees or so) and the model needed some aileron trim in order to get it to fly wings level. That will be the project for this week.

I also noticed that the stabs are off from left to right. In this case, the difference is more significant; about 1 degree. I followed the instructions, so the carbon rods are glued on one side and screwed in the other. I think that I can correct this, we will see.

Finally the motor is running a little hot so I will have to add the cooling holes on the side cheeks. I had left them out, but the motor would like to have them. I am using one of the Gator RC vented spinners and I thought that it would be enough. I also made sure to add vents on the bottom fuselage rearward of the wing tube.

Teo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FANTASITA_FIELD.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2114865  

Last edited by viva_peru; 08-17-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 AM
ltc

Here is a translation of the online manual for the Fantasista 70.
It goes along with the original Japanese manual which has all the photos.
Hope it helps someone ... I still have my Fantasista 70 and Type G belt drive sitting in the box ... looks like a winter build at this point.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fantasista70ep_trans.pdf (50.7 KB, 323 views)
Old 08-26-2015, 04:51 PM
viva_peru

I managed to get a few more flights over the weekend and I am starting to really like the airplane. It flies well. I was able to get stab halves aligned but I still need to adjust the wings a little. The need for aileron trim is still there. I have also checked the lateral balance and it is good.

I have been playing with the CG as well and it appears to be quite a ways back relative to what everyone else is using. I think the manual suggested 110 mm, I read 120 mm somewhere and I am close to 130 mm. The plane still need a little more down pressure that I am used to and I wondering if something is off in terms of alignment. I am using a couple of degrees of elevator differential as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Teo
Old 08-26-2015, 05:31 PM
ltc

Perhaps take the canalyzer off and make sure it is not causing any issues due to its incidence relative to the wing/stab?

Im curious if the "dog tooth" leading edge on the wing might explain what you described for aileron response?
The 120 size Fantasista has a straight leading edge and I don't recall any similar observations
The new 120 size Fantasista has the "dog tooth" wing as the 70 does but haven't seen any flight reports yet

Last edited by ltc; 08-26-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
danamania

Recently I have gone back to flying the Fantasista 70 regularly because it has a similar profile (visual picture) to the Invitation to my eye. What I have been doing is learning new maneuvers on the Fantasista before trying them on the Invitation. I too was curious about the effect of the small canalizer and so removed it for a about a dozen flights. It did not seem to really make much difference either way so I put it back on. It really is a nifty little model and I always enjoy flying it when I bring it along for the day at the field. That said, I did accept the stock wing incidence and live with the vey little aileron trim that is dialed in. The canalizer on the Invitation is relatively much larger, and so I followed advice to not fly it without. The KE power of the Invitation is awe inspiring, truly! I really like the unique value that BJ's newer models deliver. Great flying fun for my hobby dollars!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 AM
viva_peru

Ltc,

I did check the alignment of the canalyzer relative to the wing and it is set to match the wing incidence on the LHS. In the end, I needed to sand and trip the balsa spacers proivded in the kit to achive alignment. It is interesting to see that Dana also found the need for some aileron trim.

I did forget to mention that the plane pulls to the canopy on KE with right rudder. I am not sure if it did the same with left rudder. I will have to check it this weekend. Also, on the down lines, it does have a pull to the canopy. If I remember correctly, the fix for this is to increase the wing incidence.

Teo
Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 PM
viva_peru

Hmmm..

I found another interesting quirk. Please keep in mind that I am relatively new and by no means an expert at trimming a plane. At any rate, I was trying a few spins today and it seems that the plane will do a fairly nice spin on elevator and rudder alone; no ailerons. If you add ailerons, the rate of rotation goes up and the nose drops. I tried it a few different times with the same results each time. The plane also seems to drop a wing rather violently when stalled, but I did not take note if it was always the same wing. I have checked the lateral balance and it is pretty close to being perfectly balanced. Has anyone noticed the something similar?

Teo
Old 07-30-2021, 07:54 PM
[email protected]

Default Throws

Originally Posted by viva_peru
Hmmm..

I found another interesting quirk. Please keep in mind that I am relatively new and by no means an expert at trimming a plane. At any rate, I was trying a few spins today and it seems that the plane will do a fairly nice spin on elevator and rudder alone; no ailerons. If you add ailerons, the rate of rotation goes up and the nose drops. I tried it a few different times with the same results each time. The plane also seems to drop a wing rather violently when stalled, but I did not take note if it was always the same wing. I have checked the lateral balance and it is pretty close to being perfectly balanced. Has anyone noticed the something similar?

Teo
I'm getting ready to Maiden this plane, can you tell me what throws you ended up with? The translated manual attached above indicates 11mm for aileron and 12mm for elevator. That seems like too much throw for a flying stab?