Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Sbus or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sbus or not?

Hi
I have a futaba system with recivers that handels Sbus ...is there any advantages to use it or is it just a "gadget" the recivers has all the channels I need , but to use it I have to put in a kind off hub (or make one myself) to conect the servoes from the sbus "channel" on the rx ..but is it any advantages to to this????
some speak off faster response on the servoes?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

One advantage of SBUS is the ability to run a single servo lead/extension down to the tail (to control multiple servos, like rudder, split elevators) rather than having to run a dedicated servo lead/extension for each one.
This does save weight a bit.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/sbus/
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-sbus.html

Review
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319025
Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With S.Bus, I never have to worry about plugging in the ailerons incorrectly, one less problem to have.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So ...I have 2 servoes in the front (rudder and elevator) and the servo leads for the ailron is outside the fuse ...so I have nothing to gain on it?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Can you use the sbus programmable servos with a non-sbus radio and still take advantage of the programming? It would be nice to set the endpoint via the programming rather than the transmitter when trying to match servo throws. Even better would be to match up the throws at various points other than the endpoints.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM
danamania

Yes, all you need is an S-Bus receiver and a way to program the servos.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster
Can you use the sbus programmable servos with a non-sbus radio and still take advantage of the programming? It would be nice to set the endpoint via the programming rather than the transmitter when trying to match servo throws. Even better would be to match up the throws at various points other than the endpoints.
The answer is yes you can plug them into a non S Bus receiver and they will act just like any other servo. Futaba has a program you download and use a computer link to program their S Bus servos. That's exactly what I did with my latest Bi Plane.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Portlandflyer
The answer is yes you can plug them into a non S Bus receiver and they will act just like any other servo. Futaba has a program you download and use a computer link to program their S Bus servos. That's exactly what I did with my latest Bi Plane.
Great!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I put together my MythoS Pro in the spring I was thinking of using S.Bus for the servos in the tail (one ruddder servo and two elevator servos) and although I would have saved some weight by using one common servo lead instead of 3 leads I did not dare because of the safety - that both servo leads to elevator should break at same time is less likely. But I use S.Bus 2 for the Futaba current sensor in my MythoS Pro - works great.
Robbe has S.Bus hubs:
http://www.robbe.de/rc-fernsteuerung...re=en&limit=48
http://www.robbe.de/rc-fernsteuerung...n&limit=48&p=2

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 09-02-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I was thinking there is not much to gain in a pattern plane with only 2, or maybe 3 servos in the tail. But I just realized Xbus only requires 2-wire extensions, therefore you can have 3 servos in the tail with only a 2-wire lead from the receiver. So that's a small weight benefit I guess I don't see much of a reason to go out of your way to run Xbus in a pattern plane unless you find Xbus programming preferable to standard radio programming. It seems to make sense for airplanes with a lot more servos and wiring.

If you like the ability to individually program servos, there are Xbus converters with various number of servo ports for running standard analog/digital servos with an Xbus system: http://www.jramericas.com/234035/JRPX03679/
Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

If you are running smaller than 35% sized plane, a heli or a jet AND you use all sbus servos it is great. On bigger planes you cant get enough current thru the small wires and servo speed and power suffers. The hubs that allow you to plug in a standard servo have had some failures.. A friend had several fail on the bench setting up a plane. Cycle power and they would start working quit sporadically again. Not good. Go all or nothing with sbus..
Old 09-03-2014, 04:09 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba S-bus servos can be programmed with a PC. Here is a screen shot from the manual. To be able to set the dead band is something interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 7.03.32 AM.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2028435  

Last edited by nonstoprc; 09-03-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM
MAVROS

Hi all,

Just wondering once you install the servos in the tail how do you connect the programming cable to your computer.
Can you program the servos via the SBUS wire?
Futaba are not very good in giving clear instruction

rgards
Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you can program any servo on the bus by connecting your programming device to any point on the bus - provided you have previously noted the address of the servo BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT TO THE BUS. There is no way to interrogate the bus and find the individual servo addresses once they are all connected. In this case you need to disconnect the servo you want to program and connect it directly to the programmer.

Please don't ask me how I know that :-)
Malcolm
Old 09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
MAVROS

Thanks Malcolm,

I had a feeling it was going to be as easy as that but like you say where is it written...

rgds

Mavros