Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Old 09-01-2021, 07:49 AM
mgosson
My Feedback: (8)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first photo was the original location of the battery pack, after repairing the landing I ended up moving the tray and esc back.
As you have figured out the rudder servo is designed to be installed in the fuse.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:32 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, everything on mine is well forward of your early set up. So something is different. But Iíll put the CG where it needs to beÖ
Old 09-01-2021, 05:10 PM
husafreak

I got the Roaring Top 4300 35C packs today. 500g each, really light. My old Gator 5200 packs are 620g. So two pics here, With the light batteries and positioned as shown and everything else as far forward as possible this gives me a CG 225mm back, thatís about 20mm behind the spar tube rear face. In comparison is the Gator pack location for the same CG. So it looks like if you have very light packs and prefer a forward CG you might need nose weight. Iíll fly then decide. I will add some structure and Velcro up front to actually mount everything and reinforce the battery tray so that will help a bit.

1240g battery

1000g battery
Old 09-01-2021, 05:18 PM
husafreak

Also I have a question about the stab mounting. With the design it looks like the stabs could be individually adjustable but with a screw into the spar tube on each side that is not so. Getting those holes drilled through the CF tube even slightly off would be a disaster! Do you recommend adjusting each stab with an incidence meter, eyeballing the results, and then drilling the holes? Or is there a better (safer) way?
Old 09-01-2021, 06:08 PM
mgosson

On the early models I thought the stabs were adjustable, but latter versions omitted that option. This is from memory of a few years ago.

Normally the stabs would set at zero with the wings at .5 degrees. Keep in mind once you trim the elevator halves you will adjust the stabs to keep the everything even.

I would set the stabs by eye and use a digital meter to set the wings and T Can.

Also, make certain you replace the wood dowel in the CF tube. The supplied dowel is usually too short and is crappy wood.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 PM
husafreak

My version has a cf rod maybe 3mm through the fuselage, each stab has grub screws above and below that rod, so I thought you can adjust the incidence of the stabs by adjusting those up or down. Now you have me thinking those are only to retain the stabs? Iíll have to have another look at that tomorrow. Each stab has a pre drilled hole out at the end of the stab spar tube on the underside. I figured that was for a screw through the stab into the tube to retain the stabs. Yes I intend to have the stabs at 0 so any adjusting is just to make it that. Iíll call Mike. You are right about the wood inserts, mine fell out even covered with glue.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:23 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
I'm fishing for comments here. But I am puzzled why my Caelus is so tail heavy?
The tailwheel wire is at least twice the diameter needed and there is no need for that huge spring.
The tailwheel looks too big as well.
Replace the wire with smaller diameter and make the wire come straight down then angle back.
The rest of the bracket shape etc is good......if the bracket is steel....replace it with aluminum.
There was a huge steel bolt in the tail used for the stab incidence....hopefully that has been removed.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:13 PM
husafreak

Hmmm, the tail wheel from the kit seems pretty light and small to me but if I need to move the CG forward I could get aluminum turnbuckles and try to lighten the linkage. Thanks to you and Mike I understand how the stabs are held, itís not complicated but it is different than the original. Iíll add some pics. Iíll have to admit to a lot of Hysol in the tail which was required because the hinge holes were completely ridiculous and after opening them up I was more concerned with a safe linkage than sparing glue. Plus I glued a modest plywood plate in the tail for a rear mount rudder servo which Iím no longer using.
And who knows (not me I havenít flown the complex F3A patterns in many years) but 1000g batteries may not be adequate?
Built as intended with an 1100g battery on the tray it would be close to perfect average CG. Somehow I convinced myself it would trend nose heavy and built accordingly, not so!

Servo installation

Slot for adjusting stab

Screw into spar tube

Grub screw adjusters top and bottom

Spar tube and 3mm rod
Old 09-04-2021, 03:14 PM
mgosson

In the end you have done the correct methods to complete the airframe. If you are flying Sportsman, Intermediate or Advanced class a set of (2) 5S 4300 - 4500 25-30C lipos will complete the entire schedule. Early on I used 5S, 4400 Thunder Power , 25C rating. These weighed in at 520 grams = 1,040 in total, plenty of power to spare.

Changing from stainless to aluminum turnbuckles will gain you nothing in the end, the rods are too short to make any difference.

Keep the questions coming

Mike
Old 09-04-2021, 06:45 PM
husafreak

Thanks for the positive rienforcement Mike! I'm getting excited to fly this plane.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:39 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
Hmmm, the tail wheel from the kit seems pretty light and small to me
I was referring to the tail wheel WIRE....not the wheel.
The wheel looks to be light enough.
More than likely....you will have to find several things on the tail that need to be removed or replaced with something lighter.
As an example.....on your pix of the stab....it looks like there is a 'plate' on the root of the airfoil next to the fuselage.
Is it wood or what?
Perhaps you could remove it from both stabs. If you want something to take up the gap...I have used 1/8 light foam from Hobby Lobby.
It is very light and you can use 3m 77 contact glue to hold it in place.
There is no picture of the prop.....you can use a APC prop....they weigh a lot more than most others.
You can move the rudder servo and mounting plate forward to just behind the wing incidence adjusters.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:56 AM
husafreak

The blue ďplateĒ on the stabs is thin factory applied foam. This is on the wings as well, a nice touch on this kit. I agree that the spring coil on the tail wheel is probably not necessary. Prop is a Falcon 20x13 and they are very light. I imagine a Tru Turn spinner would be heavier than the Gator (or a Falcon) spinner too.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:50 PM
bburrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caelus PDF manual?

Does anyone have the Caelus PDF manual they could share?
Seems no longer to be found on the TopRCModel website.
Can't seem to find the manual anywhere and I just bought an unbuilt kit.

Thanks